Day light Savings time

Post by Matthew Haycraf » Mon, 27 Oct 1997 03:00:00

Sorry if this is the wrong group.. (which one is the right one??)

What's a easy way to automatically switch between daylight savings time
and
normal time.

I would like to set up a cron job & line to add the /etc/rc.d/rc.S
which would handle this for me..

any one done this? could you share what you did?
thanks :)
--
.-.-..--._|_ _|_  AND SOMETIMES I THINK THAT WE ARE ALL BALLOONS WITH
| | |.--| |   |   LONG STRINGS SEARCHING FOR SOMETHING TO TIE ON TO.
|   ||__| |   |   http://umbc.edu/~matthew    quote by:terrell neuage

Day light Savings time

Post by Bjarne Nygaar » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Sorry if this is the wrong group.. (which one is the right one??)

> What's a easy way to automatically switch between daylight savings time
> and normal time.

> I would like to set up a cron job & line to add the /etc/rc.d/rc.S
> which would handle this for me..

> any one done this? could you share what you did?
> thanks :)

I use my ISP's timeserver. :)
As I connect I let a program from the xntp package talk to the server:

'ntpdate -s <servername>'

This sets my local machine time (if time diff is not too big).
That was as written in the manual and this is now confirmed :(
I called another time and time was set as it should.
But I will have to work how to handle 1 hour diffs.

Quote:> --
> .-.-..--._|_ _|_  AND SOMETIMES I THINK THAT WE ARE ALL BALLOONS WITH
> |   ||__| |   |   http://umbc.edu/~matthew    quote by:terrell neuage

cu

|          ---this space is not intentionally left blank---            |

Day light Savings time

Post by Christopher B. Brow » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Sorry if this is the wrong group.. (which one is the right one??)

>What's a easy way to automatically switch between daylight savings time
>and
>normal time.

>I would like to set up a cron job & line to add the /etc/rc.d/rc.S
>which would handle this for me..

>any one done this? could you share what you did?
>thanks :)

Hmmm...

I woke up this morning, and found that it had happened automatically.

I can't verify at what time "CDT" changed over to "CST," but I rather
suspect that it was at 2am CST...
--

PGP Fingerprint: 10 5A 20 3C 39 5A D3 12  D9 54 26 22 FF 1F E9 16
Bill Gates to his broker: "You idiot, I said $150 million on **SNAPPLE**!!!"

Day light Savings time

Post by Pat Thoyt » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Sorry if this is the wrong group.. (which one is the right one??)

> What's a easy way to automatically switch between daylight savings time
> and
> normal time.

> I would like to set up a cron job & line to add the /etc/rc.d/rc.S
> which would handle this for me..

> any one done this? could you share what you did?
> thanks :)

If your timezone is set correctly it should be handled automatically.
Mine just did it for me this morning. The timezone used with Redhat is
a file /etc/localtime which is in fact a link:

% file /etc/localtime
/etc/localtime: symbolic link to ../usr/lib/zoneinfo/GB

The other method is to setenv TZ "GB"  or whatever your timezone is
called. For UK users, if you use GMT then it ignores summer time.

--
Pat Thoyts                      Remove anti-spam from address to reply.
       PGP fingerprint 2C 6E 98 07 2C 59 C8 97  10 CE 11 E6 04 E0 B9 DD

Day light Savings time

Post by Boris Tobotra » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>>>>> "Matthew" == Matthew Haycraft writes:

Matthew> Sorry if this is the wrong group.. (which one is the right one??)
Matthew> What's a easy way to automatically switch between daylight savings
Matthew> time and normal time.

Matthew> I would like to set up a cron job & line to add the /etc/rc.d/rc.S
Matthew> which would handle this for me..

Matthew> any one done this? could you share what you did?

        man zic.
--
        Best regards, -- Boris.

Day light Savings time

Post by James Youngma » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

  Matthew> Sorry if this is the wrong group.. (which one is the right
  Matthew> one??)  What's a easy way to automatically switch between
  Matthew> daylight savings time and normal time.

  Matthew> I would like to set up a cron job & line to add the
  Matthew> /etc/rc.d/rc.S which would handle this for me..

Keey the CMOS clock on GMT.   Set the /etc/localtime link correctly.
Then everything takes care of itself.  You can do these tasks either
from the Red Hat control-panel or from the command line.

If you don't know whether or not the CMOS clock is using GMT, just do
"clock -u -w".  That sets the CMOS clock to what the kernel currently
thinks is GMT.  This doesn't work under Linux/Alpha, though.  I
believe you need to use "setclock" on that platform.

Day light Savings time

Post by s. keeli » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>   Matthew> Sorry if this is the wrong group.. (which one is the right
>   Matthew> one??)  What's a easy way to automatically switch between
>   Matthew> daylight savings time and normal time.

[snip]
> If you don't know whether or not the CMOS clock is using GMT, just do
> "clock -u -w".  That sets the CMOS clock to what the kernel currently

Is there some weird combination of switches going on here?  This is
not what works for me.

I do:

Get today's date, as a template.
Set system time to correct "now" local time.
Have system calculate UTC time for you.
Set system time to "now" UTC time.
Write it to hardware clock.
Upshot: came up with the correct time 27Oct97 ("Fall back").

Before you begin, clock -r should return the correct UTC (not local)
time. /etc/adjtime is set to "0.0 0 0.0". System time is set by
(paraphrased):

 i)    tmp=$(date)                # ie., MST

 ii)   date -s "${corrected_tmp}" # also MST

 iii)  date -u                    # to get utc template

 iv)   date -us "$(date)"         # set system to utc

 v)    clock -w                   # NOT -uw !!

Why not -uw?

--

                  Contract Programmer; inquire within.

       zcat /usr/doc/timezone/Introduction.gz |*ney | less

1. Daylight Savings time, system time, hardware time....

I am sure that this has been rehashed a bunch of times, but I can't seem
to get it through my thick  skull...

I have a RedHat 6.0 system, 2.2.13 kernel.  I need to configure the darn
thing to keep the right time.  I can't seem to correctly configure the
hardware clock so that it correctly deals with DST.

I tried setting it to UTC using RedHat's tools, but it had no effect.
The time zone information must be correct, since the calendar displays
EDT, but the hardware clock and the system clock are now exactly
backwards.....  The hardware clock is one hour ahead of the system
clock.

Wed Apr 19 13:48:25 EDT 2000
Wed Apr 19 14:48:26 2000  -0.940635 seconds

What files do I need to change (by hand, not through possibly broken GUI
tools) to make this right?

Thanks,

--Yan
--

Think different
        ride a recumbent

2. Irix vs solaris

3. Exact time for Daylight Savings Time change

4. 2.5.5-dj2, add 1 help text to drivers/telephony/Config.help

5. Day Light Saving

6. Need Help Compiling Kernel on one system for use on another

7. X Server Time is REAL time of day???

8. Malaysian Linux Website

9. lilo must not live to see the light of day

10. Day Light Saving

11. Olympic Daylight Savings Time...

12. daylight savings time?

13. Linux Time setup - Daylight savings