DWL-650+ Linux Driver

Post by Nat Xavi » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 05:07:43

I am using Mandrake 8.0 on a Dell Inspiron 8100 (PIII 866).  I have
recently purchased a DLink Wireless DWL-650+ wireless card.  Are there
any drivers for this?

Thanks in advanced,
Nat

DWL-650+ Linux Driver

Post by D. Stuss » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 06:30:07

Quote:>I am using Mandrake 8.0 on a Dell Inspiron 8100 (PIII 866).  I have
>recently purchased a DLink Wireless DWL-650+ wireless card.  Are there
>any drivers for this?

I don't have this card, but I think that the prism drivers work for it.

DWL-650+ Linux Driver

Post by Pankajkumar Chauha » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 06:40:40

> >I am using Mandrake 8.0 on a Dell Inspiron 8100 (PIII 866).  I have
> >recently purchased a DLink Wireless DWL-650+ wireless card.  Are there
> >any drivers for this?

> I don't have this card, but I think that the prism drivers work for it.

No, they *don't* work on this card (but they do on DWL-650), I bought
this and returned it.  This 22 Mbps card is based on a Texas
Instruments chipset, totally different from Prism chipsets.  No open
source driver (AFAIK) exists for this chipset.

Return it and get Orinoco, they are the best cards.

--
- Pankaj

            One OS to rule them all, one OS to find them,
       One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,
            In the Land of Redmond where the Shadows lie.

DWL-650+ Linux Driver

Post by D. Stuss » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 09:05:20

>> >I am using Mandrake 8.0 on a Dell Inspiron 8100 (PIII 866).  I have
>> >recently purchased a DLink Wireless DWL-650+ wireless card.  Are there
>> >any drivers for this?

>> I don't have this card, but I think that the prism drivers work for it.

>No, they *don't* work on this card (but they do on DWL-650), I bought
>this and returned it.  This 22 Mbps card is based on a Texas
>Instruments chipset, totally different from Prism chipsets.  No open
>source driver (AFAIK) exists for this chipset.

>Return it and get Orinoco, they are the best cards.

So this "+" card series has the same issues as the PCI version, the DWL-520,
where the "+" version also currently lacks support, correct?  DLINK has
supposedly stated that they will provide a Linux driver for the DWL-520+ by
December - maybe there's one coming for the 650+ also.

1. DWL-650 Driver Linux

I've been talking to ADM who makes the 8211 chipset that's in the newer
D-Link DWL-650 wireless card.  I finally was able to get them to send me
their source code.

It seems to work fine so far.  I just compiled it, copied it to my modules
directory, ran depmod -a, and finally modprobe 8211.

Let me know and I will send you the source code, otherwise contact ADM
tech support for a copy.  Their website is:  www.admtek.com.tw/  I'm not
sure if my email will show up correctly in the header, but it's:

Thanks,

- Shaun

2. Newbie: PPP and dynamic IP?

3. D-Link DWL-650/500 - Wavelan driver?

4. New Organization

5. D-Link DWL-650+ in Linux

6. System Refuses to Boot With NCR53c810 SCSI Controller

7. HOWTO: D-Link DWL-650 with Redhat Linux 7.2 or FreeBSD 4.4

9. problems installing DLINK DWL-650 and the WLAN package under Linux-Mandrake 8.0

10. Dlink DWL-650 PCMCIA card compatible with Linux Red Hat 7.3?

11. Problems with Linux WLAN and DWL-650 card in RH7.1 + 2.4.5 kernel.

12. problems installing DLINK DWL-650 and the WLAN package under Linux-Mandrake 8.0

13. D-Link DWL-650+