Newbie Question on UPS setups

Post by Eastma » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 09:32:01

SInce it seems to be disasterous to simply off the power on Linux (power
outage etc.) How do you guys configure a UPS to protect your shut down?

I know on a simple NT Server with an APC Smart UPS (w/serial connection)
there is Power Chute software to close down the system.

Is that easily done on the Linux platform in case I am at work and the
machine is on (or I have a power outage)??

tje

Newbie Question on UPS setups

Post by Dances With Cro » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 10:05:27

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002 00:32:01 GMT, Eastman staggered into the Black Sun
and said:

Quote:> SInce it seems to be disasterous to simply off the power on Linux
> (power outage etc.) How do you guys configure a UPS to protect your
> shut down?  I know on a simple NT Server with an APC Smart UPS
> (w/serial connection) there is Power Chute software to close down the
> system.

> Is that easily done on the Linux platform in case I am at work and the
> machine is on (or I have a power outage)??

First, you should use a journaling filesystem like ReiserFS or ext3 or
XFS.  This will not protect you *totally* when there's a power failure,
but it will certainly decrease fsck time and make it much less likely
that any unfixable filesystem problems will occur.

Second, you should read the UPS HOWTO available at
   file:/usr/share/doc/howto/en/html/UPS-HOWTO.html or
   http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/UPS-HOWTO.html
since that will answer your other questions about UPSes.

Basically, you connect a cable from the UPS to the machine's serial
port.  Then you start upsd or powerd, which monitor the serial port you
specify.  If the daemon notices a power failure, then it sends a signal
to init, which looks in /etc/inittab for the "powerfail" entry and
executes whatever it finds there.  Typically this is something like
"shutdown in 5 minutes."

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

Post by Eric P. McC » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 11:56:45

> SInce it seems to be disasterous to simply off the power on Linux (power
> outage etc.) How do you guys configure a UPS to protect your shut down?

It is dangerous on any write-caching operating system, to a certain
extent.  It is extremely dangerous on simply-asynchronous file
systems, like FAT (and its derivatives), HPFS, and E2FS (which Linux
uses by default).

A cheap alternative for you may be to switch to a journaled file
system.  Since you are probably using E2FS right now, the easiest
route is to convert to E3FS (I understand it's a non-destructive
operation).  Journaled file systems usually prevent the sort of
filesystem inconsistency you are seeing.

Quote:> I know on a simple NT Server with an APC Smart UPS (w/serial connection)
> there is Power Chute software to close down the system.

There is for Linux, too; see APC's web site.

There are also open source versions available, although they
apparently aren't quite as featureful as APC's version.

Quote:> Is that easily done on the Linux platform in case I am at work and the
> machine is on (or I have a power outage)??

Yes.  And it's easier to do certain things, like inform multiple
computers over the network of the outage (which is useful if you have
one big UPS serving two or more computers).  I don't believe the
Windows software you get for free with the UPS will do any of that.

--

"I woke up this morning and realized what the game needed: pirates,
pimps, and gay furries."  - Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka

Post by John Thompso » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 09:38:19

> SInce it seems to be disasterous to simply off the power on Linux (power
> outage etc.) How do you guys configure a UPS to protect your shut down?

> I know on a simple NT Server with an APC Smart UPS (w/serial connection)
> there is Power Chute software to close down the system.

> Is that easily done on the Linux platform in case I am at work and the
> machine is on (or I have a power outage)??

APC has a PowerChute package for linux on their web site.

--

Post by Skylar Thompso » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 12:47:50

>> SInce it seems to be disasterous to simply off the power on Linux (power
>> outage etc.) How do you guys configure a UPS to protect your shut down?

>> I know on a simple NT Server with an APC Smart UPS (w/serial connection)
>> there is Power Chute software to close down the system.

>> Is that easily done on the Linux platform in case I am at work and the
>> machine is on (or I have a power outage)??

> APC has a PowerChute package for linux on their web site.

I never had much luck with it on my UPS. It appeared to connect to the UPS
fine, but pushing the test button/pulling the power always made the UPS
shut itself off immediately, rendering it rather useless. Oh well.

--

Post by Chris Elvidg » Tue, 22 Jan 2002 21:07:46

> SInce it seems to be disasterous to simply off the power on Linux (power
> outage etc.) How do you guys configure a UPS to protect your shut down?

> I know on a simple NT Server with an APC Smart UPS (w/serial connection)
> there is Power Chute software to close down the system.

> Is that easily done on the Linux platform in case I am at work and the
> machine is on (or I have a power outage)??

> tje

google for apcupsd

--
Chris Elvidge

Post by David Lesh » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 12:50:47

>> APC has a PowerChute package for linux on their web site.
>I never had much luck with it on my UPS. It appeared to connect to the UPS
>fine, but pushing the test button/pulling the power always made the UPS
>shut itself off immediately, rendering it rather useless. Oh well.

I was on the original beta test team; it worked (& works) fine
for me. There are now open-source alternatives.

Post by Terry Hutchinso » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 21:55:40

>>> APC has a PowerChute package for linux on their web site.

>>I never had much luck with it on my UPS. It appeared to connect to the UPS
>>fine, but pushing the test button/pulling the power always made the UPS
>>shut itself off immediately, rendering it rather useless. Oh well.

> I was on the original beta test team; it worked (& works) fine
> for me. There are now open-source alternatives.

FWIW, I seem to remember that you MUST use their cable.  I once tried to
hook one up with a "modem" DB9 and got the same results you are getting.

I have never investigated the pin-outs, but they may be doing something not
quite normal to the RS-232 standard.