USB Mass Storage Device SuSE Linux

Post by Tim Chappel » Mon, 18 Feb 2002 00:10:55

Dear All,

I have a USB mass storage device digital camera, which I'd like to be able
to extract the data from. Having connected it to my Suse Linux 7.3 system I
can see the camera (with USBview) but do not seem to be able to mount the
device as a file system. Please can someone point me in the direction of an
article that describes what I want to do.

Thanks in advance,

Tim.

USB Mass Storage Device SuSE Linux

Post by Stewart hecto » Mon, 18 Feb 2002 06:06:11

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera

works for me...

And it became to pass that on the Saturday 16 Feb 2002 3:10 pm, Tim
Chappell did write as thus:

Quote:> Dear All,

> I have a USB mass storage device digital camera, which I'd like to be able
> to extract the data from. Having connected it to my Suse Linux 7.3 system
> I can see the camera (with USBview) but do not seem to be able to mount
> the device as a file system. Please can someone point me in the direction
> of an article that describes what I want to do.

> Thanks in advance,

> Tim.

USB Mass Storage Device SuSE Linux

Post by Dances With Cro » Mon, 18 Feb 2002 08:22:06

On Sat, 16 Feb 2002 21:06:11 +0000, Stewart hector staggered into the
Black Sun and said:

Please don't top-post.

Quote:> And it became to pass that on the Saturday 16 Feb 2002 3:10 pm, Tim
> Chappell did write as thus:

>> I have a USB mass storage device digital camera, which I'd like to be
>> able to extract the data from. Having connected it to my Suse Linux
>> 7.3 system I can see the camera (with USBview) but do not seem to be
>> able to mount the device as a file system. Please can someone point
>> me in the direction of an article that describes what I want to do.

> mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera
> works for me...

The OP didn't provide details about his system--he may have a real SCSI
drive, which would almost certainly be /dev/sda.  Any USB Mass Storage
device will show up to the kernel as a SCSI disk, and it will be one
letter higher than the last Real SCSI or IDE-SCSI disk connected.
Almost every USB Mass Storage device appears as though it has one
partition with a FAT32 filesystem on it.  Also remember that the mount
command must be done as root, at least until you put a line like so into
your /etc/fstab :

/dev/sdb1   /mnt/archos   vfat   noauto,user,umask=000   0   0

(This makes my USB Archos MP3 player accessible and mountable
read/writable by all users when the thing's plugged in.  I have a ZIP
disk under IDE-SCSI that's sitting on /dev/sda.)

One other thing:  If your motherboard has an UHCI chipset, make sure you
have the "usb-uhci" module loaded instead of the "uhci" module.  SuSE's
default is to use usb-uhci for these boards, but just check.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

1. USB Mass Storage Device under SuSE Linux

Dear All,

I have a USB mass storage device digital camera, which I'd like to be able
to extract the data from. Having connected it to my Suse Linux 7.3 system I
can see the camera (with USBview) but do not seem to be able to mount the
device as a file system. Please can someone point me in the direction of an
article that describes what I want to do.

Thanks in advance,

Tim.

2. VERY SIMPLE KDE QUESTION

3. USB mass storage device --> Linux crash

4. Sendmail 8.12.9 and relay-domains file questions

5. usb mass storage key (Suse 9.0 personal)

6. 6 things Linux does better the windows on the desktop

7. problem with USB mass storage device (?)

8. Tadpole AlphaBook1, anyone?

9. USB Mass Storage Device

10. USB Mass Storage devices

11. multiple USB mass storage devices successively?

12. SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices on Kernel 2.6.12 (FC4)

13. Status - USB Mass Storage Devices driver