Diamond Fireport 40 + Adaptec AVA1505

Post by m.. » Tue, 14 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Has anyone managed to get these 2 controllers running in a linux
system together successfully?

I have the Diamond Fireport with an IBM UW scsi drive which Im running
RedHat 5 from, everything is ok until I try to compile support for my
Adaptec AVA1505. When I reboot the system after compiling support for
the AVA1505 it trys to become the boot adapter which therefore renders
my harddrive usless for booting from as the fireport is no longer seen
as the main card :(.
The main partitions are then seen as sdb1, 2, 3 and 4 instead of sda.
I then get the obvious message:

Kernel panic VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:03

Is there anyway I can force the Adaptec AVA1505 to be the second card
(card 1) instead of the first (card 0) as I cant see any settings in
the Diamond Fireport bios for forcing it to be the first card, and the
AVA1505 doesnt have a bios...

Any help would be appreciated...

TIA

Mark

Post by Tino Schwarz » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Has anyone managed to get these 2 controllers running in a linux
> system together successfully?

We did this recently with Adaptec 2940 and Symbios 8751SP.

Quote:> Is there anyway I can force the Adaptec AVA1505 to be the second card
> (card 1) instead of the first (card 0) as I cant see any settings in
> the Diamond Fireport bios for forcing it to be the first card, and the
> AVA1505 doesnt have a bios...

It might depend on the order the kernel invokes the drivers in. But
maybe exchanging the PCI cards helps?

Bye, Tino.

1. Anybody have any experience with Diamond FirePort 40 SCSI card as opposed to Adaptec?

I have a PC with a Supermicro P55T2S motherboard that presently has an
Adaptec 2940UW SCSI controller and a pretty full SCSI chain.  Unfortunately,
the system will not support NT 4 with my HP CD-ROM writer installed (it runs
OS/2, Linux, Solaris and DOS just fine). I'm getting tired of schlepping into
the office in order to do NT work, and Fry's has a deal on a Diamond FirePort
40 controller card (for $179) that says it's UW.

Does anybody have any experience (good or bad) with this card?  Can anybody
suggest a better alternative than the Diamond, especially in light of my
multi-OS setup?  The only other option I see is to ditch UW altogether and buy
a "regular" Adaptec 2940AU.  Opinions?

thanks!

Jeff Dickey

Jeff Dickey
Seven Sigma Software and Services

2. Keywords: Dial-up networking/ppp transmissions slowing down

3. Diamond FirePort 40 Problems

4. Brain dead Uucico program

5. Diamond Fireport 40 and RH6.0?

6. C compiler problems.

7. Diamond - FirePort 40

8. imagetool and libxil.so.1

9. Diamond Fireport 40 driver?

10. Diamond Fireport 40

11. Support for Diamond FirePort 40 Dual ??

12. Diamond Fireport 40?

13. Diamond FirePort 40 anyone?