Missing /dev/eth0 , please help !!!

Post by Data Lo » Wed, 22 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

  I have an Asante Fast 10/100 Ethernet pci adapter ( DEC DC21140 ),
linux (kernel 2.2.6) won't detect it . I typed " insmod  tulip.o " and
got no error message, but   /dev/eth0 did not appeared, even after
reloading linux .

  it's odd , but the description of the card  appears in the Xwindows
KDE system info, PCI devices box....

  I have been working on this for 3 day, help would be greatly
appreciated . I really don't want to return to Win98

-some newbi

Missing /dev/eth0 , please help !!!

Post by jenu.. » Wed, 22 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Try getting a new tulip driver from

http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.html

compile it in accordance with the instructions found in the
new driver.

Quote:> Hi,
>   I have an Asante Fast 10/100 Ethernet pci adapter ( DEC DC21140 ),
> linux (kernel 2.2.6) won't detect it . I typed " insmod  tulip.o " and
> got no error message, but   /dev/eth0 did not appeared, even after
> reloading linux .

/dev/eth0 will not magically appear.  There is no such file.

typing "ifconfig eth0" will allow you to see if it is there.

Quote:>   it's odd , but the description of the card  appears in the Xwindows

--
Best regards,

Stephen Jenuth

Best regards,

Stephen Jenuth

Missing /dev/eth0 , please help !!!

Post by Pat Finnega » Wed, 22 Sep 1999 04:00:00

That's because network cards are special types of devices that do not have
an entry in /dev; the kernel directly takes care of sending data to and
from them using system calls.

Post by David Coole » Wed, 22 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

>   I have an Asante Fast 10/100 Ethernet pci adapter ( DEC DC21140 ),
> linux (kernel 2.2.6) won't detect it . I typed " insmod  tulip.o " and
> got no error message, but   /dev/eth0 did not appeared, even after
> reloading linux .

>   it's odd , but the description of the card  appears in the Xwindows
> KDE system info, PCI devices box....

>   I have been working on this for 3 day, help would be greatly
> appreciated . I really don't want to return to Win98

Did you do ifconfig -a and see what shows?

Post by Michael Meissne » Wed, 22 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

>   I have an Asante Fast 10/100 Ethernet pci adapter ( DEC DC21140 ),
> linux (kernel 2.2.6) won't detect it . I typed " insmod  tulip.o " and
> got no error message, but   /dev/eth0 did not appeared, even after
> reloading linux .

>   it's odd , but the description of the card  appears in the Xwindows
> KDE system info, PCI devices box....

>   I have been working on this for 3 day, help would be greatly
> appreciated . I really don't want to return to Win98

You might try rev'ing up to linux 2.2.12 and/or get the latest tulip driver at
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.html.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886

Missing /dev/eth0 , please help !!!

Post by Timothy Nelso » Sun, 26 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I am having the same problem.  I've downloaded the file but I can't find
the proper compiler.  What RPM is the gcc comiler in?

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

Post by David » Tue, 28 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> I am having the same problem.  I've downloaded the file but I can't
> find the proper compiler.  What RPM is the gcc comiler in?

Depends on what version of RedHat you have.

5.2 has it in gcc, with the c++ stuff in egcs.  6.0 has it all in egcs.

-- David

1. /dev/eth0 disappeared - please help

I was trying to get Linux to work with my ethernet card after not
having an ethernet connection over the summer with no luck.
Apparently, something happened wiping out /dev/eth0 - meaning the card
doesn't exist as far as the system is concerened.  Recompiling the
kernel didn't help either.  Can anyone give me a hand here?  Thanks.

2. NuB asks about IDE CDROM stuff

3. /dev/eth0 or eth_if missing.

4. Help me with cachefs kstats

5. missing /dev/eth0 and other questions ...

6. NFS improvements/bug fixes

7. /dev/eth0 is missing.

8. Cerberus

9. /dev/eth0 is missing - where to start the search?

10. Missing /dev/isdnctrl and /dev/isdninfo

11. Missing /dev/audio, /dev/audioctl

12. Help: eth0 is missing interupts (3c509)

13. : help with /dev/eth0 ???