DVD/CD-ROM/CD-Rewriter combo's

Post by Hetty Litjen » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 00:20:32

Who has any experience with the new devices DVD/CD-ROM/CD-Rewriters that are
now available as one unit? Do they pose extra problems or should they work
fine?
Thanks.
Hetty

DVD/CD-ROM/CD-Rewriter combo's

Post by Dances With Cro » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 10:09:17

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 16:20:32 +0100, Hetty Litjens staggered into the
Black Sun and said:

Quote:> Who has any experience with the new devices DVD/CD-ROM/CD-Rewriters
> that are now available as one unit? Do they pose extra problems or
> should they work fine?

They should work fine.  The device should work like a CD-RW until you
insert a DVD into it, at which point it will behave like a DVD-ROM.
Just make sure you have UDF filesystem support available and you should
be OK, and search this NG for the appropriate keywords if you are having
trouble getting CDs burned.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

DVD/CD-ROM/CD-Rewriter combo's

Post by Hetty Litjen » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 20:08:38

Quote:> On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 16:20:32 +0100, Hetty Litjens staggered into the
> Black Sun and said:
> > Who has any experience with the new devices DVD/CD-ROM/CD-Rewriters
> > that are now available as one unit? Do they pose extra problems or
> > should they work fine?

> They should work fine.  The device should work like a CD-RW until you
> insert a DVD into it, at which point it will behave like a DVD-ROM.
> Just make sure you have UDF filesystem support available and you should
> be OK, and search this NG for the appropriate keywords if you are having
> trouble getting CDs burned.

> --
> Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to
see
> Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
> http://www.brainbench.com     /  "He is a rhythmic movement of the
> -----------------------------/    penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

Thanks for the light. Bye.
Hetty

1. Can't install Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with SCSI-1 CD-ROM

Hi,

  I can't install my Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with the following SCSI
related configuration :
  1) 1 Adaptec 1542C controller
  2) 1 240MB SCSI-2 hard disk
  3) 1 Sound Blaster 16 AIC-6360 sound card
  4) 1 NEC SCSI-1 CD-ROM (I say it is SCSI-1 because ezscsi.exe provided by
     Adaptec detects it as a SCSI-1 one without support for parity checking).

  I have tried to install Linux with the following two configurations :
  1) connect the CD-ROM to SB16 card and the hard disk to 1542C controller :
     I typed the command
     Linux aha152x=0x340,11,7,1
     to boot Linux but failed after a long period of detecting my CD-ROM
     and dumped a lot of messages about the queue status.
     I noticed that the parity checking is enabled.

  2) connect the CD-ROM and hard disk to 1542C with parity checking disabled
     while just connect the sound output from CD-ROM to SB16 card only :

     I used the default booting process and it failed a lot faster and told
     me that it can't mount the CD-ROM (kernel panic : unable to mount VFS).

  These two configurations work fine under both OS/2 2.1 and DOS/Windows.

  Now I need help to the following questions :
  1) How can I install Linux using this CD-ROM with such config ?
  2) Which other CD-ROM distribution can I use to install Linux ?

  One of the major reasons to buy CD-ROM is to run Linux. Failing to do so
frustrated me a lot. Please help me !

Thanks in advance,
   Eddie

2. install from infomagic CD with a sony CD-ROM drive

3. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

4. Adding 2nd Hard Drive

5. replace cd-rom with CD-R / can't find mount CD-R drive

6. Welcome to comp.unix.shell [Frequent posting]

7. DVD-ROM as CD-ROM

8. Nawk: can I use more than one input file in one script?

9. external cd-rom or dvd-rom for redhat 7.2

10. can't install linux- cd didn't come with driver for cd-rom

11. Mitsumi CD-ROM + sound card, what's the cd's interupt?

12. CD-ROM mount needs source <--> source needs CD-ROM mount

13. CD-ROM driver for Turtle Beach/Funai 6X CD-ROM?