cd tray doesnt open under red hat 6.2

Post by eri » Tue, 27 Nov 2001 02:45:53

i installed red hat 6.2 a few months ago and recently i noticed that
the cd tray will not open under linux.  it will open during boot,
before it mounts, and in Windows, but never in linux.  However, linux
will read the cd.
Do i have it mounted right?
thanks

cd tray doesnt open under red hat 6.2

Post by Lee J. Moor » Tue, 27 Nov 2001 02:52:33

Hi erin!  On Sunday 25 Nov 2001 5:45 pm, in article

> i installed red hat 6.2 a few months ago and recently i noticed that
> the cd tray will not open under linux.  it will open during boot,
> before it mounts, and in Windows, but never in linux.  However, linux
> will read the cd.
> Do i have it mounted right?

Are you unmounting the CD before ejecting it?

Regards :)
--
Lee J. Moore   ICQ 42252330

GnuPG/PGP Key 0xD851CB1D

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Tue, 27 Nov 2001 03:33:36

> i installed red hat 6.2 a few months ago and recently i noticed that the
> cd tray will not open under linux.  it will open during boot, before it
> mounts, and in Windows, but never in linux.  However, linux will read
> the cd.
> Do i have it mounted right?

Yes, the CD is mounted, thats why it won't open. By typing "mount" you
will see which partitions and drives are mounted. Before opening the CD
you will have to unmount it. This is done with the command umount,
something like:

umount /mnt/cdrom

Unless the CD is mounted with the "user" option you will have to be root
to unmount the CD.

regards Henrik
Henrik.Carlqvist(at)2.sbbs.se Examples of addresses which go to others:

Post by spammi » Tue, 27 Nov 2001 04:50:40

> Yes, the CD is mounted, thats why it won't open. By typing "mount" you
> will see which partitions and drives are mounted. Before opening the CD
> you will have to unmount it. This is done with the command umount,
> something like:

> umount /mnt/cdrom

> Unless the CD is mounted with the "user" option you will have to be root
> to unmount the CD.

Maybe you can help me with my problem, my CD burner wont open whether it's
mounted or unmounted.  It's mounted as /mnt/cdrom2 in mandrake 8.0.  It
wont open but it is recognized by the system...it shows up in Konqueror
with a big Padlock on it of all things.  It's a Yamaha 16X10X40 SCSI cdrw
in a Dual PII 333 setup...the scsi channel it's on also has my CD rom on it
but it works fine as /mnt/cdrom.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  I've considered installing Win 2K on
a spare HD to see if it'll work under that but I really prefer not to
contaminate the system.

Coldfire

Post by Steve Marti » Tue, 27 Nov 2001 06:08:20

> > i installed red hat 6.2 a few months ago and recently i noticed that the
> > cd tray will not open under linux.  it will open during boot, before it
> > mounts, and in Windows, but never in linux.  However, linux will read
> > the cd.
> > Do i have it mounted right?

> Yes, the CD is mounted, thats why it won't open. By typing "mount" you
> will see which partitions and drives are mounted. Before opening the CD
> you will have to unmount it. This is done with the command umount,
> something like:

> umount /mnt/cdrom

Actually, you should just have to type "eject" at a command
prompt. According to "man eject", this also unmounts the CD
if it is mounted.

You might have to type "eject /dev/whatever-your-cdrom-device-is"
if you don't have a symlink set up to /dev/cdrom.

Post by Ralf Bade » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 05:55:06

> Maybe you can help me with my problem, my CD burner wont open whether it's
> mounted or unmounted.  It's mounted as /mnt/cdrom2 in mandrake 8.0.  It
> wont open but it is recognized by the system...it shows up in Konqueror
> with a big Padlock on it of all things.  It's a Yamaha 16X10X40 SCSI cdrw
> in a Dual PII 333 setup...the scsi channel it's on also has my CD rom on
> it but it works fine as /mnt/cdrom.

> Any help will be greatly appreciated.  I've considered installing Win 2K
> on a spare HD to see if it'll work under that but I really prefer not to
> contaminate the system.

> Coldfire

If spammie is your real name, you should ask the manufacturer of your
CD-burner to give you the key for the padlock. Otherwise, look at the
rights of /mnt/cdrom2 and /dev/whatever-your-cd-burner-is.