Problem with GoldStar CD-ROM

Post by Brad Pepe » Thu, 19 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I'm currently at a customers site loading up 60 Linux systems to run
the store operations of 30 stores in the North West Territories.  The
systems we are using are Digital Venturis Fx 5120 computers which
are 120MHz pentiums, builtin IDE, PCI/ISA, 32Mb RAM.  Pretty standard
stuff and we have used similar Digital models before.  The CD-ROM
drive supplied is different though.  Its a GoldStar 8x with a model
number GCD-R580B.

The problem is that while loading Red Hat 4.0 we are getting timeout
errors on the CD-ROM device.  This makes the load take at least 4
hours per computer (times 60 computers!).  The CD-ROMs are on the
primary ide controller and are jumpered as slave devices.  The
Quantum Fireball HD is jumpered as the master device.  I have also
tried it with the CD-ROM on the secondary ide controller as the
master device but I still get the same problems.

Here is some dmesg output:

hda: QUANTUM FIREBALL_TM1700A, 1628MB w/ 76Kb cache
hdb: GCD-R580B, ATAPI CD-ROM
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7, 0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177, 0x376 on irq 15

And here is the actual error message.  This happens over and over
while doing the install.  It will do a little bit quickly (1 or 2
small packages or in a burst a part of a large package) and then
just sit for a number of seconds (5 or 10) before it gives the
timeout message as follows:

hdb: irq timeout: status=0x58
hdb: ATAPI reset complete

Here is what I've tried:

1. Installed Caldera Network Desktop instead.  This actually worked
   fine so I think it shows that the problem is in the 2.0.x kernels.

2. Used a different CD-ROM (Toshiba) on the same IDE cable jumpered
   the same way (slave).  This worked for the Red Hat 4.0 install.
   I think this shows the problem is specifically between the
   2.0.x kernels and the GoldStar CD-ROM.

3. Using the Toshiba CD-ROM I installed the Red Hat 4.0 system.  Then
   I put back in the GoldStar CD-ROM and ran some tests.  If I do a
   "ls -lR" on the CD-ROM and the HD at the same time, there is no
   problems.  When I try to install a rpm package from the CD-ROM
   I get the problems.  I think this shows that both devices reading
   at the same time is not a problem but that reading from the CD-ROM
   and writing to the HD at the same time causes the problem.

4. I tried playing around with hdparm to try different options but
   no change.

5. I tried using the "hdb=slow" option but no change.

6. I have removed all hardware (such as SMC EtherEZ and Cyclades 8YO)
   but it made no difference.

7. Patched the kernel from Red Hat from 2.0.18 to 2.0.27 and the
   problem still existed.

The end result is either we:

a) Get the problem fixed (hope this is what we can do!)
b) Change the CD-ROM (not sure if manufacturer will do so)
c) Install Caldera Network Desktop instead

I don't want to install CND since I want the newer kernel (we are
also installing floppy tape drives that need the latest ftape
which is included with the 2.0.x kernels).

which is making the install speed unbearable.  I think I have isolated
it to the point where it is definitely the combination of the 2.0.18
kernel in Red Hat 4.0 and the GoldStar CD-ROM.

I hope we can get a solution for this quickly as we are only here
till Friday (setting up the first 17 computers - coming back in
January for the rest).

I believe is the maintainer of the IDE CD-ROM driver.  So far I have
received no response.

Brad Pepers                             Proud supporter of Linux and
Ramparts Management Group Ltd.          Caldera in Canada!

http://www.agt.net/public/ramparts      Linux rules!

Post by J.I.v. Hemer » Fri, 20 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> I'm currently at a customers site loading up 60 Linux systems to run
> the store operations of 30 stores in the North West Territories.  The
> systems we are using are Digital Venturis Fx 5120 computers which
> are 120MHz pentiums, builtin IDE, PCI/ISA, 32Mb RAM.  Pretty standard
> stuff and we have used similar Digital models before.  The CD-ROM
> drive supplied is different though.  Its a GoldStar 8x with a model
> number GCD-R580B.

> The problem is that while loading Red Hat 4.0 we are getting timeout
> errors on the CD-ROM device.  This makes the load take at least 4
> hours per computer (times 60 computers!).  The CD-ROMs are on the
> primary ide controller and are jumpered as slave devices.  The
> Quantum Fireball HD is jumpered as the master device.  I have also
> tried it with the CD-ROM on the secondary ide controller as the
> master device but I still get the same problems.

<SNIT>
> which is making the install speed unbearable.  I think I have isolated
> it to the point where it is definitely the combination of the 2.0.18
> kernel in Red Hat 4.0 and the GoldStar CD-ROM.

> I hope we can get a solution for this quickly as we are only here
> till Friday (setting up the first 17 computers - coming back in
> January for the rest).

> I believe is the maintainer of the IDE CD-ROM driver.  So far I have
> received no response.

> Brad Pepers                             Proud supporter of Linux and
> Ramparts Management Group Ltd.          Caldera in Canada!

> http://www.agt.net/public/ramparts      Linux rules!

I use the Goldstar GCD-R580B under Linux too, I have seen two strange
things. Firstly the audio didn't work with some 2.0.x kernels, I'm
currently running 2.1.10 and having no trouble. Secondly when I'm
untarring a file from cdrom it spins up with quite some noise and then
comes to a complete stop with a strange sound. After some time though
untars the file. Strangly copying a file holds no problem.
The only thing I can say is to install a kernel 2.1.x before completing
the whole installation.

--

                                                ......Jano
   J.I.v.Hemert

   WWW : http://www.wi.leidenuniv.nl/~jvhemert

Problem with GoldStar CD-ROM

Post by Bruce O. Benso » Sat, 21 Dec 1996 04:00:00

        I am running a very similar system at home: RedHat 4.0, Quantum Fireball
master and that Goldstar 580 CD-ROM (whose display box proudly proclaims
Linux compatibility).  The install had to be redone twice before I got no
errors.  The successful install took 2-1/2 hours.  That system  has a
Triton 2 Tucson chipset, P133 and dual IDE.  But I have a P133 Gateway with
a Fireball and a noisy Wearnes 8x CD-ROM at work. Over there the same
install of 'everything' (300+ megs) took *17 minutes flat* with no errors.
        I would also like to hear of a fix for the Goldstar drive.

Problem with GoldStar CD-ROM

Post by Brad Pepe » Mon, 23 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Well I've kind of found the problem.  All the CD-ROMs we got that were
manufactured in October suffered from the lost interrupts problem.  Out
of the 90 we purchased, only 18 were from October (but it was the first
box we used so they all failed!).  The rest are from November and they
work fine.

So it looks like there was a problem and GoldStar fixed it in the next
version.  Oddly though the ROM version stamped on the outside is 1.05
for both October and November manufacture dates.

replace it with a newer one!  This of course assumes that they will
honor the fact that Linux is on the supported list on their box which
they wouldn't with me!  I do not intend to deal with them again!

Brad Pepers                             Proud supporter of Linux and
Ramparts Management Group Ltd.          Caldera in Canada!

http://www.agt.net/public/ramparts      Linux rules!

1. RedHat 4.1: problems with GoldStar CD-ROM

Hi. I sent the gist of this to RedHat support, but thought I might
post this as a warning.

I tried to install RedHat 4.1 using a GoldStar (Model CRD-8160B)
ATAPI cd-rom (8-16x). It didn't work (RPMs crashed). Symptoms:
Very long estimated install times (2 hours+) for an ~200mb install;
the cd-rom sounded like it was perpetually spinning up and spinning
down, so there may have been some kind of timing problem with the
install. The Goldstar is the Master on the secondary IDE controller
(i.e., it is hdc). The Goldstar works fine under Windows95, of course.

I was fortunate enough to have an old Mitsumi (2x) cd-rom connected to
my system as well, and the installation went smoothly with it. (The
whole installation took ~15 minutes.) I can access the Goldstar via
"mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom2" within Linux just fine.

I have to say that beyond this one glitch, the installation went very
smoothly. Now I just have to figure out how to connect to my SLIP
provider...

2. 9th Computer Security Incident Handling Workshop

3. Help: problem with Goldstar CD-ROM drive

4. Re-confuguring hard disks

5. IDE problem with Goldstar 8x CD-ROM

6. iptables: dropped packets

7. Goldstar CD-rom problems

8. GNOME vs KDE

9. problems with Goldstar GCD-R420B CD-ROM drive

10. Goldstar GCD-R420B CD-rom problem !? (help!!!)

11. Goldstar CD-Rom Problem

12. Yet Another CD-ROM Problem : Goldstar

13. GoldStar 540 CD-Rom Setup Problems