PCI Hardware Modem USR 2977 not recognized after install in Suse 8.1

PCI Hardware Modem USR 2977 not recognized after install in Suse 8.1

Post by MM » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 12:37:49

I just bought Suse 8.1 and it recognized my modem on install but now it
doesnt.
I have tried different settings and configuring it manually but to no avail.
Its a USR 2977 Hardware modem.  What the hell.  My old Suse 7.1 recognized
it fine.

Any ideas?

PCI Hardware Modem USR 2977 not recognized after install in Suse 8.1

Post by DarkLigh » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 19:39:52

if your old suse 7.1 recognized it install 7.1 first and then up date if
you have done this already i dont know visit suse web site they are very
help full by the way how good is suse 8.1 i run suse 8.0

> I just bought Suse 8.1 and it recognized my modem on install but now it
> doesnt.
> I have tried different settings and configuring it manually but to no avail.
> Its a USR 2977 Hardware modem.  What the hell.  My old Suse 7.1 recognized
> it fine.

> Any ideas?

PCI Hardware Modem USR 2977 not recognized after install in Suse 8.1

Post by jam » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 02:51:16

well i looked in system the control center and noticed under sys info my
modem was recognized as /dev/ttyS4 but this didnt show up in the modem setup
screen, so i manually changed it, and it worked,
-man i love linux when it works,
-ok back to my windoze appliance now

> if your old suse 7.1 recognized it install 7.1 first and then up date if
> you have done this already i dont know visit suse web site they are very
> help full by the way how good is suse 8.1 i run suse 8.0

> > I just bought Suse 8.1 and it recognized my modem on install but now it
> > doesnt.
> > I have tried different settings and configuring it manually but to no
avail.
> > Its a USR 2977 Hardware modem.  What the hell.  My old Suse 7.1
recognized
> > it fine.

> > Any ideas?

PCI Hardware Modem USR 2977 not recognized after install in Suse 8.1

Post by Bruce Burhan » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 06:24:44

Anyone that  changes their name in the middle of
their own thread  doesn't need to worry about how
computers work.

They need to worry about how their BRAIN  works.

Bruce
--
     Bellingham   Washington   USA
     bburhan1    AT   earthlink   DOT  nets

1. 3com/USR 2977 PCI modem (oem)

Has anyone had any experience with the U.S. Robotics model 2977 pci modem. I
checked it out on 3com's website and they say it's a hardware modem. I'm
inclined to belive this, as the modem itself didn't come with any disks. It
works fine in WinME, but shows up as com 5, irq 5, i/o address 0xE400. I've
tried using in a couple of different forms to force one of the ttySx devices
to use it, but keep getting "modem busy" errors from any comm program
(minicom, gppp, kppp, etc.). I'm running a stock Mandrake 7.1 system on an
AMD Athlon w/ABit KT7 mobo. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as
I've been working on this for about 4 days now.

    --Shawn Craver

2. voodoo 3 3000 agp and XFree 3.3.6 ?

3. PCI modem 3COM/USR 2977

4. NT4.0+Win95+DOS/Win3.11+Redhat+Linux- all bootable

5. Toshiba Lpatop Modem not recognised under SuSE 8.1

6. how to truncate lines

7. USR modem model 5687 versus 2977?

8. Samba & kernel:attempt to access beyond end of device

9. KDE v1.x -vs- USR 2977 Modem!

10. 3com PCI 2977 Controller Modem?

11. kontour does not work with fresh install of SuSE 8.1

12. USR 2977 & 2976 - Comments Please

13. HOWTO setup a US Robotics/3Com 56K PCI FaxModem Model 5610/2977