VLB/EISA - AHA 2840 - Flash32

Post by Joerg Senekowitsc » Fri, 11 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I have this VLB/EISA system with an Adaptec 2840 (the VLB
version of the 2940) and an Intel Flash32 EISA network board.

Does anybody know whether Linux will run on this combination?
Anybody using a 2840 and/or a Flash32?

I've found the 2840 in the aic7xxx driver, but no mention of the
flash32 network board.

Joerg

1. question about EISA/VLB and EISA/ISA/VLB MBs

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my 386/40 machine to a 486DX2/66
machine and I need to buy a motherboard.  I have to have VL BUS since I
have a #9 VL BUS card coming. other than that I also wanted an EISA bus.
I'm finding it rather confusing and difficult to find true EISA/VESA
motherboards. most of what I find are "hybrid" boards that also have ISA
slots such as 3EISA/2ISA/2VL or such thing. and these tend to be
substantially less money than the true EISA/VL boards.

what I would like to know is what performance differences I'll see between
a true EISA board and one of these hybrid boards.  is the extra money for
the true EISA/VL board worth it?  will I run into difficulties or
incompatibiities with the hybrid boards that I wouldn't if I went with a
true EISA/VL board.  the reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of breaking
down and buying one of the hybrid boards.

also some boards use 72 pin simms and some use 30 pin simms.  the 30 pin
simms are cheaper but again... is it worth the extra money to get 72 pin
simms and the motherboard that supports them?

please help clue me in on anything I don't know or may not have thought of.

oh it might also help to know that I plan on using the board to run the
Linux operating system if that makes a difference.

thanks for your time and advice I really appreciate it.

- Jeff

2. Adaptec-PCI Adapter

3. adaptec 2840 vlb

4. lex newbie question

5. AHA 2840 VL on Debian

6. Problem after changing 'hostname'.

7. Adptec AHA 2840

8. answer to George Account, gps@linux

9. aha2x4x - Aha 2840 Not Working

10. EISA or VLB (EISA th

11. HELP: Intel Ether Express Flash32 (EISA) supported?