Building a Linux 2.0 WWW Server

Post by Craig Kell » Thu, 27 Feb 1997 04:00:00

->   / /swap and /usr on a 2gb SCSI disk
->   /var on another SCSI disk to handle our httpd logs

You probably want *all* HTTP traffic on one drive and the rest of the
system (including /var) on the other drive.  That'll allow the fastest
response time to client requests, and apache (or whatever) can write to
one drive while spooling off the other.

->What is the best way to obtain the easiest to configure and latest install
->package with the latest 2.0.* kernel? I am willing to make a boat load of
->install floppies but, a CD would be best.

Either the latest Debian or RedHat 4.1 on CD.  They both have great package

security module, PAM.  Debian is more of a 'hackers' distribution (I like
it), and will install only what you need.

Good luck!
--
Craig Kelley
  "The goal of science is to build better mousetraps.  The goal of nature

Building a Linux 2.0 WWW Server

Post by Patrick J. Chic » Fri, 28 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Greetings All,

We are looking to distribute WWW and mail list tasks across two machines
at our site. The plan is to purchase a new box and install the 2.0.*
kernel.

The hardware spec we are considering is as follows:

-TYAN Tomcat III (single CPU) Motherboard w/512k cache
        (we like the idea of 8 simm slots, start w/64mb RAM)
-Pentium 100-133 (best deal)
-Adaptec 2940 SCSI Controller with the following volumes.
        / /swap and /usr on a 2gb SCSI disk
        /var on another SCSI disk to handle our httpd logs
        Nec 4x CD-Rom
-Adpatec 2940UW SCSI Controller with the following volumes
        /home and /www for all our WWW content
-Generic 3com Ether card
-Cheapest video card (we won't run X)
-Tape drive ???
        -We'd like to run the Travan Tr-3 T3000 series. Does this
        work out of the box with the latest ftape stuff? What
        transfer rates can we realize?
        -We are also considering an Excabyte 8mm drive 8500 on the
        first 2940 adapter or a Sony 4gb (native) DAT.

This machine will see a considerable amount of traffic day one with
sustained bandwidth absorbtion asymetricaly of 512kb easily during
peak hours. It needs to run 24x7 of course. It's predecessor on kernel
1.2.13 has seen uptimes surpassing 30 days.

What is the best way to obtain the easiest to configure and latest install
package with the latest 2.0.* kernel? I am willing to make a boat load of
install floppies but, a CD would be best.

Best Regards and thanks for any and all help, up front.

        http://www.off-road.com * Putting Off-Road - On-Line!

Building a Linux 2.0 WWW Server

Post by Daniel Veilla » Fri, 28 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> -Tape drive ???
>    -We'd like to run the Travan Tr-3 T3000 series. Does this
>    work out of the box with the latest ftape stuff? What
>    transfer rates can we realize?
>    -We are also considering an Excabyte 8mm drive 8500 on the
>    first 2940 adapter or a Sony 4gb (native) DAT.

  Avoid any non SCSI based tape. Floppy or IDE based tape may eat quite a
lot of CPU and degrade your server performances. From this point of view
the Exabyte seems better.

Daniel
--

Tel : +33 04 76 61 53 85    | 38330 Montbonnot        | badminton,
Fax : +33 04 76 54 76 15    | France                  | Amaya and CSS.

Building a Linux 2.0 WWW Server

Post by Simon Karpe » Fri, 28 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> We are looking to distribute WWW and mail list tasks across two machines
> at our site. The plan is to purchase a new box and install the 2.0.*
> kernel.

> The hardware spec we are considering is as follows:

> -TYAN Tomcat III (single CPU) Motherboard w/512k cache
>    (we like the idea of 8 simm slots, start w/64mb RAM)

I would strongly recommend that you use either an Asus, Abit,
Intel, or Gigabyte board. Tyan has minor stability problems,
and Supermicro has MAJOR stability problems.

Quote:> -Pentium 100-133 (best deal)

sounds good. just make sure it's a multiple of 33 to get the higher
PCI bus speed. Make sure to have plenty of RAM. It's one of the most
important things for performance, and one of the cheapest.

Quote:> -Adaptec 2940 SCSI Controller with the following volumes.

get a buslogic BT-958. It's faster, better supported, and doesn't
cost any more than the adaptec

Quote:>    / /swap and /usr on a 2gb SCSI disk
>    /var on another SCSI disk to handle our httpd logs
>    Nec 4x CD-Rom

partitioning would depend on what gets hit more (mail vs. www, etc)

Quote:> -Adpatec 2940UW SCSI Controller with the following volumes
>    /home and /www for all our WWW content

again, go for buslogic SCSI.

Quote:> -Generic 3com Ether card

DEC Tulip-based cards are better, as they put less load on the CPU
and are PCI. SMC EtherPower is a good card.

Quote:> -Cheapest video card (we won't run X)

something like a generic S3 card (trio64, 1MB RAM) is about 50 bucks.

Quote:> -Tape drive ???
>    -We'd like to run the Travan Tr-3 T3000 series. Does this
>    work out of the box with the latest ftape stuff? What

just get ftape 3.02 off somewhere that has the whole tarfile, or 2.10
both those version work fine.

Quote:>    transfer rates can we realize?
>    -We are also considering an Excabyte 8mm drive 8500 on the
>    first 2940 adapter or a Sony 4gb (native) DAT.

DAT drives are significanly faster and use less CPU than floppy tapes,
but cost a lot more.

Quote:

> This machine will see a considerable amount of traffic day one with
> sustained bandwidth absorbtion asymetricaly of 512kb easily during
> peak hours. It needs to run 24x7 of course. It's predecessor on kernel
> 1.2.13 has seen uptimes surpassing 30 days.

I can saturate a T1 with a P133 with 64MB RAM and EIDE disks (triton
bustmaster). It won't have any problem with that.

Quote:> What is the best way to obtain the easiest to configure and latest install
> package with the latest 2.0.* kernel? I am willing to make a boat load of
> install floppies but, a CD would be best.

RedHat Linux 4.1, from Redhat software, is really the best for an
easy-to-setup server. It works out of the box, and is very well put together.
Also, if you buy it from them, you get install support, a nice CD,
and a book.

--
Simon Karpen

"Down, not Across"

Post by Patrick J. Chic » Sat, 01 Mar 1997 04:00:00

:
: > -Adaptec 2940 SCSI Controller with the following volumes.
:
: get a buslogic BT-958. It's faster, better supported, and doesn't
: cost any more than the adaptec

Greetings and thanks for the initial response.

I have had no luck in obtaining availability info on the BusLogic cards.
Parseing through the latest SF Bay area Microtimes looks as if they have
dropped of the face of the earth. What's the scoop?

Thanks

PJC

Post by Dan Hug » Sat, 01 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> I have had no luck in obtaining availability info on the BusLogic cards.
> Parseing through the latest SF Bay area Microtimes looks as if they have
> dropped of the face of the earth. What's the scoop?

I was just looking into one of these as well...

I checked out http://www.netbuyer.com for a quick look at silicon valley
sources of these, and there were only the BT-948 (the narrow version of
a similar product) and "lower" listed.

My next stop is

http://www.buslogic.com/sales/sales.html

which lists some distributers... the BT-958 is on their line card (on
their web site, anyway), so hopefully it is still around...

I'm sorta too busy right now to make some calls... if you find any,
please post!

cheers
-dh

In Security

Post by Ronald S. Cho » Mon, 03 Mar 1997 04:00:00

:
: > I have had no luck in obtaining availability info on the BusLogic cards.
: > Parseing through the latest SF Bay area Microtimes looks as if they have
: > dropped of the face of the earth. What's the scoop?
:
: I was just looking into one of these as well...
: I'm sorta too busy right now to make some calls... if you find any,
: please post!

i just checked www.pricewatch.com.  if you type "mylex" into the
hardware search text box, you'll get where you want.  (seems like
mylex is the parent of buslogic??)

the prices and vendors i just got for the kt-958 are as follows:

   $241 ComputerQuick   (415)861-8330
   $249 Peripherals USA (888)447-2872
   $269 CompSource      (800)413-7361

/r/

 ___    ___

 | | \/ | |   Computational models of multi-task acquisition and performance
 | |\  /| |   http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/rchong/
[___]\/[___]  Drive Happy...

try http://www.tdl.com/~netex

Post by G-ma » Tue, 04 Mar 1997 04:00:00

NCA carries those cards and try http://www.tdl.com/~netex
--

http://www.infinex.com/~gman                   Keeper of       Bay Area
                                                B.A.S.P:        Shell

Building a Linux 2.0 WWW Server

Post by Juergen Saue » Tue, 04 Mar 1997 04:00:00

am 27 Feb 1997 08:15:11 GMT in comp.os.linux.hardware:

Quote:> -Tape drive ???
>    -We'd like to run the Travan Tr-3 T3000 series. Does this
>    work out of the box with the latest ftape stuff? What
>    transfer rates can we realize?
>    -We are also considering an Excabyte 8mm drive 8500 on the
>    first 2940 adapter or a Sony 4gb (native) DAT.

DV>   Avoid any non SCSI based tape. Floppy or IDE based tape may eat quite a
DV> lot of CPU and degrade your server performances. From this point of view
DV> the Exabyte seems better.

You forgot:
The perfomance is the minor problem of Floppy tapes. The ugliest
problem is the chaotic data security due critical timing problems,
which results troubles in Multitasking environments.
mfG
        Jojo

-Schneckenpost-SlowMail-+--------Telefon-----+---eMails-FastMail----------

28790 Schwanewede/Germany  FAX  +49 4209 5217   CI$: 100013,1564

1. Novell Netware WWW Servers versus Linux WWW Servers

Hi,
  could you please consider this posting on behalf of a colleague :

        Does any one have experience with Novell Netware  WEB servers, e.g.
        Sitebuilder ?
        Are they stable, do they properly support modern WWW facilities, such as
        CGI, SSI?
        Unless I provide my college with strong reasons in favour of a Linux
        based WWW server, they will switch to a Novell Netware based one, due to
        the lack of Unix expertise within the college.
        I will be most grateful for any advise on this matter.

        Persephoni

        Dr Persephoni Karaolani, Senior Lecturer, I.T. Department,
        Liverpool Hope University College, Woolton Road,

Thanks in advance.

                        Paul

Paul Hazlewood
Research Assisstant
I.T. Department,
Liverpool Hope University College, Woolton Road,
Liverpool L16 8ND

2. More printing problems :(

3. How to build WWW server and EMAIL server?

4. NIT -> DLPI

5. How to build WWW server and Email servers?

6. Will Sun please fix this annoying warning?

7. Will 2.0.x be a good WWW server?

8. Where to get "dbmalloc"?

9. WWW Server with SQL, Access, ODBC, OLE, and VB interfaces built in.

10. WWW page building/management apps for Linux?

11. FreeBSD Web servers (was Re: NT server vs workstation for WWW server)

12. Linux client with MS Proxy Server 2.0 on NT Server

13. LINUX 2.0/1.2.13 BUILD PROBS