Linux does not work with SMC 1211tx PCI nic card

Linux does not work with SMC 1211tx PCI nic card

Post by Tata » Sat, 31 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Need help please,
      I very "green" in linux, being a DOS/WINDOWS believer for a long
time... my SMC1211tx PCI nic card does not work. I've downloaded the source
from smc for this nic card, but I do not know how to make it all work.

Can you please HELP thanks a mil...
John Nunez

Linux does not work with SMC 1211tx PCI nic card

Post by Howard Man » Mon, 02 Aug 1999 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:

> Need help please,
>       I very "green" in linux, being a DOS/WINDOWS believer for a long
> time... my SMC1211tx PCI nic card does not work. I've downloaded the source
> from smc for this nic card, but I do not know how to make it all work.

> Can you please HELP thanks a mil...
> John Nunez

This item indicates that you need to use the  RTL8139 driver :

http://www.google.com/linux?q=cache:35684080&dq=cache:www.bmen.tulane...

This page describes how to get/use it :

http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/rtl8139.html

Cheers,

--
Howard Mann
http://www.newbielinux.com

Linux does not work with SMC 1211tx PCI nic card

Post by Dave McIntos » Tue, 03 Aug 1999 04:00:00

You need the rtl8139.o module to get that card working.

Check your /lib/modules/version/net directory (replace "version" with the
2.2.5-15 or equivalent version number you run) and if it's there then you do
not need to compile that source you have.

Dave.

Quote:

> Need help please,
>       I very "green" in linux, being a DOS/WINDOWS believer for a long
> time... my SMC1211tx PCI nic card does not work. I've downloaded the
source
> from smc for this nic card, but I do not know how to make it all work.

> Can you please HELP thanks a mil...
> John Nunez

1. RH 5.2 & SMC 1211TX PCI Ethernet Card

Hello:

Linux newbie here....installing a network is...interesting...

My problem: I'm using a SMC  1211TX Plug and Play PCI card and couldn't get
it to work with any of the SMC drivers available in the RH  5.2
installation.  Any recommendations?  From reading this news group I'm aware
that most cards support the NE2000 spec in some form or another but am
unaware of how to begin and the idea of recompiling the kernel is not too
appealing to a Linux newbie. (*Really New - I consider myself almost and
expert in NT and I feen  I haven't even begun to harness the potential of
Linux.)

Thanks in advance.

2. Help for installation with 4 MB memory

3. SMC 1211TX EzCard PCI ethernet in linux

4. Problem to port/jdk13

5. SMC 1211TX PCI ethernet in linux

6. 7.3 installation keybord/mouse/ monitor not functioning

7. SMC EtherEZ 1211TX card

8. freebsd error

9. can't get 8139too to work with SMC 1211TX

10. Driver for SMC-1211TX EZ Card?

11. Driver for SMC 1211TX FastEthernet card

12. Getting a SMC EZ card PCI 10 to work in RedHat6.0 Linux