USB Smartmedia Reader (Flashlink by SimpleTechnology) on Kernel 2.1.18 ?????

USB Smartmedia Reader (Flashlink by SimpleTechnology) on Kernel 2.1.18 ?????

Post by 197 » Sat, 22 Sep 2001 19:54:55

I was wondering if anyone has managed to use this device on their
linux box w/ kernel 2.1.18...

I managed to get the UHCI USB working on my linux RH6.2. Using the
tool, USBVIEW, the device is detected alright, but I have been unable
to mount it successfully.

From my understanding and the knowledge from http://www.linux-org.com
, the device should be considered as Mass Storage Device. It is also
listed as "07c4 a003". So, I followed the step in the document.
However, "/proc/scsi/scsi" reports that no any device is detected.
Also, if I try to mount the device, it says "The kernel does not
recognize /dev/sda as block device. (maybe 'insmod driver'?)". I did,
"/usr/src/linux/./make xconfig" to make sure that SCSI Support is
turned on. What am I missing here?

Post by John Thompso » Sun, 23 Sep 2001 02:32:54

> I was wondering if anyone has managed to use this device on their
> linux box w/ kernel 2.1.18...

> I managed to get the UHCI USB working on my linux RH6.2. Using the
> tool, USBVIEW, the device is detected alright, but I have been unable
> to mount it successfully.

> From my understanding and the knowledge from http://www.linux-org.com
> , the device should be considered as Mass Storage Device. It is also
> listed as "07c4 a003". So, I followed the step in the document.
> However, "/proc/scsi/scsi" reports that no any device is detected.
> Also, if I try to mount the device, it says "The kernel does not
> recognize /dev/sda as block device. (maybe 'insmod driver'?)". I did,
> "/usr/src/linux/./make xconfig" to make sure that SCSI Support is
> turned on. What am I missing here?

USB mass-storage devices are not supported under the v2.2.x
kernel.  Update to the 2.4.x series and you should have better
luck.

--

Post by Marcus Laue » Sun, 23 Sep 2001 14:21:17

> I was wondering if anyone has managed to use this device on their
> linux box w/ kernel 2.1.18...

        You mean 2.2.18, right?

Quote:> I managed to get the UHCI USB working on my linux RH6.2. Using the
> tool, USBVIEW, the device is detected alright, but I have been unable
> to mount it successfully.

> From my understanding and the knowledge from http://www.linux-org.com
> , the device should be considered as Mass Storage Device. It is also
> listed as "07c4 a003". So, I followed the step in the document.
> However, "/proc/scsi/scsi" reports that no any device is detected.
> Also, if I try to mount the device, it says "The kernel does not
> recognize /dev/sda as block device. (maybe 'insmod driver'?)". I did,
> "/usr/src/linux/./make xconfig" to make sure that SCSI Support is
> turned on. What am I missing here?

        I don't know about this particular device, but for the USB Smartmedia
Reader I use (a Microtech ZiO) there's a page here:

http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~hjew/zio/

with instructions.  Perhaps they'll work for you?  Basically, load your SCSI
modules (modprobe scsi; modprobe sd_mod) then the USB modules (modprobe
usbcore; modprobe usb-uhci or modprobe usb-ohci) then the storage module
(modprobe usb-storage).  Then try mounting /dev/sda1.

                                                            Marcus

USB Smartmedia Reader (Flashlink by SimpleTechnology) on Kernel 2.1.18 ?????

Post by 197 » Mon, 24 Sep 2001 06:20:26

I carefully followed the instrctions, but it didn't work un 2.2.18.
So, I finally raised my heavy *and decided to rebuild the kernel
into 2.4.9.

Here is the problem I have...

If I set USB SUPPORT to M (module), UHCI as Module stops working. If I
set USB SUPPORT to * (Kernel), UHCI as Module works.

But according to the URL that was given below,
http://www.veryComputer.com/~hjew/zio/ ,
USB SUPPORT needs to be M (module), so that it can be
/sbin/insmod   /lib/modules/2.4.0/kernel/drivers/usb/usbcore.o

Otherwise, there is no usbcore.o

I also tried this.

USB SUPPORT = M
UHCI = M
MassStorage = M
Scanblah Smartmedia = M
Microtech Smartmedia = M

All set to M. Although when boot up, in the Interactive Message
reports that UHCI [FAILED], i can do insmod without any error being
reported... Yet, no device attached /proc/scsi/scsi

This is very time-consuming... Has anyone posted any info about my
SimpleTechnology's Flashlink  Smaremedia reader??? It'll be very
helpful, and if I can get it work, I'll make a FAQ, too...

Post by Marcus Laue » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 04:32:29

> But according to the URL that was given below,
> http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~hjew/zio/ ,
> USB SUPPORT needs to be M (module), so that it can be
> /sbin/insmod   /lib/modules/2.4.0/kernel/drivers/usb/usbcore.o

        Sorry it didn't work for you.  If you're willing to try one more
thing...  I've compiled by USB support into the kernel (version 2.4.9), and
it still works fine for me.  SCSI support is still as modules.

        Good luck.  I really haven't seen anything about that smartmedia
reader on this newsgroup, so that's the best info I can give you.

                                                            Marcus

USB Smartmedia Reader (Flashlink by SimpleTechnology) on Kernel 2.1.18 ?????

Post by 197 » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 00:32:29

Do you know any device to read Smartmedia memory, that works under
LINUX? In the past, I've had that Floppy-Adaptor by Fujifilm. They do
have driver for LINUX, but it didn't seem to work for me...

Post by Marcus Laue » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 11:46:33

> Do you know any device to read Smartmedia memory, that works under
> LINUX? In the past, I've had that Floppy-Adaptor by Fujifilm. They do
> have driver for LINUX, but it didn't seem to work for me...

        I'm using the Microtech ZiO, and it works just fine.  It uses the
SanDisk SDDR-09 driver, so I assume SanDisk's SDDR-09 works as well :)

                                                            Marcus

USB Smartmedia Reader (Flashlink by SimpleTechnology) on Kernel 2.1.18 ?????

Post by 197 » Fri, 28 Sep 2001 22:03:10

Thanks for the follow-up in the thread, Marcus :) I really appreciate
yoru help.

Do you konw if the SanDisk's SDDR-09 work on Kernl2.2.18 also? I am
decided to go back to 2.2.18 from 2.4.9... I will wait until my
distribution releases an RPM for kernel upgrade, since it requires
more efforts and time to complete with tarball.

The some method to read the smartmedia, is the last step to completely
remove Windows! (It's for Olympus D200L Digital Camera, but I lost the
serial cable. And the serial cable kit costs $29, almost as same as a
USB reader nowadays.)

By the way, here is what I tried to get my usb reader:
KERNEL2.1.18

#1, enable usbmgr[M], usb-mass-storage suppoort [M], scsi-support[*]...
      etc... (everything that needs to be enabled according to usb-linux.org)

#2, VendorID/ProductID: 0x7c4/0xa003 (checked from /var/log/message)
      (<- it's different from usb-linux.org posted as FlashLink...maybe, my model
             is not supported?)

#3, added the line in /etc/usbmgr/usbmgr.conf
      vendor 0x7c4 product 0xa003  module scsi_mod , sd_mod , usb-storage

#4, mkdir /etc/usbmgr/vendor/7c4

#5, mkdir /etc/usbmgr/vendor/7c4/a003

#6, vi /etc/usbmgr/vendor/7c4/a003/module
     scsi_mod
     usb_mod
     usb-storage
     (added three lines above)
I know that the step#4~#5 can be automated by
   /sbin/update_usbdb /etc/usbmgr/usbmgr.conf
but, I needed to confirm.

cat "/proc/scsi/scsi" tells me "no device attached"

I am not brave enough to unscrew the device to open up the case,
then find out the chip maker, etc...

Post by Marcus Laue » Sat, 29 Sep 2001 13:02:26

> Thanks for the follow-up in the thread, Marcus :) I really appreciate
> yoru help.

> Do you konw if the SanDisk's SDDR-09 work on Kernl2.2.18 also? I am
> decided to go back to 2.2.18 from 2.4.9... I will wait until my
> distribution releases an RPM for kernel upgrade, since it requires
> more efforts and time to complete with tarball.

        I honestly have no idea.  I would guess not, though, and here's why.
The SDDR-09 code is still pretty new.  As of 2.4.9, I don't think it's even
enabled by default in the Linus series of kernels.  Like that page I
mentioned (the one about the ZiO) said, you have to add a line to a config
file to be allowed to build the SDDR-09 drivers.  Or you have to use one of
the Alan Cox kernels (the -ac series).  If the code is that new, it probably
isn't included in the backport to 2.2.  But I'm not really sure.

                                                            Marcus

USB Smartmedia Reader (Flashlink by SimpleTechnology) on Kernel 2.1.18 ?????

Post by 197 » Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:37:39

New thing is discovered!!! Well, it was new to me, at least...

I learned how to find out whether or not a USB reader work in Linux.

If the device gets recognized as storage device without any driver
installed in Windows, it is most likely that it can be used as
a USB Mass Storage in Linux. Thus, Happy Life.

Vice versa, if the device cannot be recognized without some driver installed
in Windows,  it is very likely that it cannot be used/operated in Linux. Thus,
Unlucky Life.

The FlashLink by SimpleTechnology requires a driver, in order to read/write
data in Windows.
Obviously, there are other USB Readers out there, that do not require any
driver to be installed.

I just thought I should drop this note in the Newsgroup, in case that there may
be some others who are seeking for some clue on this USB Reader issue,
like I have been.

1. 2.1.18 kernel - broken modules ?

Hi everybody,

Just compiled 2.1.18. Got all bunch of:

Creating module dependencies
*** Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.1.18/fs/binfmt_aout.o
*** Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.1.18/fs/fat.o
*** Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.1.18/fs/isofs.o
*** Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.1.18/fs/vfat.o
*** Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.1.18/misc/serial.o
*** Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.1.18/net/bsd_comp.o
*** Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.1.18/net/dummy.o
*** Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.1.18/net/ppp.o
*** Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.1.18/net/slhc.o
*** Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.1.18/block/floppy.o
*** Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.1.18/block/ide-cd.o
*** Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.1.18/cdrom/cdrom.o

Are modules broken again?

Regards
Greg Sawicki

2. Help: How to make Sol2.3 run backup during reboot to remote tape drive

3. Can't compile 2.1.18

4. INIT: PANIC: segmentation violation! giving up..

5. Module weirdness and compile problems in 2.1.18+

6. S3 ViRGE GX/2 and XFree86 - XF86Config

7. USB smartmedia readers

8. DOS PARTITION: AIC7XXX TARGET PROBLEM, PLEASE HELP!

9. USB SmartMedia Card Reader

10. Uno SmartMedia USB card reader: plugged in but SCSI device does not appear.

11. Zio USB Smartmedia reader and Archos 20gig jukebox

12. unable to mount usb smartmedia card reader

13. Sandisk USB CF reader and 2.4.18; usb-storage bug?