Adaptec Extended Bios Translation

Post by Jeff Mart » Mon, 30 Jun 1997 04:00:00

     What doe the extended BIOS translation on my integrated Adaptec adapter
do. When I disable it or enable it should fdisk give me a different
geometry? What does the LBA mode in LILO do? What does aic7xxx=extended do?
                                                              -Jeff
     I recently got a new 4.3 gig scsi drive and have been booting my old
730 meg drive with a lilo floppy while I figure out this new drive.
     I would eventually boot off the 4.3 meg which is now set as my first
scsi device.

1. AHA1542CF, 2GB HD and Extended Translation in BIOS???

Hi All!

I've got a situation....  I've got a 2.2GB SCSI disk running off a
1542CF.  There are 4 partitions:

1- Win95 (~1GB)
2-DOS (~500MB)
3-Linux Swap (~50MB)
4-Linux Native (~550MB)

For DOS/Win95 to recognize the entire drive, I enabled the Extended
BIOS support on the 1542CF.  Linux's FDISK was able to create the 2
partitions (though it notes some "warnings").  When I re-boot, the
1542's BIOS gives me a warning about potential disk corruption- the
Win95 and DOS partitions seem to be fine.

Is this going to be a problem for Linux?  Can I just ignore the error
message?  Or is there a work around to this, to remove the errors?  Of
course in a perfect world I could just make the drive Linux only, but
unforetuneately that isn't realistic in my situation.

Thanks!

2. Sendmail and host.domain.com instead of domain.com

3. SCSI HD>1gig, need Extended BIOS Translation?

4. Swap

5. Should I enable Adaptec Extended BIOS with LINUX?

6. Oops in _every_ 2.5 kernel - SCSI changes

7. how to setup BIOS: Disk BIOS Translation etc.

8. script/C program to ftp

9. Adaptec 1542B> 1 gig. Extended BIOS Translation on Solaris X86

10. Can I enable AHA274x extended translation?

11. HELP: AHA7XXX EXTENDED TRANSLATION PROBLEM

12. 2940 Extended Translation?

13. Install problem (extended translation problem?)