questions about video & graphics

Post by Ted Shoemake » Sat, 30 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi all!

I have several hardware questions . . .

1.  My video card is a Diamond Speedstar 64, with what appears to be 1
Meg of RAM.  What kind of RAM should I look for, when seeking to
increase my video RAM?  Any warnings re: replacing video RAM?

2.  How do I find the horiz sync and vert sync of the monitor?  My
monitor is a Mitac M1448, and the company appears to be extinct now.  I
have found extremely little on the Web about this monitor.  Of course, I
bought it used, and don't have the manual.

3.  I have a scanner whose documentation says it requires Windows 95.
That was fine when I was using W95.  But as of this week, I am now a
linux user.  (Is there a slang term for that, like "penguinhead" or
something?)
How do I know whether my scanner (and in general, any piece of hardware)
is Linux-compatible?  How do I install a scanner, with Linux?

Any answers are appreciated.

Ted Shoemaker

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

questions about video & graphics

Post by Paul Alfill » Thu, 04 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Look at the SANE website for info on scanner support.
www.mostang.com/sane

Quote:

> 3.  I have a scanner whose documentation says it requires Windows 95.
> That was fine when I was using W95.  But as of this week, I am now a
> linux user.  (Is there a slang term for that, like "penguinhead" or
> something?)
> How do I know whether my scanner (and in general, any piece of hardware)
> is Linux-compatible?  How do I install a scanner, with Linux?

questions about video & graphics

Post by Paul Alfill » Thu, 04 Nov 1999 04:00:00

This is the easiest of your questions:
There generally isn't much choice in upgrading video ram. See if there is
any
place to put the RAM, then look on Diamond's web site for your options.
In general, PCI video cards are a glut on the market, so don't be afraid to

buy a new one. (I like the matrox cards).

Quote:

> 1.  My video card is a Diamond Speedstar 64, with what appears to be 1
> Meg of RAM.  What kind of RAM should I look for, when seeking to
> increase my video RAM?  Any warnings re: replacing video RAM?

1. ATI Graphics Xpression 2MB DRAM Video card & X?

Am trying to find out if anyone out there is currently using an ATI
Graphics Xpression video card with Linux & X windows.  I've been trying
to use a new Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM 2MB card (968/IBM524 RAMDAC) with
my older Gateway 2000 CrystalScan 1024NI monitor (and, no, right now I
can't upgrade the monitor); so am considering the move to a better
supported monitor.  Doesn't help the Diamond situation that asking the
company for info is about like asking for cash donations...

Rick Forrister

2. Solaris (or any) privacy? None!

3. NVIDIA: Video In, TV out, Video In Player, & Video Editor...

4. Updating linux kernel (?)

5. Graphics Painting question for graphics Gurus.

6. Q: Using a PC as X terminal off Solaris *remotely*???

7. Graphics Cards & Sound Board Questions

8. How do I initiate secondary port on some EIDE controllers?

11. 没有人用中文吗?

12. Showing permissions: graphic && octal

13. Programming video card (ATI card w/ s-video & tv-out) Need direction to correct info