Reasonable Minimum Hardware for Linux

Post by Andrew Boothm » Mon, 23 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hello!

As a newcomer to the Linux scene, I thought I would ask what could I
reasonably run linux on?

Is a 486DX and 4/8MB of memory too little?

I anticipate the machine being a sort of Perl testing server, and
perhaps backing up our main Solaris box with a bit of web serving.

How much CGI work could such a low spec machine be expected to do?

Oh, and finially what distriubtion would you recommend for a new
Linux/UNIX user? The more web servers and things that come with the
distribution the better!!

Thanks loads for all your help!!

Post by Timothy Murp » Mon, 23 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>Hello!
>As a newcomer to the Linux scene, I thought I would ask what could I
>reasonably run linux on?
>Is a 486DX and 4/8MB of memory too little?

No.
Well, I would say that 4MB is too little if you want to run X.
But 8MB is quite sufficient.
I'm running Linux on a 386 with 8MB RAM.

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: +353-1-2842366

1. Please Suggest Reasonable Mac hardware for Linux

Use the 4400, although the 7200 has served me pretty well. My old box
had 48Mb of RAM (more is better) and 2Gb of HD (and the original 500Mb
for MacOS). Partitioning:

* Small MacOS partition (you want one for BootX); I have placed System
  7.5.2 on a 20Mb partition for this purpose.
* swap partition  > physical RAM, up to 128Mb per partition, use two if
  you have more RAM
* / partition which holds all other stuff. I used to be really good
  about making /, /usr, /var, /tmp partitions but lately I have been
  mashing it all together. About the only thing that you need a dedicated
  partition for is usenet news (preferably a partition with a higher
  inode density)

Distribution... I only have experience with LinuxPPC 2000, but hear that
this wants more than 64Mb physical during installation to accomodate its
RAMdisk (or something like that). Maybe someone who has used another
distro can tell us if such a caveat exists elsewhere.

S.                                               Sander de Sybersurfer

2. tty's

3. Minimum Hardware For Ghostscript on Linux

4. RSAEURO

5. Minimum Hardware Requriements for Linux Firewall Box

6. PC-9800 subarch. support for 2.5.60 (31/34) serial-update

7. Minimum hardware configuration for Linux based router

8. Are there XIRCOM PCMCIA drivers for Linux?

9. What is the minimum hardware requirement for ruuning linux?

10. Minimum Hardware For Ghostscript on Linux

11. Minimum hardware configuration for Linux?

12. Minimum hardware for Linux box ?

13. Q: Minimum hardware reqs to run linux & consumer apps like email, www, suite ?