2-PC switch

Post by Brian Armstron » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Dear All,

        I have seen in France a switch that will connect
2 PC interfaces to one set of:

        Monitor
        Keyboard
        Mouse

For example, to have a linux and Windows box, and switch between them.

        Does anyone know where such a thing is available ?

        Is it for some reason a bad idea (eg blows monitors) ?

Thanks
Brian

2-PC switch

Post by Dave Record » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Dear All,

>         I have seen in France a switch that will connect
> 2 PC interfaces to one set of:

>         Monitor
>         Keyboard
>         Mouse

> For example, to have a linux and Windows box, and switch between them.

>         Does anyone know where such a thing is available ?

>         Is it for some reason a bad idea (eg blows monitors) ?

> Thanks
> Brian

Brian, I am using a 4x switch between two linux systems, an NT and a laptop
running either.  In most cases it works, depending on if you are all ps/2
or serial, etc.  If you need a mixture of ps/2 and serial, it'll cost a
little extra.  They are available in most mail order catalogs.  I purchased
mine at a place called Cables & Connector Technologies 800-452-8770.   They
are in Ohio.  They have 2, 4, 8 or cascadable switches for large numbers of
pc's.  You can switch from the keyboard or from the box.

Dave Records

--
                        Dave Records  -  Systems Analyst
                            Thirdware Systems Pty Ltd

1. sharing modem connection on 2-pc network

Hi,

I have setup a minimal home network consisting of 2 pcs: 1 laptop and
1 desktop. I have win95 installed on the laptop and RH Linux 6.2
installed on the desktop. My modem is part of the pcmcia nic
card(D-Link DMF560TXcombo) which works from the
laptop(laptech/sager/kapok/clevo 862). My network is working
beautifully.

How can I setup the network to share the modem I have on the win95
box(laptop)? I want to be able to surf the net from my desktop at the
same time as my partner surfs from the laptop.

If I was able to get my modem working from linux(see earlier msg
entitled 'detected UART is odd: 16450 maybeio conflict?') I'd very
quickly give win95 a miss altogether and then I could use whatever X
display suited me at the time but I have hardware which is bordering
on ancient so I might be asking a bit too much to have this modem work
under linux..

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks
Jim

2. Weird things with support of PDC 20269

3. 2-PC p2p setup

4. Mailorder Computer Dealers on the Internet, periodic posting

5. 2-PC network + PPP

6. securing kde 3.1

7. Which adaptor card to buy for simple 2-PC home network?

8. Intel740 PCI & Red Hat 5.2

9. Help for small network (2-pc's)

10. 2-PC ethernet LAN: PING -> "Network is unreachable" ?

11. pc locks up when ps2 mouse is removed [via KVM switch]

12. KVM switch with USB for Sun Blade, PC's with Sun Type6?

13. Console switch box for PC and Sun workstation?