Installer does not detect video card (not an X issue)

Installer does not detect video card (not an X issue)

Post by Phony Accoun » Fri, 04 Feb 2005 09:52:39

Hi,

I am installing Fedora Core 3 on a Dell Precision 330.
Video card is a Diamond Fire GL2 with a rather old BIOS.

(The PC was rebooted with the distribution CD, and I was prompted for
the type of installation.  However, no partitioning yet, language
selection, ...)

So, just before the actual installation, I see a message that the video
card was not detected (the monitor, kbd and mouse are) and that the
installation is going ``headless''.  It then proceeds without incident
to partition, install packages.

When the system reboots for the first time (this is when I'll set up the
users, etc), I briefly see a Fedora splash screen, then the usual kernel
boot messages, and _then_ the screen goes wild: on a blue background
reddish diagonal stripes march across the screen.

I am not in X at that point.  X has not been configured yet.  I can
ctrl-alt-del to reboot.  But ctrl-alt-backspace, ctrl-alt-F2 don't work.

I tried booting to run-level three to go to a text mode only by
specifying init 3 at the end of the boot kernel command.  The os loader
is GRUB.  But the same thing happened again.

Not knowing a thing about hardware, (and just slightly more about Linux)
I am wondering if the video card bios is too old and cannot respond to
the probing by the installer.

Also, according to the same * theory, during the boot process,
the video card gets wierd signals because its bios is out of date and
throws garbage to the monitor.

And it is not a  monitor issue.  I have tried two.

But I seriously hope that it will not come to installing a new bios,
because I currently don't have a usable system, and using the rescue
mode from the install media to reach across the network to grab the
drivers which I downloaded to a windows machine seems like a great
project for my retirement.  Right now, I need a working machine.

Thanks for any suggestion,

Mirko

Installer does not detect video card (not an X issue)

Post by Trent Buc » Fri, 04 Feb 2005 16:20:13

Up spake Phony Account:

Quote:> I tried booting to run-level three to go to a text mode only by
> specifying init 3 at the end of the boot kernel command.  The os loader
> is GRUB.  But the same thing happened again.

Try adding "vga=normal" or "vga=ask" to the kernel boot parameters.

FC probably defaults to framebuffer consoles, which require VESA or
whatever drivers.  Adding vga=normal will use 80x25 text-mode for the
console.

Quote:> Not knowing a thing about hardware, (and just slightly more about Linux)
> I am wondering if the video card bios is too old and cannot respond to
> the probing by the installer.

A laptop I had mis-reported its capabilities, so Linux tried to run with
vga=790 (1024x768) on an 800x600 screen.  The result was black display
until X started.

--
-trent
Turn off your targeting computer, Luke.  ASS.  AHS.  You have a better

Post by Phony Accoun » Fri, 04 Feb 2005 21:18:03

> Up spake Phony Account:

>>I tried booting to run-level three to go to a text mode only by
>>specifying init 3 at the end of the boot kernel command.  The os loader
>>is GRUB.  But the same thing happened again.

> Try adding "vga=normal" or "vga=ask" to the kernel boot parameters.

> FC probably defaults to framebuffer consoles, which require VESA or
> whatever drivers.  Adding vga=normal will use 80x25 text-mode for the
> console.

>>Not knowing a thing about hardware, (and just slightly more about Linux)
>>I am wondering if the video card bios is too old and cannot respond to
>>the probing by the installer.

> A laptop I had mis-reported its capabilities, so Linux tried to run with
> vga=790 (1024x768) on an 800x600 screen.  The result was black display
> until X started.

Will try it Trent.

Thanks,

Mirko

Post by Phony Accoun » Sat, 05 Feb 2005 11:50:10

>> Up spake Phony Account:

>>> I tried booting to run-level three to go to a text mode only by
>>> specifying init 3 at the end of the boot kernel command.  The os
>>> loader is GRUB.  But the same thing happened again.

>> Try adding "vga=normal" or "vga=ask" to the kernel boot parameters.

>> FC probably defaults to framebuffer consoles, which require VESA or
>> whatever drivers.  Adding vga=normal will use 80x25 text-mode for the
>> console.

>>> Not knowing a thing about hardware, (and just slightly more about
>>> Linux) I am wondering if the video card bios is too old and cannot
>>> respond to the probing by the installer.

>> A laptop I had mis-reported its capabilities, so Linux tried to run with
>> vga=790 (1024x768) on an 800x600 screen.  The result was black display
>> until X started.

> Will try it Trent.

> Thanks,

> Mirko

vga=normal did not do the trick.  Switching to a different card did.
Everything went super-smoothly.

Thanks

Mirko

Post by Ivan Mars » Wed, 30 Mar 2005 06:24:53

> When the system reboots for the first time (this is when I'll set up the
> users, etc), I briefly see a Fedora splash screen, then the usual kernel
> boot messages, and _then_ the screen goes wild: on a blue background
> reddish diagonal stripes march across the screen.

> I am not in X at that point.  X has not been configured yet.  I can
> ctrl-alt-del to reboot.  But ctrl-alt-backspace, ctrl-alt-F2 don't work.

> I tried booting to run-level three to go to a text mode only by
> specifying init 3 at the end of the boot kernel command.  The os loader
> is GRUB.  But the same thing happened again.

Yes, you are running X at that point, I'd guess. Log in single user and
take rhgb (redhat graphic boot) off of the grub line that's booting your
system, for a purely text based boot. Then you can fix the X config from
there.

--
Life is short, but wide. -KV

1. help: not detecting network card, can't find 3c509b at boot time (not P&P )

Two more ideas to try:
(Remember: Working under DOS is no guarantee that no IRQ/port conflicts
exist.)
1) In the BIOS PCI setup disable the IRQ for all PCI slots except the one
with the adaptec SCSI controller (set IRQ to N/A). The graphics card
won't need an IRQ line afaik.

2) try a few more io ports, i.e: 300, 310, 320, 330, 340,...
2a) try the new 3com509 driver together with hardware configuration
utility running under Linux. See
  http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/
3) Remove CD-ROM and SoundBlaster and try again.

Nils

2. access by redirection only

3. Video Card Not Detected

4. ghostscript - Howto batch quit?

5. SiS SG86C201 Video card with Redhat 5.1: Not recognizing Video memory

6. majordomo user interface

7. RedHat 5.2 - How do I install a net card if not in installer?

8. Aggg where I find a 3.3.1 Xserver ???

9. SCSI cdom: device not detected and iso9660 not supported?

10. CDROM not Detected..well of course not..Help

11. RAM Not properly detected - Linux/DOS

12. Video memory not detected properly

13. Help wanted, dos harddrive not detected