hardware recommendation needed

Post by groups.20... » Fri, 04 Nov 2005 05:41:07

Does anyone know of a video capture hardware that you can make dvds
without having to do a software re-encoding on the captured video? I
have a plextor convertx that works with Linux but the video files it
produces are called video elementary streams and I haven't found
anything that can work with them unless it involves a cpu and time
intensive software re-encoding.

Perhaps the Hauppage PVR-250/350 could do it but I'd like to know for
sure by someone that has done it.

Software re-encoding takes too long to be a viable option for me.

hardware recommendation needed

Post by Dances With Crow » Fri, 04 Nov 2005 06:04:39

Black Sun and said:

Quote:> Does anyone know of a video capture [card] that [allows] you [to] make
> dvds without having to do a software re-encoding on the captured
> video?

DVDs are in MPEG-2, so anything that produces MPEG-2 should work just
fine.

Actually, I'm curious as to how you manage to make DVDs.  dvdauthor
works, but it requires that you generate an XML file for it, which isn't
a very user-friendly thing to do.  The latest Gentoo ebuild for
qdvdauthor (GUI frontend for dvdauthor) is still beta.  I don't need
this capability right now, but a friend of mine asked me about Linux
DVD creation last month, and I didn't have a good answer for him.

Quote:> Perhaps the Hauppage PVR-250/350 could do it but I'd like to know for
> sure by someone that has done it.

this Message-ID" box on http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
and press "lookup message" for at least one positive report.  The URL
there is very handy for searching Usenet for various keywords, too, so
check Comp.os.linux.* for appropriate keywords first when you have a
question about something.  It might save you time and stuff.

Quote:> Software re-encoding takes too long to be a viable option for me.

Are you encoding a metric arseload of video, or do you have a really old
machine?  The message referenced above recommends a PIII-733 or greater
for the PVR-350, so if you've got a really old machine, you'll want to
upgrade it anyway.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
http://www.brainbench.com     /    "He is a rhythmic movement of the
-----------------------------/      penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

hardware recommendation needed

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Fri, 04 Nov 2005 06:29:55

Quote:> Actually, I'm curious as to how you manage to make DVDs.  dvdauthor
> works, but it requires that you generate an XML file for it, which isn't
> a very user-friendly thing to do.

One easy way to create video dvds are to use mkdvd:

http://fredrik.hubbe.net/hacks/mkdvd.html

It is a command line program which I usually use something like this:

mkdvd --iso --pal file.avi

The above command gives me a file called dvd.iso which I burn with:

growisofs -Z /dev/scd0=dvd.iso

Those commands are user-friendly enough for me. The created dvd will not
have any menu so it will start playing the movie in the avi directly. It
is also possible for mkdvd to create some simple menus where the menu
choices will take their strings from the file names of the .avi-files.

regards Henrik
hc7(at)uthyres.com Examples of addresses which go to spammers:

hardware recommendation needed

Post by Trevor Hemsle » Fri, 04 Nov 2005 07:54:37

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 20:41:07 UTC in comp.os.linux.hardware,

> Software re-encoding takes too long to be a viable option for me.

Have you tried ProjectX. It handles ES->PS streams at about 5 minutes for an
hour or two of video, Java based and confusing interface but seems to work for
me.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

hardware recommendation needed

Post by groups.20... » Fri, 04 Nov 2005 08:40:35

actually, projectX is the only tool I have not yet tried. Thanks for
mentioning it, I had forgotten the name. It will probably be my last
hope using the Plextor ConvertX.

1. High performance server - Hardware recommendation needed

Hi,

I looking for hardware recommendation for a Linux server which I want to
be installed in our site.

1) Money is not an issue.  (ok, it is, but not a major one)
2) Running SMB (Samba) as fast as spring 1998's hardware may (file
server - that it's main goal).
3) Running other services (DHCP, fax server, etc.).
4) Intel based server preferred.

Best regards,

Uri

P.S. I already looked at HP' LC3 server. Any recommendations? Warnings?

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

2. Where get sendmail 8.8.x for solaris x86 2.6 ?

3. Building Linux Box from Scratch - Hardware Recommendations Needed

4. NIS+ API question/request

5. recommendation on hardware recommendation

6. sound card woes

7. Need: ISP News Server(INN) Hardware Recommendations

8. .plan

9. need hardware recommendation for a linux system

10. Request Recommendation on Hardware Needs

11. Need Hardware Recommendation

12. need to learn hardware troubleshooting - sound hardware conflict

13. Need advice on new Linux/*BSD-compatible hardware (and Linux Hardware Database is gone)