Actiontec modem (was Re: Call Waiting Modems / Low Connect Speeds)

Actiontec modem (was Re: Call Waiting Modems / Low Connect Speeds)

Post by Steven Michael ROBBI » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

[posted and mailed]

> For the past couple of weeks I've been tinkering around with a couple
> of Lucent-based chipset, "call waiting" modems: 1) Actiontec Call
> Waiting Modem (both USB and PCI models) and [ ... ]

[ ... ]

Quote:> postings in the newsgroups, visiting quite a few modem & connectivity
> related websites, I'm still stumped. Starting to think that it's these
> Lucent chipsets that are having some difficulties negotiating connect
> rates beyond 28.8.

I also had great difficulties at first with my Actiontec call-waiting
modem.

For the first few hours after opening the box, all I could do was get
a connection at V.34 rates.  After a bunch of experimenting, I have
finally managed to get a 56K connect with my provider.  My experiments
lead me to believe there is some mistake in the documentation for
register S109.

I checked in both the printed manual that came in the box, (which,
incidentally is for a DIFFERENT modem, not the model I bought) and the
online version,

        http://www.actiontecsupport.com/files/pm560lkc.pdf

On page 39 (page 40 of the online version), S109 is documented as:

        S109=0          disable all 56K connections
        S109=1          K56flex only, V.90 disabled
        S109=2          V.90 only, K56flex disabled

My provider uses V.90 equipment, so I set S109 to 2.  But I could only
connect at V.34 rates (CONNECT 31200) no matter what I tried. I tried
S109=1 with the same results.

Then, in desperation, I tried S109=0, and bingo!  My connections are
44000, which is what I expected.

I would be VERY interested to know if this is true for other folks as
well.  Do let me know if you can connect at V.90 rates with your
actiontec, and what the S109 setting is.

P.S.  I mailed a similar note to Actiontec on 22 January, and have yet
to hear back from them.  Tried calling their tech support yesterday
but didn't get through, despite the fact that "my call was very
important to them."

-Steve

Actiontec modem (was Re: Call Waiting Modems / Low Connect Speeds)

Post by defaultuse » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I'm gonna try this .
What's your init string ?
I was using at&fs109=0
Thanks.
Quote:> I also had great difficulties at first with my Actiontec call-waiting
> modem.

> For the first few hours after opening the box, all I could do was get
> a connection at V.34 rates.  After a bunch of experimenting, I have
> finally managed to get a 56K connect with my provider.  My experiments
> lead me to believe there is some mistake in the documentation for
> register S109.

> I checked in both the printed manual that came in the box, (which,
> incidentally is for a DIFFERENT modem, not the model I bought) and the
> online version,

>         http://www.actiontecsupport.com/files/pm560lkc.pdf

> On page 39 (page 40 of the online version), S109 is documented as:

>         S109=0          disable all 56K connections
>         S109=1          K56flex only, V.90 disabled
>         S109=2          V.90 only, K56flex disabled

> My provider uses V.90 equipment, so I set S109 to 2.  But I could only
> connect at V.34 rates (CONNECT 31200) no matter what I tried. I tried
> S109=1 with the same results.

> Then, in desperation, I tried S109=0, and bingo!  My connections are
> 44000, which is what I expected.

> I would be VERY interested to know if this is true for other folks as
> well.  Do let me know if you can connect at V.90 rates with your
> actiontec, and what the S109 setting is.

> P.S.  I mailed a similar note to Actiontec on 22 January, and have yet
> to hear back from them.  Tried calling their tech support yesterday
> but didn't get through, despite the fact that "my call was very
> important to them."

> -Steve

Actiontec modem (was Re: Call Waiting Modems / Low Connect Speeds)

Post by defaultuse » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

at&fs109=0 , didn't work for my Actiontec External .
I'll keep trying other combinations :-)

> I'm gonna try this .
> What's your init string ?
> I was using at&fs109=0
> Thanks.

> > I also had great difficulties at first with my Actiontec call-waiting
> > modem.

> > For the first few hours after opening the box, all I could do was get
> > a connection at V.34 rates.  After a bunch of experimenting, I have
> > finally managed to get a 56K connect with my provider.  My experiments
> > lead me to believe there is some mistake in the documentation for
> > register S109.

> > I checked in both the printed manual that came in the box, (which,
> > incidentally is for a DIFFERENT modem, not the model I bought) and the
> > online version,

> >         http://www.actiontecsupport.com/files/pm560lkc.pdf

> > On page 39 (page 40 of the online version), S109 is documented as:

> >         S109=0          disable all 56K connections
> >         S109=1          K56flex only, V.90 disabled
> >         S109=2          V.90 only, K56flex disabled

> > My provider uses V.90 equipment, so I set S109 to 2.  But I could only
> > connect at V.34 rates (CONNECT 31200) no matter what I tried. I tried
> > S109=1 with the same results.

> > Then, in desperation, I tried S109=0, and bingo!  My connections are
> > 44000, which is what I expected.

> > I would be VERY interested to know if this is true for other folks as
> > well.  Do let me know if you can connect at V.90 rates with your
> > actiontec, and what the S109 setting is.

> > P.S.  I mailed a similar note to Actiontec on 22 January, and have yet
> > to hear back from them.  Tried calling their tech support yesterday
> > but didn't get through, despite the fact that "my call was very
> > important to them."

> > -Steve

1. Actiontec Call Waiting 56K PCI V92 Modem

Hi all...  Has anyone been able to get the new actiontec PCI modem
working with mgetty and vgetty.  I am having some strange problems with
both.  When mgetty and vgetty are started from inittab they will not
pick up the phone correctly.  I see mgetty sending ATA, but it get's no
response.  vgetty says that it can't pick up the phone.

When I try to run them from the command line, they seem to work for the
most part.  vgetty has some problem with the voice compression.  Still
investigating that.

What is the difference between the command line and the inittab?

Oh ya, if I kill the vgetty process that was started from inittab, it's
never able to communicate properly with the modem again...  I have to
restart the system.

If there are any specific details you think you might need that I left
out just let me know.

I just downloaded the latest mgetty release today...

Thanks,
Kevin

2. bind() failed: address already in use

3. Actiontec 56k internal PCI Call-Waiting modem.

4. Volume settings on RH 6.0, Gnome, Enlightenment

5. Actiontec External Call Waiting Modem

6. Crypto extensions - Doc ?

7. Load Balancing RH Ent ES

8. actiontec call waiting pci modem

9. Actiontec 56K Call Waiting Modem V92 PCI

10. Actiontec Call Waiting Modem Troubles on Mandrake

11. What modem speed am I connecting at?

12. Modem Connect speed Phoebe CMV1456VQE-T1 External 56Kbps/V.90 &X2 FAX/Modem??