redhat 6.0 on amd k5 166

Post by Jeff Moor » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Anyone using an AMD K5 166 with redhat?
When I install and reboot with the stock install it fails module
dependencies every time.
This means no ethernet, firewall, or any other module.
Even the gcc compiler sends segmentation faults so I can recompile.

I have recompiled a monolithic kernel with no modules on another system
but still no ethernet with the AMD k5.

Jeff Moore

redhat 6.0 on amd k5 166

Post by Sinner from the Prair » Wed, 25 Oct 2000 19:28:47

> Anyone using an AMD K5 166 with redhat?
> When I install and reboot with the stock install it fails module
> dependencies every time.
> This means no ethernet, firewall, or any other module.
> Even the gcc compiler sends segmentation faults so I can recompile.

> I have recompiled a monolithic kernel with no modules on another system
> but still no ethernet with the AMD k5.

> Jeff Moore

Try compiling as a i486 instead of a pentium. If it doesn't work, then go
for i386. The K5 weren't the "best thing" out there, you know.

Did you updated the modules dependencies, BTW?

Hope this helps,
Sinner
--
http://www.geocities.com/sinner_prairy
[MaDuiXa PoWeR] http://www.maduixa.net

redhat 6.0 on amd k5 166

Post by Jeff Moor » Wed, 25 Oct 2000 15:14:42

Yes, I did recompile the monolithic kernel for i386 and no go.
BTW when you say update module dependencies, do you mean depmod -a,
yes, I did that and I get segmentation fault.
The gcc compiler on the amd also gets segmentation faults, I think this
thing is junk.

Any more suggestions?

Jeff Moore

redhat 6.0 on amd k5 166

Post by Sinner from the Prair » Wed, 25 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> Yes, I did recompile the monolithic kernel for i386 and no go.
> BTW when you say update module dependencies, do you mean depmod -a,
> yes, I did that and I get segmentation fault.
> The gcc compiler on the amd also gets segmentation faults, I think this
> thing is junk.
> Any more suggestions?

Do you have faulty memory?

Some segfaults appear with faulty memory, overclocked cpu's...

Check your memory.

Have you tried getting a different version of the gcc? Have you visited
theur webpage? Maybe there's some not-that-clear option while dealing with
the K5's.

Quote:> Jeff Moore

Cheers,
Sinner
--
http://www.geocities.com/sinner_prairy
[MaDuiXa PoWeR] http://www.maduixa.net
__________________
                  |\                 Linux User # 89976
=====Sinner==== >=--[]>- a Mach 2.5!!  Running on Mandrake 7.1
__________________|/                     Linux Machine # 38068

1. AMD K5 166/Kernel compile

Hey everyone,
I have a quick question. I have an AMD K5 166 system. When I compile my
new kernel, should I compile it as a pentium or i386 kernel? I have
heard that the pentium compile is in some way incompatible with AMD's
chips because of the RISC core of the chip. Thanx in advance.
William G. Gruesbeck Jr.

2. Help: Modem setup...

3. Linux on AMD K5-166/Routing etc.etc.

4. Busybox/uClibc networking problem

5. URGENT: E4500 with A1000 disk array

6. AMD K5-166 and Linux

7. *ATI MACH32 and CTX 1562M Xconfig help*

8. K5-166 Processor underLinux? Good choice or not?

9. AMD-K6-166 Processor

10. can redhat 7.2 run *comfortably* on a P-I 166 Mhz / 32 Mb RAM system?

11. About RedHat installation on 4/166