Sound Blaster 16 CD-ROM not found ...

Post by Olivier Hislair » Wed, 03 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Probably I shouldn't have, but I did it. I wanted to see what that Linux
looked like and installed it (slackware 3.0) in a Linux native partition
of my PC. Problem is, it does not want to see my CD-ROM.

The (4X) CD-ROM is part of the Sound Blaster 16 multimedia kit (IDE
ATAPI) from Creative Labs; the controller is the Plug and Play ISA
Creative Sound Blaster 16 card. My 486 DX2 already have another IDE
controller with 2 disks connected on it.

I've read several times the documentation available. I've tried using
sbpcd, idecd, cdu31a, (from the Q series) etc. without any result. I made
the configuration program scan for it, without any result.

Do not even know what CD-ROM it is. All I know is what DOS tells me when
I boot:

Sound Blaster card (Plug and Play):
     A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6

CD-ROM driver:
     Oak Technology Inc OTI-011 CD-ROM device driver
     Driver name: MSCD001
     Transfert rate: Programmed I/O
     Nbr of drives: 2
     Drive 0: Port 1E8 IRQ 11 CR-581 1.05
     Drive 1: Port 1E8 IRQ 11 CR-581 1.05

Is there anything to do with the Sound/controller card before the CD-ROM
can be recognized ? Is there any kernel, driver or patch to be downloaded
from anywhere ? Is there anything I missed in the documentation or
elsewhere ? Should (if possible) the CD-ROM be configured as 'master' or
'slave' (there is no other device on that card) ? Don't like giving up,
but that stuff cost me already too much time. Any help is welcome.

Thanks,

Post by Gary Schreib » Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:00:00

[...]

If I remember correctly, Linux does not support a tertiary IDE interface
without some kernel tweaking.  An IRQ of 11 suggest that it is configured
for a tertiary interface.  Reconfigure the CD interface to IRQ 15, and
it should work better.  THEN, use the 'idecd' kernel.  Also, the CD-ROM
should be configured as Master.  Hope this helps.  LaTeR.

--
---

aka K'dor, rider of brown Teth  -  Desolate Weyr

An interesting quote from a friend:
"...when he was young, like I use to be when I was young, ..."
                                         -D. Miller

Post by Colin Gilye » Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:00:00

[...]

: --
: ---

: aka K'dor, rider of brown Teth  -  Desolate Weyr

: An interesting quote from a friend:
: "...when he was young, like I use to be when I was young, ..."
:                                          -D. Miller
I'm having a similar problem, except that my CD-ROM is at IRQ 10.  I have
already decided that this is a quatereny ide.  my question is how do you
reconfigure the CD IRQ to be IRQ 15.

Thanks
Colin Gilyeat

Post by Dale Ghe » Fri, 05 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: I've read several times the documentation available. I've tried using
: sbpcd, idecd, cdu31a, (from the Q series) etc. without any result. I made
: the configuration program scan for it, without any result.

Try /dev/hdc if it an ATAPI cdrom and you say that you already have two
other (Physical?) harddisks (/dev/hda and /dev/hdb)

: Do not even know what CD-ROM it is. All I know is what DOS tells me when
: I boot:

Being a Sound Blaster, it may be a MItsumi Quad Speed, but I may be wrong.

: Sound Blaster card (Plug and Play):
:      A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6

This is only for your sound

1. Sound Blaster 16 CD-ROM not found ....

Just as someone mentioned, make sure your CDROM is setup as a master
drive.  You can find documentation on this in the SB16 manual.  The
jumpers to change are located in the rear of the CDROM drive.  You
just have to switch the jumper from SLAVE to MASTER.

I don't know if Linux can read a Teritary ide port, or a Quartiary
for that matter, but I just configured my sound card to be a secondary
ide port.  YOu just need to change two jumpers, also listed in the
SB16 manual.  Basically, you will be setting the interrupt to IRQ15.

Also, the IDE/ATAPI is the right driver to use in Linux.

--

     *        .    *       ________________ _      .    ____      *
                 .     .  <-_______________|*) .  ___==/    \==___

|                                      |                                    |
| "WE COME IN PEACE - SHOOT TO KILL"   |    Computer Engineering            |
|              Capt. James T. Kirk     |    North Carolina State University |

2. Redhat 4.2 & Matrox Milennium

3. Chinon CDS-535 CD-ROM/Sound Blaster 16 SCSI-2 Mount problems

4. Inetd Configuration Question

5. Help CD-ROM Sound Blaster 16 install.

6. Looking For A Quotas Kernel. HELP.

7. Sound Blaster 16 and CD-ROM MITSUMI ATAPI

8. dosemu prob...

9. Sound Blaster 16 PnP x Creative CD-ROM 4x PC2 Question

10. Slackware won't recognize Sound Blaster 16 CD-ROM

11. Sound Blaster 16. + IDE CD-ROM connector

12. Sound Blaster 16 SCSI CD-ROM

13. Problem with Sound Blaster 16 With Panasonic CD-ROM under Linux System