problem recognising 2nd EIDE drive on a Tecra

problem recognising 2nd EIDE drive on a Tecra

Post by Howard Hal » Tue, 01 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I am trying to install Slackware on a Toshiba Tecra 500CDT laptop (linux
version 1.2.13). In place of the cdrom I have a second EIDE drive (its
called selectbay I can put a floppy, cdrom, hard drive or battery in
this slot) which is exactly the same as the primary EIDE drive in both
size and manufacturer (1.3 gig, same CHS).  When I boot with the bot
disk the primary disk gets recognised fine as hda.  However the second
disk gives the following error:
        hdb: non-IDE device, CHS=658/64/63
        hdb: cannot handle disk with 64 physical heads

And from then on the 2nd drive is inaccessible (can't fdisk).  It
doesn't seem to be the size of the disk, I have tried a friends second
hard drive and it complains that it can't handle that physical head size
either.  The wierd thing here is that the second drive is exactly the
same as the primary drive so I know it can handle it.

Anybody know what I can do?

Any help any one can give me will be greatly appreciated!!!!

-Howard

1. Problem recognising 2nd EIDE drive on a Tecra

[...]

2. The Tao Of Backup!

3. linux on 2nd EIDE HDD as primary on 2nd EIDE controller

4. Samba in Corel Linux

5. 2nd EIDE drive problem

6. Access to my files to few persons only?? (no su/root)

7. HD, CD not recognized on 2nd EIDE channel

8. hot swapping a drive

9. FDISK not recognising 2nd EIDE H/Disk

10. How to Install Linux on 2nd EIDE given Existing Primary EIDE w/Win95?

11. Ultra 10 & 2nd EIDE drive

12. EIDE as 2nd controller, 3rd drive need driver driver