Installing Red Hat EL 3.0 on external USB drive ( Maxtor 300 LE, 120 GB )

Installing Red Hat EL 3.0 on external USB drive ( Maxtor 300 LE, 120 GB )

Post by Karth » Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:14:19

Hi,
  Here is the scenario. I have redhat linux 9.0 installed on my
external usb 2 hard drive ( maxtor 300 LE ) and I am able to boot
linux from this hard drive and use it. This works perfectly fine. Now,
I need to overwrite my existing linux partition with Redhat EL 3.0
because it is mandated in my institution. Hence, I tried to install(
reinstall )  linux on the external hard drive thru the following steps

1) Boot the PC from Linux install CD-ROM
2) install starts and detects my keyboard, mouse etc. also loads
drivers for usb storage device
3) It throws up a screen listing the drives where I can install linux.
Here, I am unable to see my external hard drive. I remember that it
will be shown with the label sda. but I am able to see only my
internal IDE hard disk ( hda ) and not the external hard drive ( sda
).
     Due to the problem mentioned in step 3, I am unable to install
redhat EL 3 on my external hard drive. any solutions will be most
welcome.

Thanks,
Karthik

Installing Red Hat EL 3.0 on external USB drive ( Maxtor 300 LE, 120 GB )

Post by ptenisn » Tue, 12 Oct 2004 05:11:40

Boot off of the installation CD/DVD. At the prompt, type, "linux expert".
This will load the necessary USB drivers and off you go....

> Hi,
>   Here is the scenario. I have redhat linux 9.0 installed on my
> external usb 2 hard drive ( maxtor 300 LE ) and I am able to boot
> linux from this hard drive and use it. This works perfectly fine. Now,
> I need to overwrite my existing linux partition with Redhat EL 3.0
> because it is mandated in my institution. Hence, I tried to install(
> reinstall )  linux on the external hard drive thru the following steps

> 1) Boot the PC from Linux install CD-ROM
> 2) install starts and detects my keyboard, mouse etc. also loads
> drivers for usb storage device
> 3) It throws up a screen listing the drives where I can install linux.
> Here, I am unable to see my external hard drive. I remember that it
> will be shown with the label sda. but I am able to see only my
> internal IDE hard disk ( hda ) and not the external hard drive ( sda
> ).
>      Due to the problem mentioned in step 3, I am unable to install
> redhat EL 3 on my external hard drive. any solutions will be most
> welcome.

> Thanks,
> Karthik

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. How to use find with conditional expressions?

3. Can't install Red Hat 7.1 on a compaq Prosignia 300 24M

4. MAKE.MONEY.FAST

5. Probs installing external Zip drive on Red Hat 5.2

6. wangtec tape controller

7. Linux 2.4 Driver for Maxtor External USB 2.0 Drive?

8. dvd/cd-rom behaves strangely

9. 120 Gb drive with Linux?

10. Install 7vip LE+ on Red Hat 7.2

11. How to partition 120 GB drive for Solaris 9

12. Problems with HighPoint Rocket 100 and/or Seagate 120 GB hard drive

13. AMD K6 II 300 and Red Hat 5.1