Intel 915 ICH6, no DMA mode problem

Intel 915 ICH6, no DMA mode problem

Post by xask » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 19:29:23



Hi,
I just bought a new laptop it configuration -
Intel 915 board (with ICH6 I/O controller)
512 RAM,
60 GB HDD (IDE),
DVD combo (Phillips,IDE)
 etc..
my problem is that when i boot up any Linux
distribution(PHLAK,Knoppix5,Fedora5), my hardisk and DVD drive get
detected as /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd, but transfer rate are damn slow!

i did a hdparm -t /dev/hdc  which relvealed a rate of 1.57 MBps and
hdparm -t /dev/hdd revealed 1.7 MBps
hdparm -i /dev/hdc (and hdd) reveales that dma is disabled
my first suspision was a un-enabled dma mode in BIOS, I checked the
BIOS setting, and it already had dma and udma enabled for both devices,
still no linux distribution lets me enable dma.
when i try to enable it manually using "hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc" and on hdd
it gave me permission denied error , no matter what i do i cannot
enable dma.
i googled the problem to find out that the ICH6 I/O chip is actually a
common controller for IDE and SATA devices, so linux detects the
controller as SATA controller and the hard disks as IDE devices and
when it tries to enable dma it fails(due to some technical problem with
libata and piix_ata, i couldnt exactly grasp). To fix the problem, they
suggested turning the "Combined Mode" off (common controller for SATA
and IDE) in the BIOS, but my BIOS doesnt let me turn off this feature.

So Im stuck with no dma and poor transfer rate,
note however that windows works perfectly well, Its a Linux kernel bug
that's that problem
and I am a ardent Linux user and dont prefer Windows

some sites also recommend recompiling kernels using patches .
Is there some other HACK for this problem?
Thanks in advance

 
 
 

Intel 915 ICH6, no DMA mode problem

Post by chuckca » Sat, 24 Jun 2006 05:21:17




Quote:> Hi,
> I just bought a new laptop it configuration -
> Intel 915 board (with ICH6 I/O controller)
> 512 RAM,
> 60 GB HDD (IDE),
> DVD combo (Phillips,IDE)
>  etc..
> my problem is that when i boot up any Linux
> distribution(PHLAK,Knoppix5,Fedora5), my hardisk and DVD drive get
> detected as /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd, but transfer rate are damn slow!

> i did a hdparm -t /dev/hdc  which relvealed a rate of 1.57 MBps and
> hdparm -t /dev/hdd revealed 1.7 MBps
> hdparm -i /dev/hdc (and hdd) reveales that dma is disabled
> my first suspision was a un-enabled dma mode in BIOS, I checked the
> BIOS setting, and it already had dma and udma enabled for both
> devices, still no linux distribution lets me enable dma.
> when i try to enable it manually using "hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc" and on
> hdd it gave me permission denied error , no matter what i do i cannot
> enable dma.
> i googled the problem to find out that the ICH6 I/O chip is actually a
> common controller for IDE and SATA devices, so linux detects the
> controller as SATA controller and the hard disks as IDE devices and
> when it tries to enable dma it fails(due to some technical problem
> with libata and piix_ata, i couldnt exactly grasp). To fix the
> problem, they suggested turning the "Combined Mode" off (common
> controller for SATA and IDE) in the BIOS, but my BIOS doesnt let me
> turn off this feature.

> So Im stuck with no dma and poor transfer rate,
> note however that windows works perfectly well, Its a Linux kernel bug
> that's that problem
> and I am a ardent Linux user and dont prefer Windows

> some sites also recommend recompiling kernels using patches .
> Is there some other HACK for this problem?
> Thanks in advance

Does the laptop use DMA with MS Windows? if not it might just be that
you would need to a) change the cable (with a laptop - yeah right! ;-)
b) change the BIOS to allow it to work that way c) the chip might not be
fully utilized on the board?

--
(setq (chuck nil)  car(chuck) )

 
 
 

Intel 915 ICH6, no DMA mode problem

Post by xask » Sat, 24 Jun 2006 16:04:18


thanks for the reply,

I already mentioned it is working perfectly well (with DMA enabled) in
Windows
Infact I know the problem, I know its not hardware realted,
It is a problem with the libata,piix_ata and ide-generic working
together,
When the mother board uses a SATA controller for controlling both PATA
and SATA controllers, Linux enables all these modules and tries to use
the SATA controller for PATA drives,
hence the problem,
I know the problem will be fixed in future kernel releases when
"libata" will be fully functional,
until then there must be a work around
I am searching for that work around

bye
xask

 
 
 

Intel 915 ICH6, no DMA mode problem

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Sat, 24 Jun 2006 18:23:05



> When the mother board uses a SATA controller for controlling both PATA
> and SATA controllers, Linux enables all these modules and tries to use
> the SATA controller for PATA drives,
> hence the problem,

If your problem is that a module is loaded that you don't need or want to
be loaded it should be possible to fix.

One way to avoid that a module is loaded is to add it to
/etc/hotplug/blacklist. Another brute force way would be to rm the module.

regards Henrik
--
The address in the header is only to prevent spam. My real address is:
hc8(at)uthyres.com Examples of addresses which go to spammers:

 
 
 

Intel 915 ICH6, no DMA mode problem

Post by xask » Sat, 24 Jun 2006 22:57:55


Thansk to yo too Henrik,

but the problem is not that i dont want a module loaded,
I could have removed the module using rmmod etc., but that wont work
you see,
the sata modules are needed for the controller to work,
the ide modules are needed for the hard disk to work (the hard disk is
actually IDE),
hence ide modules are dependent on sata,
Its a known problem with the ICH6 controller on the board,
It occurs due to lack of proper kernel code, It can be fixed by fixing
the kernel code,
but there must be work arounds to this problem, thats what I wanted to
know,,

thanks anyway
bye.



> > When the mother board uses a SATA controller for controlling both PATA
> > and SATA controllers, Linux enables all these modules and tries to use
> > the SATA controller for PATA drives,
> > hence the problem,

> If your problem is that a module is loaded that you don't need or want to
> be loaded it should be possible to fix.

> One way to avoid that a module is loaded is to add it to
> /etc/hotplug/blacklist. Another brute force way would be to rm the module.

> regards Henrik
> --
> The address in the header is only to prevent spam. My real address is:
> hc8(at)uthyres.com Examples of addresses which go to spammers:


 
 
 

Intel 915 ICH6, no DMA mode problem

Post by iforon » Sun, 25 Jun 2006 18:48:47



> thanks for the reply,

> I already mentioned it is working perfectly well (with DMA enabled) in
> Windows
> Infact I know the problem, I know its not hardware realted,
> It is a problem with the libata,piix_ata and ide-generic working
> together,
> When the mother board uses a SATA controller for controlling both PATA
> and SATA controllers, Linux enables all these modules and tries to use
> the SATA controller for PATA drives,
> hence the problem,
> I know the problem will be fixed in future kernel releases when
> "libata" will be fully functional,
> until then there must be a work around
> I am searching for that work around

try this URL for info and possible workarounds;
<http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html>

BTW - which chipset: Intel 915*P* or *G*? - and what's the Video?

Regards

 
 
 

Intel 915 ICH6, no DMA mode problem

Post by xask » Sun, 25 Jun 2006 19:09:33


thanks a lot for replying,

Its a 915 GM, 915GM onboard video with an ICH6 controller,
has a lot of good features! i love this board,
it has a PCI mini slot, PCI express and everything that is good !

but i already had the good fortune of stumbling upon this webpage,
but no solutions,
i finally worked out a solution myself  -
I pass this string to the kernel at boot -
"hdc=noprobe hdd=noprobe"
Now the magic happens !!
Now my hardrive and DVD drive are detected as SATA drives
/dev/sda and /dev/sr0
hdparm -t /dev/sda
reveals a smashing! output of 28 MBps -
but im not satisfied, as this would not solve problems on other
distributions, which wont detect SATA drives, like Debian Sarge and
Dynebolic etc.

I am STILL looking for another work around,

until then i would like to spread this word around for other facing
this problem !!

thanks any way !
bye
xask

Quote:> try this URL for info and possible workarounds;
> <http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html>

> BTW - which chipset: Intel 915*P* or *G*? - and what's the Video?

> Regards

 
 
 

1. Intel 915 chipset, DRI and IDE DMA questions

At work we have a computer with an Intel 915 motherbord on which we
installed Slackware 9.1 with kernel 2.4.22.

As the machine is newer than the distribution we had to do some upgrades.
We downloaded drivers for the onboard broadcom nic and an updated agpgart
module from intel. We also upgraded to X.org.

However, even though the agpgart module is loaded and the i915 module gets
loaded when X is started glxinfo reports "direct rendering: No".
/var/log/Xorg.0.log does not seem to contain any error related to the DRI
problem. If I do "strace glxinfo" I can see that /dev/dri/card0 is
successfully opened, but an ioctl on that filedescriptor fails. Has anyone
been able to get DRI to work with the built in 915 graphics?

The next problem is that the HD is miserably slow as DMA is off. Would it
be possible to get this to work without having to upgrade to kernel 2.6 or
2.4.28? We would prefer to patch kernel 2.4.22 rather than replace it with
a newer version. The disc is connected to the PATA connector.

regards Henrik
--
The address in the header is only to prevent spam. My real address is:
hc2(at)uthyres.com Examples of addresses which go to spammers:

2. Hitachi CdRom

3. Is there a good way to resolve the DMA error on Intel 915 chipset?

4. netscape dns server

5. Advansys 915 SCSI cards, hardware HOW-TO

6. reliable cheap modems for linux?

7. DMA blues...System lockup on setting DMA mode using hdparam

8. system clock on old 386

9. hard drive ultra dma mode 4 problem?

10. Intel 815e mobo, Arco DupliDisk 2 raid 1card, and DMA problems

11. DMA problem fallback to PIO mode?

12. Problem in seting Promise Ultra66 in DMA mode.

13. DMA problem fallback to PIO mode?