ls-120 bad superblock

Post by scott » Sun, 17 Dec 2000 05:07:41

Does anyone know of a way to enable Suse6.4 to mount a ls120 disk
that is full to its capacity?

I keep getting a bad superblock error after using the command:
mount -t vfat /dev/hdd /mnt

Windows keeps insisting that the disk needs to be formatted before
I can use it again, obvously this would destroy the files I'm trying to
get to!

As I say the disk is full and I need to extract some files before I reformat
it.

Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Scott.

ls-120 bad superblock

Post by Dances With Cro » Sun, 17 Dec 2000 12:05:17

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000 20:07:41 -0000, scottf staggered into the Black Sun
and said:

Quote:>Does anyone know of a way to enable Suse6.4 to mount a ls120 disk
>that is full to its capacity?

>I keep getting a bad superblock error after using the command:
>mount -t vfat /dev/hdd /mnt

>Windows keeps insisting that the disk needs to be formatted before I
>can use it again, obvously this would destroy the files I'm trying to
>get to!

>As I say the disk is full and I need to extract some files before I
>reformat it.

If there's something wrong with the filesystem on that disk, there's a
possible way to fix everything.  I've done something similar to this on
a ZIP-100 disk that had been mangled, and I was able to recover 90% of
all data.  So:

  dd if=/dev/hdd of=/path/to/somewhere/filename bs=32k
(copy the entire disk to your hard drive, so the disk itself gets
preserved no matter what)
  dosfsck -r /path/to/somewhere/filename
(attempt to repair filesystem interactively.  If successful,)
  mount -t vfat /path/to/somewhere/filename /mnt/mountpoint -o loop
(mount filesystem image on /mnt/mountpoint, retrieve what you need with
standard cp/mv/whatever!)

If the dd command in the first line starts reporting errors, then it's
likely the disk is physically damaged.  There are programs like ddrescue
which can read damaged media with some degree of success, or you can
just pass "conv=noerror" to dd and hope for the best.  HTH, bonne
chance....

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
-----------------------------/    I hit a seg fault....

ls-120 bad superblock

Post by Dan Whit » Sun, 17 Dec 2000 15:24:17

> Does anyone know of a way to enable Suse6.4 to mount a ls120 disk that
> is full to its capacity?

> I keep getting a bad superblock error after using the command: mount -t
> vfat /dev/hdd /mnt

> Windows keeps insisting that the disk needs to be formatted before I can
> use it again, obvously this would destroy the files I'm trying to get
> to!

> As I say the disk is full and I need to extract some files before I
> reformat it.

> Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

> Scott.

I suspect you've got a partitioned disk, rather than a flat filesystem. I
don't know how ls120 disks work, but zip disks typically comes this way.

Try running

fdisk -l /dev/hdd

If so, then mount -t vfat /dev/hdd1 /mnt (e.g.)

- Dan White

1. Making a boot disk with LS-120 (was Re: LS-120 clicking)

Hi-

On a related note, and probably a FAQ:

my laptop only has an LS-120 drive. How can I make a boot disk?
mkbootdisk doesn't work, since it lives at /dev/hdc not a /dev/fd*

Thanks,

Andrew

--
Andrew Jaffe___________________________________________________________

University of California, 301 LeConte Hall               (510) 642-7570
Berkeley, CA 94720                                        FAX    2-1756

2. RH 6.0: missing modules.dep file!

3. 120 MB Floppy (LS-120) Linux?

4. How to execute a program as part of the prompt

5. ls-120 & sls-120 in Linux

6. Kshell: length of a string and substring

7. LS-120 drive troubles ++ IDE-floppy

8. Backup across network using cpio

9. LS-120 Probs

10. SCSI LS-120