Sound disappears ca 1 hour after boot

Post by Sven Ole Skrivervi » Wed, 19 Sep 2001 05:07:00

I'm running a redhat 7.2 with kernel 2.4.9 on a Dell Lattitude CS.
Sound has been configured in and the Neomagic loadable module is loaded
at boot time. After login the sound works perfect. However it stops
working after some time (ca one hour). Then the owner to the /dev/audio
and /dev/dsp devices is changed from my username to root and and access
rights to rw-r-----.  The result of this is that sound does not work
anymore.  A logout/login fixes the problem temporarily until it stops
working again. My first suspect was cron and some module clean up
procedures, but after disabling cron the problem is still there.

Any clues??

Sound disappears ca 1 hour after boot

Post by H. Dziardzi » Wed, 19 Sep 2001 07:48:55

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001 22:07:00 +0200, Sven Ole Skrivervik

>I'm running a redhat 7.2 with kernel 2.4.9 on a Dell Lattitude CS.
>Sound has been configured in and the Neomagic loadable module is loaded
>at boot time. After login the sound works perfect. However it stops
>working after some time (ca one hour). Then the owner to the /dev/audio
>and /dev/dsp devices is changed from my username to root and and access
>rights to rw-r-----.  The result of this is that sound does not work
>anymore.  A logout/login fixes the problem temporarily until it stops
>working again. My first suspect was cron and some module clean up
>procedures, but after disabling cron the problem is still there.

>Any clues??

The Neomagic may use that strange video-audio combined ram so the
video ram may have to be limited or X will take all that is there.
Try limiting the video ram in XFconfig, probably to about 500Kb
less than the total installed or probed vram.

Sound disappears ca 1 hour after boot

Post by Sven Ole Skrivervi » Sat, 22 Sep 2001 05:18:34

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately it did not help. I redused the
video memory option from 4096 to 3584, but there was not change to the
behavior. After about an hour, the attributes on /dev/audio and /dev/dsp
did change and sound stopped working.

My next try is to check if StarOffice has something to do with this.  I
might also reduce the videoram more.

- Sven

> On Mon, 17 Sep 2001 22:07:00 +0200, Sven Ole Skrivervik

> >I'm running a redhat 7.2 with kernel 2.4.9 on a Dell Lattitude CS.
> >Sound has been configured in and the Neomagic loadable module is loaded
> >at boot time. After login the sound works perfect. However it stops
> >working after some time (ca one hour). Then the owner to the /dev/audio
> >and /dev/dsp devices is changed from my username to root and and access
> >rights to rw-r-----.  The result of this is that sound does not work
> >anymore.  A logout/login fixes the problem temporarily until it stops
> >working again. My first suspect was cron and some module clean up
> >procedures, but after disabling cron the problem is still there.

> >Any clues??

> The Neomagic may use that strange video-audio combined ram so the
> video ram may have to be limited or X will take all that is there.
> Try limiting the video ram in XFconfig, probably to about 500Kb
> less than the total installed or probed vram.

1. Informix problems afters Y2K Solaris 2.5 patch

Since I did the Y2K patch for Solaris 2.5 on a Ultra Sparc 1 system,
Informix 7.22 refuses to startup properly.
Anyone experienced a simular problem? Any suggestions?
Attached some system information and the relevant part of the online.log

Has van der Krieken.

# uname -a
SunOS sungemms 5.5 Generic_103093-25 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1
# su - informix
Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.5       Generic November 1995
$ onstat -V
INFORMIX-OnLine Version 7.22.UC2   Software Serial Number AAA#J917741
$ cat online.log

Mon Dec 27 16:09:48 1999

16:09:48  Event alarms enabled.  ALARMPROG = '/informix/etc/no_log.sh'
16:09:48  DR: DRAUTO is 0 (Off)
16:09:49  INFORMIX-OnLine Initialized -- Shared Memory Initialized.
16:09:49  Physical Recovery Started.
16:09:49  Physical Recovery Complete: 0 Pages Restored.
16:09:49  Logical Recovery Started.
16:09:49  shmget: [ENOMEM][12]: key 52574804: out of shared memory, check
system
 SHMALL
16:09:49  out of virtual shared memory

16:09:49  Assert Failed: Internal Error - Segmentation Violation

                Thread(13, bld_logrecs, d039530, 1)
16:09:49   Results: OnLine must abort
16:09:49   Action: Reinitialize shared memory
16:09:49   See Also: /var/tmp/af.d813d
16:09:49  rsinit.c, line 9932, thread 13, proc id 20737, Segmentation
Violation.
16:09:49    PANIC: Attempting to bring system down

2. create mail users account

3. callback, ppp, and morning-afters

4. Signals

5. cs46xx: sound distortion after hours of use

6. HOW TO INSTALL AND CONFIGURE AN NEWS SERVER UNDER REDHAT ???

7. CA Cert with OpenSSL not recognised as "CA" cert

8. Adding a disk to a SSA RAID Array

10. Sound nearlys disappearing.....

11. pci sound device disappears

12. Solaris 2.5 x86 boots approx. all 2 hours

13. 1 hour to Boot up LinuxPPC Q3/ Monitor Problems