Changed CPU+MoBo - Now X is streaky!

Post by Graham Burs » Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I recently changed my CPU and motherboard from DX4 to P120 but kept the
same ram etc.

Since then I get interference in the form of flashing streaks across
the screen under X, when typing and also when there's any serial
traffic (modem, mouse etc).

I haven't changed the software or any of the hardware apart from the
CPU/Mobo.

The video card is a Diamond Stealth 2001 DRAM (ARK chipset), and I am
using a cheapo 4-port serial card, and the moving the cabling appears
to make no difference.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks

Boik

p.s. There's also a 3-4mm ghosting which is there constantly which
doesn't move using xvidtune.

1. what CPUs for this mobo?

I have a spare PC and the motherboard manual for it says that it
acccepts Pentium P54C/P55C MMX CPUs, AMD K6 CPUs, Cyrix/IBM 6x86L/6x86MX
(M2) CPUs.

External clock speed is 50,55,60,66,75,83 MHz.

The socket is Socket 7 - 321 pin.

I realize this motherboard is very old, but will Pentium IIs or K6-2
CPUs work in this? I can't find plain Pentium CPUs on the market anymore
and PIIs are pretty cheap. The CPU right now is a Pentium 90 that I'd
like to replace with something a little beefier, but for not too much
money (~ $50 or so).

The motherboard is a Eurone 5571A.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. XTerminals?! Font problem in Solaris <--> SunOS interaction

3. dual cpu mobo's

4. Fast Ethernet availability

5. CPU/mobo temperature monitors?

6. installing turbolinux on Proliant 1000

7. Experience with Gigabyte K8NF-9 Mobo (Athlon 64 3200+ Venice core CPU?

8. Gcc for X84 2.4

9. How Close is the Mobo temp to the CPU temp????

10. Best CPU for Asus HX MoBo ?

11. SMP mobo + CPU

12. Upgrading mobo and cpu - should I reinstall?

13. Dual CPU on VIA mobo question