I'm Looking for suggestions for a good PCI EIDE controller ...

I'm Looking for suggestions for a good PCI EIDE controller ...

Post by Mark Shacklett » Sat, 24 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hi all.

I am looking for a PCI EIDE controller that has a built-in
bios (so that ALL drives are seen at boot, no driver is
required).

I would like it to be able to have 4 EIDE Hard Drives,
2 on primary, and 2 on secondary.  Ideally, you should
be able to configure the card solely as a secondary
controller (not required), and you should be able to
disable the secondary channel via a jumper.

I've looked at several EIDE controllers, many don't
have an on-board bios and so drivers are needed to
see anything other than the first drive at boot, etc.

If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Thank you in advance.

Mark

1. Is there a good PCI EIDE controller supported by Linux?

        I am looking for a good PCI EIDE controller for use with Linux
(as well as other popular PC operating systems).  I am currently using
the CMD PCI EIDE controller, but feel that I am not getting maximal
performance.  What else is out there and for how much?  I don't need
anything with caching or whatever, just a plain well-supported, bug-free
PCI EIDE controller.

        I used a friend's machine with a slower CPU and slower disk and a
generic VLB EIDE controller and found his disk performance to be
noticeably better.

Thanks for the info!

Mike.

Northstar Technologies                        Compuserve: 76620,2534
Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA

2. CDRoms and Floppy locked

3. PCI EIDE drives, PCI SCSI drives, controllers

4. Anonymous FTP Server

5. need: dial-in modem config for 2.4 x86 & Digiboard Xem

6. EIDE Controller Card -- Suggestions?

7. Shell script compilers...

8. Is DTC2132 PCI EIDE controller supported ?

9. PCI EIDE controller for Linux?

10. DTC PCI or Promise VESA EIDE controllers anygood?

11. micron pci 32 bit mode 4 eide controller on motherboard & linux

12. 2 Port PCI EIDE Controller Recommendations