SuSe on Win98

Post by Tiefenbache » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 01:21:23

To me as an absolute beginner in linux it seems that, getting started
physically with linux, one of the most important things is the way you
organize your hard disk, especially if you want to use various OS.
So, therefore id love to know what "real experts" think about the
following: (the partitioning and formatting was done by partition magic
under win)

What do you think of my way of partitioning:

10GB hard disk partitioned in
    one primary: 4GB Fat32 for win,
        one extended partition of 6GB with:
            one logical 50MB root Linux,
            one logical 150MB swap Linux and
            one logical 3.5GB linux, and
                two logical each 1GB Fat for win data?
Do i have to expect serious problems for my harddisk, system??
Any replies greatfully aknowledged

SuSe on Win98

Post by Rober » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 03:53:59

> To me as an absolute beginner in linux it seems that, getting started
> physically with linux, one of the most important things is the way you
> organize your hard disk, especially if you want to use various OS.
> So, therefore id love to know what "real experts" think

mm does it take a real expert to advice on this? ;) i'll do my best

Quote:> about the
> following: (the partitioning and formatting was done by partition magic
> under win)

> What do you think of my way of partitioning:

> 10GB hard disk partitioned in
>     one primary: 4GB Fat32 for win,
>         one extended partition of 6GB with:

well this depends on the usage you're giving to both of them. no space
is too much
for Linux, if you got windoze there resting just to run some programs
2GB should be enough.

Quote:>             one logical 50MB root Linux,

why, is this a home box or a multiuser system? if a home box make a
little (20MB)
partition and mount it on /boot and leave it the rest for /. better be
safe and
make a /boot partition or else you could have a *ing trouble with
LILO (i.e. your
box just doesnt boot). if a multiuser system you'll probably want some
security and
mount /home /var and /tmp in different partitions (it isnt pretty when a
* user
fills /tmp with garbage and this stops the whole disk) ask me if this is
your case.

Quote:>             one logical 150MB swap Linux and

depends on the amount of RAM you got, minimum double your RAM. if you
have room to spare be generous and give it 256MB.

Quote:>             one logical 3.5GB linux, and
>                 two logical each 1GB Fat for win data?

you mean two fat partitions for windows, why? you better give the
windoze partition
this pair of GB and make it 6GB. as you have less than 4 partitions you
dont need to make logical ones (should be avoided).

Quote:> Do i have to expect serious problems for my harddisk, system??

no everything i've told is about performance, it'd work eitherway.

Quote:> Any replies greatfully aknowledged

hope been helpful

Robert

--
This is a .signature virus. Please add me to your signature file and
help me live

SuSe on Win98

Post by Peter T. Breue » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 14:57:34

> What do you think of my way of partitioning:

Read the Partition-HOWTO.

Peter

1. Suse Linux And Win98 in network for dummy

I would like to connect my PC with Linux Suse 5.3 and my laptop with
win98. Both have an ethernet card and can be directly connected. I have
understood that I should use SAMBA to do the connection, but I don't
know how !
Is there somewhere any basic help on the package to install, the
configuration to use for a simple network like this ?
How should I configure win98 to see my Linux server ? Should I use a
Novell emulation, start win98 in Novell client or Microsoft Network ?
Where should I tell Linux that my laptop is an user ? Is there any list
of host to configure ?

Thank you for any kind of help

2. Solaris 2.5 on IBM ThinkPad 760ED

3. newbie: win98 and suse linux 6.4 on 30GB HD

4. how does one resize a reiserfs partition?

5. Using LILO to dual boot Win98 and SuSE

6. rpm and libc5 libc6

7. Win98, 2000 and suse 6.2

8. Mylex DCE376 driver anyone?

9. win98 to Mandrake7.2 to SuSE?

10. Suse Install files onto CDRs using Win98?

11. Connecting win98 workstation to Suse 6.4 server

12. Suse Linux + Win98

13. WIN98 and Suse-Linux 6.1 Problems