stability of new ATI RADEON drivers vs dri?

stability of new ATI RADEON drivers vs dri?

Post by Michal Frackowia » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 19:55:00

does anyone have tested them for a longer time? are they stable? so is it
safe to put them on a linux workstation?

my private hesitation is (I am just about to buy a new workstation) if to
buy a 7500 (dri opensource support) or go for newer card with ATI native
drivers...

thank you for any reply and help
michal frackowiak

stability of new ATI RADEON drivers vs dri?

Post by Mario Wehbrin » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 20:31:16

Am Fri, 06 Dec 2002 schrieb Michal Frackowiak in comp.os.linux.hardware:

Quote:> does anyone have tested them for a longer time? are they stable? so is it
> safe to put them on a linux workstation?

> my private hesitation is (I am just about to buy a new workstation) if to
> buy a 7500 (dri opensource support) or go for newer card with ATI native
> drivers...

At least for the ATI-driver i can say that it is stable in my oppinion.
I use them with a Radeon8500. No problems with rh7.2 XFree 4.2.
i have not tested the new version of the driver (with XV support and
texture compression) so i can't say anything about that.

Mario

--
Windoze not found: (C)heer, (P)arty or (D)ance?

stability of new ATI RADEON drivers vs dri?

Post by Peter Christ » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 23:16:04

I'm running the 2.5.1 release on Slackware 9.0b with a Radeon 9000, and no
problems so far.....

--
Pete

Post by Smitt » Sun, 08 Dec 2002 03:43:31

> does anyone have tested them for a longer time? are they stable? so is it
> safe to put them on a linux workstation?

> my private hesitation is (I am just about to buy a new workstation) if to
> buy a 7500 (dri opensource support) or go for newer card with ATI native
> drivers...

> thank you for any reply and help
> michal frackowiak

I am using a ati radeon 7500 card and no problems.
Smitty

Post by Marcus Laue » Mon, 09 Dec 2002 11:29:34

> does anyone have tested them for a longer time? are they stable? so is it
> safe to put them on a linux workstation?

> my private hesitation is (I am just about to buy a new workstation) if to
> buy a 7500 (dri opensource support) or go for newer card with ATI native
> drivers...

> thank you for any reply and help
> michal frackowiak

     I would recommend another video card!  You can get better performance
that way.  Radeon 8500 cards don't cost much more than 7500 cards anymore,
and they'll give better performance than either a 7500 or a 9000/9000 Pro.
GeForce 3 Ti200 cards aren't too pricey either...

                                                            Marcus

stability of new ATI RADEON drivers vs dri?

Post by Nomen Nesci » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 07:20:05

Does the TV-Out on the ATI cards work now on Linux with these new
drivers?

nomen

--------------------------------

Post by Marcus Laue » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 14:24:19

> Does the TV-Out on the ATI cards work now on Linux with these new
> drivers?

> nomen

     Probably not.  It looks like ATI is "considering" adding this feature
to their binary drivers.  There is a program which _might_ enable tv-out on
a newer ATI card, but I wouldn't bet on it:

http://www.stud.uni-hamburg.de/users/lennart/projects/atitvout/

     nVidia cards do have working tv-out on Linux.

                                                            Marcus

stability of new ATI RADEON drivers vs dri?

Post by Nomen Nesci » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 06:10:03

Hmm...well, I'm wanting to do a home made PVR project, but, only have
a P3 600Mhz. I was wanting to use the ATI 8500 DV with the
on board video compression chip....I considered using a nVidia card,
but, don't find any with hardware compression....and I don't think my
box is fast enough to do software compression on the fly....

Are there any nVidia cards out there that can do hardware compression
and I've missed them?

TIA,

nomen

You Said:
-----------------------------

Quote:> Does the TV-Out on the ATI cards work now on Linux with these new
> drivers?

> nomen

     Probably not.  It looks like ATI is "considering" adding this feature
to their binary drivers.  There is a program which _might_ enable tv-out on
a newer ATI card, but I wouldn't bet on it:

http://www.stud.uni-hamburg.de/users/lennart/projects/atitvout/

     nVidia cards do have working tv-out on Linux.

                                                            Marcus

1. NEW: ATI FireGL 8800 Linux Driver works for Radeon 8500 (includes DRI support)

I just tried the new ATI FireGL 8800 workstation Linux driver with my AIW
Radeon 8500DV and...it works, and with DRI available, yet.

The FireGL 8x00 is based on the Radeon 8500, but is aimed primarily toward
the professional workstation/simulator market (so it isn't really *that*
surprising that the driver for FireGL works with the R8500).  UNfortunately,
while DRI works, some OpenGL stuff (notably Quake III: Arena and UT) won't
work (while glxgears smokes, and TuxRacer is gorgeous).

However, I tried Q3A under WINE (not a true Linux installer, since I can't
find the blasted thing)...would a true Linux Q3A installer solve the OGL
woes?

Christopher L. Estep

2. gnome install/gtk prob

3. Compilation problem with radeon dri drivers from dri.sf.net

4. Web Content via NFS, performance issues?

5. DRI Permission problem new ATI Drivers and 9700 Pro

6. Script to automate ftp?

7. ATI Radeon QD radeon driver cant do more than 1152x864x8

8. AMS PowerCD Bootdisk needed

9. Q: support status for ATI Mobility Radeon/DRI?

10. FBSD4.5 + xf86 4.2.0 + ATI Radeon 7500 = DRI does not work

11. DRI, ATI Radeon, and Tuxracer, flightgear, and q3demo

12. ATI Radeon 7500 on Mandrake 9.1 -- DRI does not load

13. ATI Radeon VE + redhat 8.0 problems with DRI/DRM