3Com Gigabit NICs (copper)

Post by Danilo Gode » Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:45:24

Hello!

I see that 3Com has three different Gigabit NICs available for copper:
- 3C996B-T
- 710024 (a more expensive NIC with memory <- is this cache?)
- 3C2000-T (a 'desktop' Giga NIC).

Which of those have Linux drivers available (with source code, not
binary-only drivers)?

  Thanks, Danilo

3Com Gigabit NICs (copper)

Post by Clemens Ladisc » Fri, 23 Jan 2004 19:55:31

> I see that 3Com has three different Gigabit NICs available for copper:
> - 3C996B-T
> - 710024 (a more expensive NIC with memory <- is this cache?)
> - 3C2000-T (a 'desktop' Giga NIC).

> Which of those have Linux drivers available (with source code, not
> binary-only drivers)?

3C996B-T: see
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=3D3EDFFC.5020700%40zianet.com

710024: not even a binary driver AFAICS

3C2000-T: this has a Marvell Yukon chipset AFAIK. In this case, the
driver is part of 2.4.23+ kernels, or available from here:
http://www.syskonnect.de/syskonnect/support/driver/htm/sk98lin.htm

HTH
Clemens

1. Gigabit Over Copper NICS

Hello All:

I'm still looking for a bit of advice on configuring a cluster of SMP nodes.
I guess I'd like to run FreeBSD on them, but I'm sensitive to hardware
costs (to maximize cluster size on my budget).

I would appreciate specific recommendations the current crop of Gigabit
over copper (1000BaseT) ethernet adapters.  I would prefer a modern
less expensive model (many are less than $200, but can FreeBSD support them?)
In particular I would like to know if FreeBSD can handle the 3CCOM 3C996-T.

It would seem that the officially supported NICS run about $300/NIC,
which seems steep (and vendors seem to be phasing out these older
officially supported models).

Thanks in advance,

Bill Maniatty

2. Micro Channel Architecture

3. trying to find, pick out gigabit Copper NIC for Red Hat Professional Workstation

4. P/N 64G2074 (32M 60ns 40 Bit ECC RS/6K)

5. patch to acenic driver for Farallon PN9100-T Gigabit Ethernet (copper)

6. Can PnP devices be used at all?

7. Options for 3Com Gigabit NIC (3C2000) Driver

8. mkbootdisk fails with RH7.1

9. 3Com partner to deliver gigabit Eehernet cabling service

10. 3COM Gigabit LOM

11. Asus P4P800 Mainboard (3com Gigabit 3c940 onboard) + SuSE 8.2 (Kernel 2.40.20)

12. Sun Gigabit 2.0 + 3COM 3900

13. 3com Gigabit 3c996 and SuSE Linux 7.3