AmbiCom Modem - Linux - anybody try it?

Post by sara » Thu, 17 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Has anyone heard of or used AmbiCom
Model AMB802 with Linux
PnP install for Windoze but says "Supports Linux"  only $79

Post by Rob Cla » Thu, 17 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>Has anyone heard of or used AmbiCom
>Model AMB802 with Linux
>PnP install for Windoze but says "Supports Linux"  only $79

Re: AMB8802
       ^
Based on a look at the Windows drivers, it looks like a standard Rockweel
ACF (full hardware) modem. :)

http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

Post by Vladimir Florinsk » Thu, 17 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> > Has anyone heard of or used AmbiCom
> > Model AMB802 with Linux
> > PnP install for Windoze but says "Supports Linux"  only $79

> I paid less than that for  a US Robotics/3Com 3CP2976 with voice, fax,
> selective ring, and caller id.  I hope that these features are all fully
> supported someday soon.

> JRT

Yeah, I got this one too. It was $52 if I remember correctly. However, US
Robotics modems in general have certain problems that makes some software
unreliable. That can be said about the voice feature, e.g., when you use your
modem as an answering machine. I e-mailed a report to vgetty mainteiners,
hopefully this issue will get resolved in the future. BTW, did you have any
problems with vgetty?
--

Vladimir

Post by James Richard Tyre » Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:53:56

> Has anyone heard of or used AmbiCom
> Model AMB802 with Linux
> PnP install for Windoze but says "Supports Linux"  only $79

I paid less than that for  a US Robotics/3Com 3CP2976 with voice, fax,
selective ring, and caller id.  I hope that these features are all fully
supported someday soon.

JRT

  tyrerj.vcf
< 1K Download

1. sony vaio linux notebook -- anybody tried this?

greetings,

i have a chance of getting a very cheap sony vaio *ultra thin* notebook.
has anyone here tried this hardware with linux before?  i am particularly
concerned about starting the system off in the first place, since the
vaio has an external floppy disk and cd-rom.  i am not sure if i can boot
my os iso image from the cd-rom or not to start the install.  i'm also
weary of potential hardware/device drivers incompatibilities.  this will
be a linux-only system; no partitions to windoze or other os's.

i'm not new to linux, just new to vaios.  i've been using compaq
notebooks + linux for a couple of years with success.

thx in advnc,

pr3d4t0r
"Use simple tools and superior grey matter to
figure out what's wrong." -- Mattew Strebe

2. XCert's CA and Servlets

3. Has anybody tried Gentus-Linux from Abit?

4. Unix on an older DEC 3000/600 or DEC 3000/300

5. Anybody tried Sony laptop w/Linux yet?

6. Iomega SCSI Zip drive and Zip Zoom card

7. Anybody tried Linux on Athlon yet?

8. Systrace equivalent?

9. Has anybody tried Holon Linux?

10. Has anybody tried Gentus-Linux from Abit?

11. Has Anybody has tried Corel Version Of Linux ?

12. Anybody tried AppleTalk (netatalk) with Linux?

13. ANybody tried tacacs software with linux?