mailbox vs. non-mailbox SCSI controller?

mailbox vs. non-mailbox SCSI controller?

Post by Kevin Hube » Mon, 11 May 1998 04:00:00

I'm putting specs together for a new Linux system - looking at the
Cheetah 4LP as a drive with an Abit-BX6, PII266 and 128M of PC100 RAM.

Am I better off with a multimaster type board like the Buslogic BT-958
(mailbox) or a non-mailbox like a Tekram DC-390F (Symbios 8751)?

I understand that a onboard CPU mailbox board like the BT958 may take
load off the CPU, but that a non-mailbox board may be faster, due to
the host CPU being faster than an onboard controller CPU.

Is there a clear advantage either way besides cost?

Any experience with both in the same system?  Any other comments
greatly appreciated too.

-Kevin

1. Sendmail, large/corrupted mailboxes, & locking of mailboxes

Hi,

We've a user on a Linux server (V4.xx) who had some large emails that
came in recently.  when a pop connection is made to reteive the
messages:

a) Depending on the pop client, it either stalls on sending the
password, or reports no new messages.
b) The maillog file (updated by sendmail?) refers to this user as a
"kiss of death user" instead of a "user" for the pop connections made.
c) there is a zero byte <username>.lock file in /var/spool/mail,
generated on each pop connection.

Any assistance would be appreciated. I've looked through the How-Tos &
man pages with no luck.

TIA, Stu.
Stuart Summerville
Project Engineer
Practel Surveillance Systems

2. How to delete end of line($) characters

3. Redirecting mail messages from user mailbox to another mailbox

4. News on Altos 986 - (nf)

5. AIX 4.2.1.0 non-uucp email transport with single mailbox ISP account

6. "export" problems

7. Caching vs non-caching SCSI (was 386/ESDI vs Pentium/SCSI)

8. help with netscape server on SUN UNIX platform

9. system-wide mailbox on aix

10. user user mailbox doesn't exist; how do I create?

11. InoculateIT detected the (W95/Happy99.worm) virus in Mailbox (Pub lic Folders), Sender (Abel Berenstein) !!!

12. POP3 client problem solved (-ERR being read already <path to user mailbox>)

13. mutt-i : spoolfile is not a mailbox?