Fax modems -- class 1, class 2, class 2.0 -- whats going on?

Fax modems -- class 1, class 2, class 2.0 -- whats going on?

Post by Cary B. O'Bri » Tue, 04 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I am using Linux + mgetty/sendfax to send faxes.  This
setup does not support Class 1 fax modems.  I am becoming
quite concerned about the availability of faxmodems with
class 2 fax support.  Is it going away?

For example, a 28.8 logicode modem has class 2 support,
but the newer, faster 32.whatever modem from the same
manufacturer only has class 1 support.

Are we going in a winmodem direction here?  I hope not!

Also, will class 2 software be able to driver class 2.0
modems?

Thanks in advance,

-- cary

Post by Dr Ian Bosto » Tue, 04 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> I am using Linux + mgetty/sendfax to send faxes.  This
> setup does not support Class 1 fax modems.  I am becoming
> quite concerned about the availability of faxmodems with
> class 2 fax support.  Is it going away?

> For example, a 28.8 logicode modem has class 2 support,
> but the newer, faster 32.whatever modem from the same
> manufacturer only has class 1 support.

> Are we going in a winmodem direction here?  I hope not!

> Also, will class 2 software be able to driver class 2.0
> modems?

> Thanks in advance,

> -- cary

Efax has Class 1 support, but I'm having difficulties getting it to
work. (P133 + 2.0.28 kernel + Motoroloa 28.8 ) Anyone else ???

I. E. Boston
Plant Science International

Post by Klaus Lichtenwalde » Wed, 05 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> > I am using Linux + mgetty/sendfax to send faxes.  This
> > setup does not support Class 1 fax modems.  I am becoming
> > quite concerned about the availability of faxmodems with
> > class 2 fax support.  Is it going away?

> > For example, a 28.8 logicode modem has class 2 support,
> > but the newer, faster 32.whatever modem from the same
> > manufacturer only has class 1 support.

> > Are we going in a winmodem direction here?  I hope not!

> > Also, will class 2 software be able to driver class 2.0
> > modems?

Yes, 2.0 is downwards compatible.

Quote:> Efax has Class 1 support, but I'm having difficulties getting it to
> work. (P133 + 2.0.28 kernel + Motoroloa 28.8 ) Anyone else ???

I can imagine that... Basically,  you need a fast machine and
shouldn't do anything else while faxing... Maybe with the new realtime
extensions (when they get included) will be ok to make some class 1
fax softrware reliable, but I guess it's better to give those
manufactureres positive feedback by only buing modems with Class 2[.0]
support.

Klaus

      Need a (virtual) vacation? Go check: http://www.bavaria.com

Fax modems -- class 1, class 2, class 2.0 -- whats going on?

Post by B.J. Guill » Wed, 05 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I am using Linux + mgetty/sendfax to send faxes.  This
>setup does not support Class 1 fax modems.  I am becoming
>quite concerned about the availability of faxmodems with
>class 2 fax support.  Is it going away?

I've received numerous reports from customers lately just like yours.
They went out and bought the new faster version of the modem they
were using only to get it back to their house or business and discover
it has only Class 1 capabilities.

Apparently, Rockwell has dropped Class 2 capabilties on some of their
newer chipsets.  Can anyone provide more information on exactly which
modems are affected by this?

Also, some manufactuers have switched from Rockwell chipsets to USR/TI
chipset/DSP and thus support Class 1 and 2.0, but not 2.

Regards,  Command line driven fax software http://www.blkbox.com/~bgfax/
B.J. Guillot ... Houston, Texas USA            I don't believe in coffee

Post by Klaus Lichtenwalde » Thu, 06 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> > > Also, will class 2 software be able to driver class 2.0
> > > modems?
> Yes, 2.0 is downwards compatible.

Looks like I've mixed sth up.... Somebody wrote me that 2.0 and 2
are different enough so that it does *not* work.

So, I don't know....

Klaus

      Need a (virtual) vacation? Go check: http://www.bavaria.com

Fax modems -- class 1, class 2, class 2.0 -- whats going on?

Post by M Sweg » Thu, 06 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hi,
        Try hylafax formly flexfax (product trademark conflict).
I personally haven't tried it yet but other people I know have.

Mike

--
        Mike,

Post by William Burr » Sun, 09 Feb 1997 04:00:00

: Also, some manufactuers have switched from Rockwell chipsets to USR/TI
: chipset/DSP and thus support Class 1 and 2.0, but not 2.

For the benefit of newbies reading the Linux group, Class 2.0 would be
the later superset of Class 2, right?

BTW, does this mean BGFAX will be ported to Linux? :)

--
William Burrow  --  Fredericton Area Network, New Brunswick, Canada
Copyright 1997 William Burrow

Post by Jon Krahm » Sun, 09 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I am using Linux + mgetty/sendfax to send faxes.  This
>setup does not support Class 1 fax modems.  I am becoming
>quite concerned about the availability of faxmodems with
>class 2 fax support.  Is it going away?
>For example, a 28.8 logicode modem has class 2 support,
>but the newer, faster 32.whatever modem from the same
>manufacturer only has class 1 support.
>Are we going in a winmodem direction here?  I hope not!
>Also, will class 2 software be able to driver class 2.0
>modems?
>Thanks in advance,

While in class 2/2.0 the modem does the negotiations.  In class 1 mode
the software does the negotiations.

If you use FaxMail to send/receive fax on a network, FaxMail can
handle from 1 to 1000 workstations using just one fax modem.

Some modems have a defective class 2/2.0.

If you use FaxMail as your fax program, it will automatically use
class 2/2.0, unless you do a class over-ride.

Load the Event Monitor, look to see witch class you are using, go to
SetUp/Configure and do a class over-ride to the other class.

Class 2.0 and class 2 are similar but each require a different driver.

         Kind Regards,
         Jon Krahmer, ElectraSoft

 Get newest version of FaxMail for Windows or FaxMail Network for NT, free:
 www-page: http://www.ElectraSoft.com/ or http://www.blkbox.com/~jonk/
 Author member of Association of Shareware Professionals (ASP)

Post by Stephen Hendric » Mon, 10 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>: Also, some manufactuers have switched from Rockwell chipsets to USR/TI
>: chipset/DSP and thus support Class 1 and 2.0, but not 2.

>For the benefit of newbies reading the Linux group, Class 2.0 would be
>the later superset of Class 2, right?

Wrong.  Class 2.0 is a real class while 2 is a non-standard existing
in at least 6 different forms in different makes.

Post by Keith E. Moor » Sun, 16 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> >I am using Linux + mgetty/sendfax to send faxes.  This

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>          Kind Regards,
>          Jon Krahmer, ElectraSoft

>  Get newest version of FaxMail for Windows or FaxMail Network for NT, free:
>  www-page: http://www.ElectraSoft.com/ or http://www.blkbox.com/~jonk/
>  Author member of Association of Shareware Professionals (ASP)

I had trouble finding the Linux version of FaxMail, could you direct
me to the URL?

1. Current modems with Class 2 or 2.0 fax?

I am looking to buy a modem and I want class 2 or (preferably) class
2.0 fax support.  Many of the current models have dropped this is in a
fit of cleverness.  I want V34 and maybe some 56k foolishness.

I know  about

        USR Sportster and Courier
        Hayes Optima
        Zyxel 2864

and the ones in  the mgetty+sendfax faq

Of these, only the Sportster  is really in my price range, I think.
Can anyone tell me of some others?

I will summarize email responses to the group(s)

db
--

2. grep command.

3. SOLVED: Problems with AmJet FAX modem, or "What's Class 2.0?"

4. NFS server fails: [nfssvc: Function not implemented]

5. "not a class 2/2.0 fax modem" under sendfax?

6. printing with 2.2.5 kernel

7. Any fax programs available for Class-1 fax modem?

8. virtual screen "functions"

9. Class B and Class C addresses

10. want info about device class interface class

11. Class C subnet of Class B network - netmask wrong

12. Setting up a Class B and Class C DNS on Solaris 2.4