Possible to boot /dev/hdd from boot floppy?

Possible to boot /dev/hdd from boot floppy?

Post by al goodma » Tue, 21 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I just installed a Western Digital 3.1G drive as /dev/hdd, partitioned
the drive with one extended partition, a swap partition, an 80M root, a
400M usr, and a 50M home partition.  I then loaded RedHat 4.2, kernal
2.0.30 on it and made a boot floppy.

When I attempt to boot LILO hangs after displaying LI.  Is it possible
to boot this drive from a floppy?

BTW, hdc is a linux disk, running the Slackware distribution(kernal
2.0.0).  I can boot that kernal and do a symbolic link to the /dev/hdd5
and /dev/hdd6 and list and view the files there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
al

1. use floppy when boot linux by boot floppy

Hello, I need help on using utility floppy when my linux is boot
by floppy.

Booting is ok, but I need some utilities like "mkdosfs" ...,
which are not contained in the boot&root diskettes. So I make a
utility floppy (mke2fs /dev/fd0; mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /mnt;
cp /sbin/mkdosfs /mnt;) on another linux. Then I insert this
utility floppy back to my linux and mount it to /floppy.
Although, the "mkdosfs" can be seen by "ls" and "cat",
it can't be executed. The error message is "mkdosfs not found".
The boot&root diskettes are from Slackware.

I have check out Linux Bootdisk HOWTO but still have no idea what
happen here. Can you help? Thanks a lot.

2. finding out the IP-Address of a incoming telnet call?

3. Tcsh question

4. Top memory report

5. What is the difference between /dev/sg0, /dev/scd0 /dev/hdd and /dev/cdrom ?

6. stats package for Linux?

7. Can Boot from Floppy, But Not HDD

8. How to make a boot disk on /dev/hdd (Superdisk)

9. Can Boot From Floppy, But Not HDD?

10. Mandrake 7 wont boot from HDD - floppy only

11. Saga of `Can boot from floppy but not from SCSI HDD'