Dell Dimension Pc with #9 video hardware

Dell Dimension Pc with #9 video hardware

Post by Craig A. Urquha » Wed, 06 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

I am currently thinking about buying a Dell Dimension system to run
Linux Slackware on and wondered if there will be any problems when I
try to run X-Windows. The system will either have the #9FX or #9 Trio
video card in it.

Does anyone already have this configuration with Linux running
X-Windows, is there a site where I can get the required drivers or
should I specify something like a ATI or Matrox card when I order the
system?

TIA,

Craig.

Post by Mike Colem » Wed, 06 Sep 1995 04:00:00

|I am currently thinking about buying a Dell Dimension system to run
|Linux Slackware on and wondered if there will be any problems when I
|try to run X-Windows. The system will either have the #9FX or #9 Trio
|video card in it.

|Does anyone already have this configuration with Linux running
|X-Windows, is there a site where I can get the required drivers or
|should I specify something like a ATI or Matrox card when I order the
|system?

I have a #9 FX Motion 771 (which is what they shipped with my XPS P100c even
though I ordered the basic card).  Works fine for me with XFree86 3.1.2.

As for Matrox, aren't they on the blacklist? (i.e., because they won't release
the programming info for their cards)

--Mike

--

**** Center for TeleComputing Research, CSTP, U. of Missouri--Kansas City *****

       Linux: The OS people choose without $200,000,000 of persuasion.

Dell Dimension Pc with #9 video hardware

Post by Ivo Wel » Thu, 07 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Anyone knows if the #9 GXE64 Pro 1600 (1600*1200 in >72Hz) is supported?