emachine 300c Cyrix - Any Red Hat 5.2 Success?

emachine 300c Cyrix - Any Red Hat 5.2 Success?

Post by Dirk Lea » Sat, 16 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Anybody successfully gotten this to fly?  My installation fails at the point
the packages are being copied/installed with tons of I/O errors.  I've seen
lots of success with the older 266Mhz Cyrix, and the 300Mhz Celeron, but
haven't heard from anybody with this new box.

emachine 300c Cyrix - Any Red Hat 5.2 Success?

Post by Jae Woo Le » Sat, 16 Jan 1999 04:00:00

One thing I know from reading its spec is that it comes with Winmodem.
So at least that won't work.

-- jae

> Anybody successfully gotten this to fly?  My installation fails at the point
> the packages are being copied/installed with tons of I/O errors.  I've seen
> lots of success with the older 266Mhz Cyrix, and the 300Mhz Celeron, but
> haven't heard from anybody with this new box.

emachine 300c Cyrix - Any Red Hat 5.2 Success?

Post by Dirk Lea » Sat, 16 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Good eye ... in my case, it's on a network and I'll never need the modem.
The other minor gotcha is it only comes with a couple of PCI slots (one for
the second NIC for masq'ing -- that only leaves 1 more).  Still, for the
price if it works reasonably well...

>One thing I know from reading its spec is that it comes with Winmodem.
>So at least that won't work.

>-- jae

>> Anybody successfully gotten this to fly?  My installation fails at the
point
>> the packages are being copied/installed with tons of I/O errors.  I've
seen
>> lots of success with the older 266Mhz Cyrix, and the 300Mhz Celeron, but
>> haven't heard from anybody with this new box.

emachine 300c Cyrix - Any Red Hat 5.2 Success?

Post by dmorg.. » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Successfully installed Linux 5.2 today on e-machine 300c (Cyrix)
purchased yesterady. Left the installed copy of Windows 98 in place,
nondestructively shrinking the original partition, which occupied the
whole disk originally, to make room for a new partition for Linux.

To do so, followed the instructions by Dan Kegel posted to
comp.os.linux.setup 1/2/99. You can find those by going to
www.dejanews.com and searching for the text 'steps to install $499'

Our Linux user group had an installfest this morning and Dan was
there. So was another guy with an emachine on which he had Linux
running.

Did not get X going yet, but found recipes for that from others on
dejanews and plan to try.

>Anybody successfully gotten this to fly?  My installation fails at the point
>the packages are being copied/installed with tons of I/O errors.  I've seen
>lots of success with the older 266Mhz Cyrix, and the 300Mhz Celeron, but
>haven't heard from anybody with this new box.

1. Red Hat 5.2 Loadlin HOWTO (WAS: Can't install LILO from RH 5.2)

: Everything else seems to go well, until the very last step. I just cannot
: get LILO to install properly. It gives me an error message and lets me keep
: retying, but to no avail.

First, make sure to fix your MBR which can normally be done with DOS Fdisk
and "fdisk /mbr".

Welcome to the Bad BIOS Club! There is a solution. Install again, but this
time, make a small DOS partition that is the primary and is bootable.
Partition the rest to taste for Linux. Install normally until the LILO
part. When you get to that part, make the LILO floppy, then SHUT THE
COMPUTER OFF!!!!! Note that the next time you boot after that wanton
killing of the computer, you may have a fucked up the filesystem. In any
case, Linux will run fsck to fix it if it can.

With the LILO floppy, boot. On the CD you will find DOS utilities. Get a
DOS boot floppy and put Loadlin on it with a copy of your kernel. On the
DOS boot floppy, you will need a zero-byte CONFIG.SYS, FORMAT.COM,
EDIT.COM LOADLIN.EXE, and the kernel.

Now, with this DOS boot disk, slip it into the floppy drive and boot. Upon
booting, format /s that DOS partition. Then copy the files from the DOS
boot disk onto the hard drive. Next, using the editor, make an
AUTOEXEC.BAT with this line:

loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 ro

Of course, for the Linux root partition, use your exact partition and to
use the filename with the kernel. The above is my standard Loadlin setup
line. Now, with this ready, hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE and watch as your
Loadlin-booted Linux box comes to life!

My normal procedure for partitioning a hard drive is for the first
partition to be a primary, partition 4 is the extended and all subsequent
partitions logical drives. Using Loadlin, this has always worked. It's
most likely not critical to do it this way. Rather, it's just my habit. :)

During the install, you can opt to mount the Loadlin partition or not. I
choose to mount it on /lightoff or on dual-boot boxes as /dos. I also
habitually make one small ext2 partition to mount under /the/x/files. You
can partition to your liking, of course. :)

--
CAUTION: Email Spam Killer in use. Leave this line in your reply! 152680
 First Law of Economics: You can't sell product to people without money.

3869387 bytes of spam mail deleted.           http://www.wwa.com/~nospam/

2. Setup Dialup Multilink PPP in Ubuntu Linux

3. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

4. Can't figure out how to do something in Apache

5. Red Hat Linux 6.1 and eMachines?

6. Nokia 5310 XpressMusic Mobile Phones

7. installing xmms on Red Hat 5.2

8. LILO at start prints "LI"

9. Is there an ioctl bug in Red Hat Linux 5.2???

10. Red Hat 5.2/HP 3171A NIC

11. FORTRAN Compiler for Red Hat 5.2 ?

12. Just got red hat 5.2 in WOW

13. Red Hat 5.2 on a 386