LILO: append='mem=80M' doesn't work

Post by Matt Gushe » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi, folks--

I have an IBM PC 750 (Pentium 133, PCI bus), dual-booting Red Hat
Linux 5.2 and WinNT 4.0. I boot Linux, first with NTLoader, then
LILO. Most of the Linux installation is on the second IDE hard drive,
but I have a minimal boot partition on the first hard drive.

The machine has 80M of RAM. I believe 16M is original, with the
remaining 64M being 3rd-party DIMMs. Anyway, Linux only recognizes the
first 64M. The POST and Windoze recognize the entire 80M, so there's
nothing obviously wrong with the RAM itself.

$ cat /etc/lilo.conf
boot=/dev/hda8
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=20
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36-0.7
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hdc1
        read-only
        append="aha152x=0x140,11,7,1,1,1 mem=80M"

I tried it without the SCSI stuff, and have also specified an exact
number of bytes in hexadecimal, but nothing seems to work.

Anyone have an idea what I can do about this?
--
Matt Gushee
Portland, Maine, USA

http://www.havenrock.com/

Post by Svend Garnae » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Hi, folks--

> I have an IBM PC 750 (Pentium 133, PCI bus), dual-booting Red Hat
> Linux 5.2 and WinNT 4.0. I boot Linux, first with NTLoader, then
> LILO. Most of the Linux installation is on the second IDE hard drive,
> but I have a minimal boot partition on the first hard drive.

> The machine has 80M of RAM. I believe 16M is original, with the
> remaining 64M being 3rd-party DIMMs. Anyway, Linux only recognizes the
> first 64M. The POST and Windoze recognize the entire 80M, so there's
> nothing obviously wrong with the RAM itself.

> $ cat /etc/lilo.conf
> boot=/dev/hda8
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> prompt
> timeout=20
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36-0.7
>         label=linux
>         root=/dev/hdc1
>         read-only
>         append="aha152x=0x140,11,7,1,1,1 mem=80M"

> I tried it without the SCSI stuff, and have also specified an exact
> number of bytes in hexadecimal, but nothing seems to work.

> Anyone have an idea what I can do about this?

run the lilo command after editing lilo.conf  :)

Svend

Post by Matt Gushe » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> run the lilo command after editing lilo.conf  :)

Thanks, but I've done that many times. I wish it were something so
obvious. Anybody else?

--
Matt Gushee
Portland, Maine, USA

http://www.havenrock.com/

Post by Preet Randhaw » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> > run the lilo command after editing lilo.conf  :)

> Thanks, but I've done that many times. I wish it were something so
> obvious. Anybody else?

> --

Try putting  mem=80M before aha152x=...
    append="mem=80M aha152x=0x140,11,7,1,1,1 "

Preet

LILO: append='mem=80M' doesn't work

Post by dunga-de » Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> nothing obviously wrong with the RAM itself.

> $ cat /etc/lilo.conf
> boot=/dev/hda8
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> prompt
> timeout=20
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36-0.7
>         label=linux
>         root=/dev/hdc1
>         read-only
>         append="aha152x=0x140,11,7,1,1,1 mem=80M"

> I tried it without the SCSI stuff, and have also specified an exact
> number of bytes in hexadecimal, but nothing seems to work.

I assume that you ran lilo after making the change.
The only thing I could suggest is to try the following:
   1)  at the prompt, type in:  linux mem=80M, see if that did anything
   2)  remove the mem=80M from the append statement, and add the following
line:
         literal="mem=80M"

Try it out.  Let us know how it turns out.  Your feedback will probably
help the next person with the same problem.

Post by Matt Gushe » Mon, 24 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> > $ cat /etc/lilo.conf
> > boot=/dev/hda8
> > map=/boot/map
> > install=/boot/boot.b
> > prompt
> > timeout=20
> > image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36-0.7
> >         label=linux
> >         root=/dev/hdc1
> >         read-only
> >         append="aha152x=0x140,11,7,1,1,1 mem=80M"

> Try it out.  Let us know how it turns out.  Your feedback will probably
> help the next person with the same problem.

Well. Turns out it was my dumb mistake all along. No, I didn't forget
to run lilo. What I forgot was that when you boot with

        NT Loader  ->  LILO  ->  Linux

you have to copy your boot sector to a file in the NT file system.

Sorry to have wasted everyone's time with my non-problem.

--
Matt Gushee
Portland, Maine, USA

http://www.havenrock.com/

1. LILO append="mem=128M" Doesn't Work

Hi All --

I recently set up RedHat Linux on a 300 MHz Pentium II with 128M RAM.
My Phoenix BIOS recognizes the full 128MB, however the "free" command in
Linux only shows 64MB (as expected).  I added the line append="128MB" to
various portions of my /etc/lilo.conf and the OS neither crashed nor did
it recognize my 128MB of RAM.  I also tried the various offsets listed
in the HOWTO for this problem and was equally unsuccessful.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Dept. of Chemistry and Biochemistry
UC San Diego * McCammon Research Group
619/534-2798 * http://chemcca10.ucsd.edu/~nbaker/

2. Rework of /proc/stat

3. linux mem=64M works, linux mem=128M doesn't ??

4. cu command to dial out

5. mem=128M doesn't work in my lilo.conf

6. Support of e2fs

7. ping -g 'gateway-IP' 'host-IP' DOESN'T work!

8. How to get "last login" info?

9. 'ppp-on' Works, 'ifup ppp0' Doesn't

10. Re. bffcreate -X doesn't work Re: bffcreate -X Doesn't Work

11. lilo 'append'

12. lilo 'append' for ether config?

13. Multi-item 'append' in lilo.conf