kppp sticks on initialising modem

Post by Jame » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 04:30:11

Hi,
  I have a US Robotics external 28,800 modem and I am trying to connect to
the internet using Kppp (The dialup program that comes with KDE.) Linux
recognises the modem and I can query it using the query option in kppp but
when I click connect the dialogue box says:

Please wait......Initialising modem.....
and it just stays on initialising and doesn't change, I eventually just
have to click cancel. I've tried adjusting the modem command set but to no
avail.

Does anyone have any ideas.
sincerely.
          JL

My computer.
cyrix 266
64 MB RAM
SuSE 7.0
US Robotics Sportster 28,800 modem.

Post by mst » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 05:36:25

> Hi,
>   I have a US Robotics external 28,800 modem and I am trying to connect to
> the internet using Kppp (The dialup program that comes with KDE.) Linux
> recognises the modem and I can query it using the query option in kppp but
> when I click connect the dialogue box says:

> Please wait......Initialising modem.....
> and it just stays on initialising and doesn't change, I eventually just
> have to click cancel. I've tried adjusting the modem command set but to no
> avail.

What if you remove the init string alltogether. Usually the factory
default is good enough.

MST

1. kppp waiting forever on initializing modem

Got IBM Thinkpad 600E with Mwave driver for ACP modem. Works fine with wvdial,
however when using kppp ATZ is sent to modem and then kppp is waiting forever
for OK. When trying to query modem (using corresponding kppp command),
I'm receving number of "IBM Thinkpad modem..." strings as reply, so I guess
serial port with related stuff (irq, i/o port) is assigned fine. Any idea how
to proceed.

Thanks.

2. how to express queue

3. kppp sometimes won't initialized modem

4. Adding DNS causes slow telnet

5. Linux Newbie is stuck trying to dial using kppp

6. Installing Linux on a Win95 machine.

7. applications got stuck from KPPP?

8. Linux not routing (?)

9. kppp/modem problem (modem busy)

10. Problem with KPPP and Aopen FM56-ITU modem *sorry, modem is not responding*

11. pppd: modem not initialized

12. faxgetty cannot initialize modem

13. can't initialize my modems