RHL 7.1 & SoundBlaster PCI Digital do not work

RHL 7.1 & SoundBlaster PCI Digital do not work

Post by Bengt Thure » Mon, 15 Oct 2001 03:02:01

Hej,

I am a newbie in Linux, and have this problem with no sound in my
system.
I have Red Hat Linux 7.1, and a Sound Blaster PCI Digital card.

I have tried to configure it with sndconfig, and it discovers the
following
  Model: Ensoniq|CT5880 [AudioPCI]
but I can not hear any sounds at all.

I have tried to raise all the possible volume controles to maximum,
verified that the loudspeakers are ok (and they are).
I do not have a cable from my cd to the audio board, but I am checking
with sndconfig and MP3 files.

Do any one have any suggestions of what I should do next?

I do not have access to a windows computer to verify the IRQ, DMA or
other
settings.

Gratefull for any suggestions

Thanks
Bengt

Post by Matthew Paterso » Mon, 15 Oct 2001 04:26:16

> Hej,

> I am a newbie in Linux, and have this problem with no sound in my
> system.
> I have Red Hat Linux 7.1, and a Sound Blaster PCI Digital card.

> I have tried to configure it with sndconfig, and it discovers the
> following
>   Model: Ensoniq|CT5880 [AudioPCI]
> but I can not hear any sounds at all.

> I have tried to raise all the possible volume controles to maximum,
> verified that the loudspeakers are ok (and they are).
> I do not have a cable from my cd to the audio board, but I am checking
> with sndconfig and MP3 files.

> Do any one have any suggestions of what I should do next?

> I do not have access to a windows computer to verify the IRQ, DMA or
> other
> settings.

> Gratefull for any suggestions

> Thanks
> Bengt

does whatever software you use to play the mp3 give an error message?

--
Matt

        Fear of a flat planet

Post by Bengt Thure » Mon, 15 Oct 2001 11:51:50

> > Hej,

> > I am a newbie in Linux, and have this problem with no sound in my
> > system.
> > I have Red Hat Linux 7.1, and a Sound Blaster PCI Digital card.

> > I have tried to configure it with sndconfig, and it discovers the
> > following
> >   Model: Ensoniq|CT5880 [AudioPCI]
> > but I can not hear any sounds at all.

> > I have tried to raise all the possible volume controles to maximum,
> > verified that the loudspeakers are ok (and they are).
> > I do not have a cable from my cd to the audio board, but I am checking
> > with sndconfig and MP3 files.

> > Do any one have any suggestions of what I should do next?

> > I do not have access to a windows computer to verify the IRQ, DMA or
> > other
> > settings.

> > Gratefull for any suggestions

> > Thanks
> > Bengt

> does whatever software you use to play the mp3 give an error message?

> --
> Matt

>         Fear of a flat planet

When I try to watch a mpg movie with xmms, I get the following message
   SDL : Audio Timeout - buggy audio driver ? (disabled)

When I play a MP3 the following popup box appears
    Couldn't open Audio. Please check that:
        1) You have the correct output plugin selected
        2) No other programs is blocking the soundcard
        3) Your soundcard is configured properly

Hope that this gives you more experienced guys a clue

Thanks
/Bengt

Post by Bengt Thure » Mon, 15 Oct 2001 12:18:47

> > > Hej,

> > > I am a newbie in Linux, and have this problem with no sound in my
> > > system.
> > > I have Red Hat Linux 7.1, and a Sound Blaster PCI Digital card.

> > > I have tried to configure it with sndconfig, and it discovers the
> > > following
> > >   Model: Ensoniq|CT5880 [AudioPCI]
> > > but I can not hear any sounds at all.

> > > I have tried to raise all the possible volume controles to maximum,
> > > verified that the loudspeakers are ok (and they are).
> > > I do not have a cable from my cd to the audio board, but I am checking
> > > with sndconfig and MP3 files.

> > > Do any one have any suggestions of what I should do next?

> > > I do not have access to a windows computer to verify the IRQ, DMA or
> > > other
> > > settings.

> > > Gratefull for any suggestions

> > > Thanks
> > > Bengt

> > does whatever software you use to play the mp3 give an error message?

> > --
> > Matt

> >         Fear of a flat planet

> When I try to watch a mpg movie with xmms, I get the following message
>    SDL : Audio Timeout - buggy audio driver ? (disabled)

> When I play a MP3 the following popup box appears
>     Couldn't open Audio. Please check that:
>         1) You have the correct output plugin selected
>         2) No other programs is blocking the soundcard
>         3) Your soundcard is configured properly

> Hope that this gives you more experienced guys a clue

> Thanks
> /Bengt

More info from log files...

modules.conf
alias sound-slot-0 es1371
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null
2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null
2>&1 || :

messages
Oct 14 12:07:27 localhost modprobe: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent
than /lib/modules/2.4.3-12/modules.dep
Oct 14 12:08:35 localhost kernel: hdc: ATAPI 40X DVD-ROM drive, 256kB Cache,
UDMA(33)
Oct 14 12:08:35 localhost kernel: Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
Oct 14 12:08:35 localhost kernel: es1371: version v0.30 time 15:24:27 Jun  8
2001
Oct 14 12:08:35 localhost kernel: PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:0a.0
Oct 14 12:08:35 localhost kernel: es1371: found chip, vendor id 0x1274 device
id 0x5880 revision 0x02
Oct 14 12:08:35 localhost kernel: es1371: found es1371 rev 2 at io 0xb800 irq
10
Oct 14 12:08:35 localhost kernel: es1371: features: joystick 0x0
Oct 14 12:08:35 localhost kernel: ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id:
0x8384:0x7608 (SigmaTel STAC9708)
Oct 14 12:08:36 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
sound-service-0-0

1. Linksys WPC11 - RHL 7.1 - not working :(

RedHat 7.1, kernel 2.4.2-2,  linux-wlan-ng-0.1.9, pcmcia-cs-3.1.22, Linksys
WPC11 card.   Everything works under Winblows W2K so I know it is not hardware
or signal problems.

When I inset the card it is found, the module is loaded, finds the serial number
of the card, etc..  The link light is blinking which under winblows is bad, it
should be steady meaning the SSID is right and it has "link".

An ifconfig shows a new interface by the name of wlan0.  I have an ifcfg-wlan0
file setup for DHCP, which is being read because I also see in /var/log/messages

kernel: p80211knetdev_hard_start_xmit: Tx attempt prior to association, frame
dropped.

Which I think means it is trying to get an IP address via DHCP.  The problem
being that the SSID is probably not set correctly.  I've set it to the correct
value, "Winblows" in /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts.  I also want to set the Mode to
Infrastructure.

Using iwconfig wlan0 returns, no wireless extensions.

I'm hoping someone out there has gone through this before and can give me some
pointers.  One website, http://www.hpl.hp.com/, that is mentioned numerous
places is not responding. :(

This should not matter one bit, but just in case.  The access point is an Apple
Base station configured to be an Ethernet bridge.  This works just fine for my
Winblows 98 desktop (Netgear or Linksys card), my wife's iBook, and my latop in
W2K.

TIA,
Chad

2. transname patch?

3. Sis900 & RHL 7.1 network fails

4. fdisk misbeaving

5. Soundblaster 16 PCI with Mandrake 7.1

6. Is there a fast way for this?

7. Soundblaster 16 PCI problems with Mandrake 7.1

8. Help with awk ...

9. soundcard problems with mandrake 7.1 & soundblaster pro

10. soundblaster 64 pci not working.

11. Zoom/FaxModem PCI 56k (NOT Winmodem) & SoundBlaster Live

12. Trouble installing RHL 7.1

13. booting rhl 7.1