1. can SCSI and IDE exist and SCSI be the FIRST drive detected?
: SCSI controller - 340 MB SCSI
: EIDE controller - 1 GB Seagate as Master on primary channel
: ATAPI CDROM as Slave on secondary channel.
: The above works fine with Slack 3.0. My question is, is there a way to
: have the SCSI be the 'first drive', I guess meaning the first drive
: detected as opposed to the IDE being the first one.
Well, you can unplug the IDE drive, but that's not what you had in mind, eh?
The short answer is no. That's all decided by the BIOS and there's not much
you can do about it short of hacking your BIOS.
The long answer is you probably don't need to.
: I am running OS/2 Boot Manager on my SCSI drive, and when I go into Linux
: (via bootdisk) and try to install LILO, it give me a warning stating that
: my root partition is NOT ON THE FIRST DRIVE. This appears to be a problem
: because when I try to install LILO to the Superblock of my /dev/sda7 root
: partition it gives the above error and then I cannot access it with Boot
The only thing that matters to LILO is that the kernel is somewhere that can
be read using BIOS. It doesn't have to be on the first drive (mine wasn't
for a long time). You're trying to boot a kernel from the 8th (assuming
there's only one on the IDE drive) partition in your system and it could be
your BIOS is limited to the first N partitions, where N is less that 8.
If the problem is that the OS/2 boot manager can't boot the partition in
question, then I've no idea what to do.
The LILO documentation is quite good though not something you can breeze
through. I think there's a FAQ somewhere about using the OS/2 boot manager
Grant Edwards | Microsoft isn't the | Yow! I'm reporting for duty
Rosemount Inc. | answer. Microsoft | as a modern person. I want
| is the question, and | to do the Latin Hustle now!
2. Problems: 2.4 + JetDirect C.02.33 + HP650C
3. problem with ide-scsi and IDE tape drive
4. RH5.2, kernel 2.0.36 : network printing problems
5. ide-scsi - How ignore IDE Zip drive?
6. A 'vi' question.
7. Can't install OS5 from IDE CD onto IDE drive
8. NFS oddify
9. LILO + windows on a SCSI drive + linux on an IDE drive
10. Is it possible to boot from a SCSI drive if two IDE drives are installed?
11. Booting off of SCSI drive with 2 IDE drives in system
12. Can IDE drive work happily with SCSI drive
13. HELP:2 IDE dos drives + 1 SCSI linux drive + LILO