need help with exabyte 8505 tape drive

Post by Mitch Germansk » Mon, 20 May 2002 01:34:59

would appreciate your help with my 8505 drive:

1. when doing linux tar backups, the operation typically fails anywhere
from 15-60 minutes into the backup.  dmesg errors...

st0: Error with sense data: Info fld=0x407, Deferred st09:00: sense key
Medium Error
Additional sense indicates Write append position error
st0: Error with sense data: [valid=0] Info fld=0x0, Current st09:00:
sense key Medium Error
Additional sense indicates Write append position error
st0: Error on write filemark.

2. why does the drive eject tapes right after loading them?  i've tried
sony QG-112M, some get ejected immediately and others work.

3. i am wondering if cleaning would help my backup problem above.  the
LEDs are not flashing asking for a cleaning.  the exabyte cleaning tape
gets ejected immediated.  how can i force a cleaning cycle?

Post by Jim McDonal » Wed, 22 May 2002 00:07:35

> would appreciate your help with my 8505 drive:

> I have a number of  these drives; they're notoriously unreliable.

I ran in to an Exabyte rep at Linux World about 3 years ago, and poked him
gently; he gave me a horse laugh and said "You're still using those
antiques?"
Sorry I can't help, except to say my 4mm DAT drives are all fine(hint,
hint).

--

Jim McDonald
http://www.stanford.edu/~mcduck

1. Installing and using Exabyte 8505 Tape Drive

Hi All,

I am using RedHat linux and I need to figure out how to install and use an
Exabyte 8505 tape drive.  I am using an Adaptec 2940 SCSI card properly
terminated.  The bootup process found the card and went into the auto
configuration mode where it said the Adaptec was successfully installed.
Now what do I need to do to "install" the tape drive?  The devices /dev/st0,
/dev/nst0, etc. don't respond to any of my 'mt' tape commands.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim

2. How to sort 2nd column in alphabetic

3. Exabyte 8505 SCSI tape drive

4. help with AUIS (ez)

5. Exabyte 8505 tape drive hangs scsi bus

6. suse 8.0 and S3

7. Exabyte 8505 drive overwrote my tape, how do I recover?

8. looking for sysadmin book for sco

9. Exabyte 8505 or 8700 8mm tape drives

10. What is the dump parameters for an Sun(Exabyte EXB-8505 8mm) XL tape drive?

11. Will Exabyte 8505 Tape Drive Work with Linux?

12. What is the dump parameters for Sun (Exabyte 8505 8mm) XL tape drive?

13. Can't read 8mm tape from Exabyte 8505