Problem mounting cdrom on CDROM-floppy hot swap Dell laptop

Problem mounting cdrom on CDROM-floppy hot swap Dell laptop

Post by Yong Hua » Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:07:21

Dell Latitude C640
Redhat Linux 8.0 (kernel 2.4.18-14 #1)

I use a floppy bootdisk to boot into Linux since a large portion of my
disk is Windows XP taking more than 1024 cylinders. The problem is
that this laptop uses the same slot for the floppy and CD drive. After
I boot into Linux from the floppy and replace the floppy drive with a
CD drive, I can't mount the CD. "mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom
/mnt/cdrom returns" says "/dev/cdrom is not a valid block device"
(/dev/cdrom links to /dev/hdc; but mounting /dev/hd[bcd] makes no
difference). /var/log/messages says "modprobe: Can't locate module
block-major-22". "dmesg | grep -i cdrom" returns nothing.

Then I added "alias block-major-22 off" to modules.conf. The message
changes to "... block-major-33". Then I added these lines

alias block-major-33 off
options ide-cd ignore=hdb
options ide-cd ignore=hdc

Now no more modprobe message in /var/log/messages, but I still can't
mount the CD. Thanks for any advice.

Yong Huang

Post by Joerg Morbitze » Thu, 04 Sep 2003 18:55:44

> Dell Latitude C640
> Redhat Linux 8.0 (kernel 2.4.18-14 #1)

> I use a floppy bootdisk to boot into Linux since a large portion of my
> disk is Windows XP taking more than 1024 cylinders. The problem is
> that this laptop uses the same slot for the floppy and CD drive. After
> I boot into Linux from the floppy and replace the floppy drive with a
> CD drive, I can't mount the CD. "mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom
> /mnt/cdrom returns" says "/dev/cdrom is not a valid block device"
> (/dev/cdrom links to /dev/hdc; but mounting /dev/hd[bcd] makes no
> difference). /var/log/messages says "modprobe: Can't locate module
> block-major-22". "dmesg | grep -i cdrom" returns nothing.

> Then I added "alias block-major-22 off" to modules.conf. The message
> changes to "... block-major-33". Then I added these lines

> alias block-major-33 off
> options ide-cd ignore=hdb
> options ide-cd ignore=hdc

> Now no more modprobe message in /var/log/messages, but I still can't
> mount the CD. Thanks for any advice.

> Yong Huang

Perhaps you should start playing around with your modules. During the boot
process of course no cdrom can be recognized. If your kernel is completely
modulized try to unload the floppy module (rmmod floppy) after your Linux
is up and running, change the floppy with the cd drive and load the ide cd
driver by (modprobe ide-cd). Check out dmesg for new messages...

Regards, Joerg.

Post by Yong Hua » Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:27:56

> > Dell Latitude C640
> > Redhat Linux 8.0 (kernel 2.4.18-14 #1)

> > I use a floppy bootdisk to boot into Linux since a large portion of my
> > disk is Windows XP taking more than 1024 cylinders. The problem is
> > that this laptop uses the same slot for the floppy and CD drive. After
> > I boot into Linux from the floppy and replace the floppy drive with a
> > CD drive, I can't mount the CD. "mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom
> > /mnt/cdrom" says "/dev/cdrom is not a valid block device"
> > (/dev/cdrom links to /dev/hdc; but mounting /dev/hd[bcd] makes no
> > difference). /var/log/messages says "modprobe: Can't locate module
> > block-major-22". "dmesg | grep -i cdrom" returns nothing.

> > Then I added "alias block-major-22 off" to modules.conf. The message
> > changes to "... block-major-33". Then I added these lines

> > alias block-major-33 off
> > options ide-cd ignore=hdb
> > options ide-cd ignore=hdc

> > Now no more modprobe message in /var/log/messages, but I still can't
> > mount the CD. Thanks for any advice.

> > Yong Huang

> Perhaps you should start playing around with your modules. During the boot
> process of course no cdrom can be recognized. If your kernel is completely
> modulized try to unload the floppy module (rmmod floppy) after your Linux
> is up and running, change the floppy with the cd drive and load the ide cd
> driver by (modprobe ide-cd). Check out dmesg for new messages...

> Regards, Joerg.

Thanks. I just tried. rmmod floppy says that module is not loaded.
lsmod doesn't show anything that looks like floppy (or cdrom). So I
change floppy to cd drive. modprobe ide-cd works. lsmod now shows

ide-cd    33608    0
cdrom     33696    0 [ide-cd]

But mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom still throws the not a
valid block device error.

Yong Huang

1. Thinkpad 760EL and hot-swapping floppy and CDROM

My Thinkpad 760EL has a bay for either a floppy or cdrom. There is no
problem in hot-swapping these under windows but I can't find a way of
doing this under Linux. I have tried to load the devices as modules
after having them recognised as devices at bootup but this doesn't
work. Does anybody know a way of doing this with Linux?   On a
separate but related issue is there a way of powering down from an
X-windows session and bringing it back later?

2. Sources for mkLinux newbie help?

3. mount error: mount only root can mount /dev/cdrom on cdrom

4. TEST REPORT(Re: Performance Test of Linux)

5. KShell for Linux

6. mount /mnt/cdrom ==> mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

7. Connecting with PAP

8. CDROM problems on a Dell Laptop

9. RedHat 5.1 floppy install not mounting floppy ro CDROM

10. Problem with mounting CDROM on a SCSI CDROM drive

11. CDROM Problem: "mount point /cdrom does not exist"

12. Problem with mounting CDROM on a SCSI CDROM drive