Help - Brother HL-730Plus Laser printer driver

Help - Brother HL-730Plus Laser printer driver

Post by David Jarvi » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Dear Group

I'm looking for a Brother HL730 Plus (or HL730 at a pinch) driver. I'm using
RedHat 6.0.

New to Linux, so am also unsure how to install a new printer driver. Pls
point me in the right direction/site. (I've looked at HOW-TOs, and Manual
with the RedHat CD, but this area of finding and then installing a new
printer driver seems little covered - but maybe I'm just looking in the
wrong place.)

Thanks

David

Post by Grant Taylo » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I'm looking for a Brother HL730 Plus (or HL730 at a pinch)
> driver. I'm using RedHat 6.0.

Was there a plus?  Hmm.

The hl7x0 Ghostscript driver works for the 720 and 730.  This is
probably what you want.  Red Hat somehow forgot to compile in the
hl7x0 driver as well as several other popular drivers.  You'll have to
find a Ghostscript with this compiled in, or if you're brave, compile
Ghostscript yourself.

There is a gs5.50 RPM on the Ghostscript web page; try it out:
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/aladdin/get550.html

To see the drivers in your Ghostscript, run gs -help.  Once you have
teh driver available, come back here for instructions on making it
work with Red Hat's printtool...

--

 Linux Printing HOWTO:  http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/

Help - Brother HL-730Plus Laser printer driver

Post by David Jarvi » Mon, 31 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Dear Grant / Group

Thank you for your suggestion. Following provided as update:

1. Installed gs5.50 RPM (5.50-1.i386) on the Ghostscript web page per your
suggestion below. No Brother printers (in fact fewer printers than on the
original RHat 6.0 installation.)!
2. Went to RedHat contrib site, downloaded hp8xx-5.50-5.i386, installed. No
more printers than in 1. above, and no Brother! :-(  Tried HPlaserjets to
see if would work.
3. HP laserjets DO work :-)  - but only in 300dpi!. (The Brother HL-730Plus
prints 600dpi) The best is HPLJet 4/5/6, as it seems to centre the page
better.
4. Tried 600 dpi wit HPLJet4/5/6, (this is the only laser printer offering
600 dpi in the list), and is close..... but not useable. The printer seems
to want to print the one page in quarters each at 300 dpi and 4 times the
correct size! Only the first page print is recognisable.
5. Tried to set the printer to print 4 pages on one page (using printtool),
but did not work.

****Am continuing search for a 600dpi driver for a Brother HL 730Plus!*****

Grant - Thanks for your help. Went to your web page and used info to help me
set up printer using Printtool.

David

> > I'm looking for a Brother HL730 Plus (or HL730 at a pinch)
> > driver. I'm using RedHat 6.0.

> Was there a plus?  Hmm.

> The hl7x0 Ghostscript driver works for the 720 and 730.  This is
> probably what you want.  Red Hat somehow forgot to compile in the
> hl7x0 driver as well as several other popular drivers.  You'll have to
> find a Ghostscript with this compiled in, or if you're brave, compile
> Ghostscript yourself.

> There is a gs5.50 RPM on the Ghostscript web page; try it out:
> http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/aladdin/get550.html

> To see the drivers in your Ghostscript, run gs -help.  Once you have
> teh driver available, come back here for instructions on making it
> work with Red Hat's printtool...

> --

>  Linux Printing HOWTO:  http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/

1. Setting up Brother HL-1040 or HL-1050 laser printer

Has anyone set up Linux to print to a Brother HL-1040 or HL-1050 laser
printer? If so, can you email me your printcap file? I've looked at the
list of printers in Red Hat's printtool but I don't see anything that
might be close enough. TIA

-- Ludio Nieves --

2. 3c59x died when trying out 2.5.69

3. Driver/interface to a Brother HL-630 laser printer?

4. Ethernet Switches/Dup MACs

5. Driver for Brother HL 720 laser printer (ghostscript)

6. jbuilder

7. Laser Printer by Brother (HL-1240)

8. Review of StarOffice 5.0 PreFinal

9. Brother HL-660 600dpi Laser Printer

10. Brother HL-730DX laser printer

11. Brother HL-660 Laser Printer

12. Brother HL-1440 printer(laser) o obsd.

13. Brother HL-660 600dpi Laser Printer