FAT32 Permissions change after time ?

Post by ben lessa » Tue, 03 May 2005 09:54:23

Hi,

I have really strange problem whereby after about a day, my server
will change its permissions on a FAT32 mounted partition.

mount -t vfat -o rw,umask=000,gid=501 /dev/hdd1 /mnt/server/

I use the above command to mount the partition, and after mounting,
the windows file share is fine, and everyone who is part of the group
can r/w. But after about 1 day, the permissions seem to expire, people
are able to read from the share, but cannot write.

I am using Fedora Core 3, and other that this I have no other real
issues.

Regards.
Ben Lessani

Ps. The only reason I am posting here is because google is not letting
me post elsewhere. None of the groups appear to be archived any
longer.

FAT32 Permissions change after time ?

Post by Jonathan A » Tue, 03 May 2005 11:16:15

On 1 May 2005 17:54:23 -0700, ben lessani

Quote:> mount -t vfat -o rw,umask=000,gid=501 /dev/hdd1 /mnt/server/

> I use the above command to mount the partition, and after mounting,
> the windows file share is fine, and everyone who is part of the group
> can r/w. But after about 1 day, the permissions seem to expire, people
> are able to read from the share, but cannot write.

Dunno. What do you have (if anything) in /etc/fstab for the partition?
Do you have any cron jobs that might remount the partition nightly?

--
Don't just hit reply. Email address is broken. Thank
your friendly neighborhood spammer. Email replies to:

FAT32 Permissions change after time ?

Post by less.. » Wed, 04 May 2005 02:50:55

i removed the partition from mounting in the fstab, and i only do it
manually after booting (because i was getting errors).

i have no cron jobs - that i know of.

FAT32 Permissions change after time ?

Post by Jonathan A » Wed, 04 May 2005 03:55:43

Quote:> i removed the partition from mounting in the fstab, and i only do it
> manually after booting (because i was getting errors).

Just use the "noauto" option, and it won't be mounted until you call it.
(Although I wonder what errors, and why, and if they were related to
what you're seeing now.)

Somtehing like:

/dev/hdd1 /mnt/server vfat noauto,rw,umask=000,gid=501  0 0

Then you'd only have to do "mount /mnt/server" to mount it manually
with your options. If something *is* remounting the partition, I'd
imagine whatever options you have in fstab would be used.

Quote:> i have no cron jobs - that i know of.

Maybe something set up by your distro. Try "crontab -l" as root,
and maybe "crontab -l nobody" or just look at the files in the
/var/spool/crontab/crontabs dir. (Or wherever your distro has it.)

I wonder if "supermount" or "automount" might have been configured for
that partition and somehow be interfering. A grep for the string "mount"
in the syslogs might turn up something.

--

Post by Moe Tr » Wed, 04 May 2005 05:00:17

>I have really strange problem whereby after about a day, my server
>will change its permissions on a FAT32 mounted partition.

Are you sure this isn't a security feature of your distribution? Some
have a cron job set up to put what it believes to be "sane" permissions
and/or ownership on files.  FAT32 has no ownership or permissions, so
you are seeing the permission shift on the mounted system.

Quote:>I use the above command to mount the partition, and after mounting,
>the windows file share is fine, and everyone who is part of the group
>can r/w. But after about 1 day, the permissions seem to expire, people
>are able to read from the share, but cannot write.

And the permissions are? If the file and directory permissions look
normal, does /etc/mtab still show the partition mounted r/w ?

Quote:>I am using Fedora Core 3, and other that this I have no other real
>issues.

Nothing happens on the system without a command being run. I'd look at
the system and root crontabs to see all of the jobs running nightly.
Look at /etc/crontab for the system, and run 'crontab -l' as root for the
root crontab.

Quote:>Ps. The only reason I am posting here is because google is not letting
>me post elsewhere. None of the groups appear to be archived any
>longer.

What's wrong with using the university's news server?

        Old guy

FAT32 Permissions change after time ?

Post by less.. » Wed, 04 May 2005 08:51:36

hey, i tried checking the cron jobs, and there is nothing
there..........(so confused)

FAT32 Permissions change after time ?

Post by Jonathan A » Thu, 05 May 2005 04:47:10

Quote:> hey, i tried checking the cron jobs, and there is nothing
> there..........(so confused)

How about the syslogs... did you look there? And the line I suggested
that you add to fstab?

As an OT pointer... it's a good idea to leave enough quoted material in
your replies to allow someone who comes in the middle of the thread to
see what's going on, and put it in context.

If I had just stumbled on this thread, and didn't have the entire thread
available, I'd have no idea what you were talking about when I saw the
post I'm replying to, here... so I would not have replied. :)

ciao,
Jonathan

--

Post by Moe Tr » Thu, 05 May 2005 04:56:45

>hey, i tried checking the cron jobs, and there is nothing
>there..........(so confused)

That would be HIGHLY unusual. Virtually every Linux installation I've
ever seen is running cron of some variant. Fedora comes with two types
of cron daemon - 'anacron' (for systems not running 24/7) and 'vixie-cron'
(a standard Unix cron for systems running 24/7). Find a command prompt,
and type

   rpm -qa | grep cron

to see what all is installed. The packages you are looking for are
_probably_ 'anacron-2.3-32', 'crontabs-1.10-7' and 'vixie-cron-4.1-??'
(-19 out of box, -24 or -33 if it's being kept up to date with the errata).

The point is that _something_ is changing those permissions. A very strong
possibility is a security "feature" that Red Hat included - which would be
run out of a cron job.  A more unwelcome answer is that someone has access
to your system as root, and is changing the permissions. Not very likely,
but that's about it.

        Old guy

Post by Joe Beanfis » Sun, 08 May 2005 02:37:11

>> hey, i tried checking the cron jobs, and there is nothing
>> there..........(so confused)

Check some more. Redhat/fedora (and maybe others) don't use crontabs
in /var/spool/cron that can be accessed with the crontab command
by default (though you can set them up yourself). They use
/etc/crontab which then just runs other other scripts on
hourly, daily, etc schedules. See /etc/cron*

1. Cant change permissions on mounted Fat32 drive?

Because of shortage of space on my Linux partition I have mounted my Win
partition (FAT32) to store data files. The FAT32 partition is mounted
 (automatically at boot and I have no trouble looking at it or writing
to it normally) on /mnt/win/server this is symlinked to /home/server -
(/home/server
 --> /mnt/win/server) for the benefit of Samba users. The problem I have
is that what ever I do with it, chown, chmod, chgrp I can't seem to make
it
 writeable through samba; the Samba users cannot write to it full stop.

 Does anyone have any ideas how I can persuade Linux to let Samba
client/users write to this HD/partition? I've tried changing permissions
on the
 symlink, on mount, on the directory itself but nothing seems to work.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. ppp & mailservers

3. Change directory permissions at certain date/time

4. steps to setup ethernet link on PC/RT requested

5. Informix problems afters Y2K Solaris 2.5 patch

6. ethernet/ pppoe connexion probleme

7. callback, ppp, and morning-afters

8. Soundcard AC97 with Redhat 7.1

9. write permission on a FAT32 USB drive

10. Permission probs for fat32, RH8

11. Giving Permission to Users to RW a FAT32 partition

12. user permissions on fat32 partition

13. permissions, file system limitations, FAT32