ASUS SP3G and AMD DX4-100 ???

Post by Bjoern Baya » Sat, 04 Feb 1995 20:26:46

Hi all!

Is there a Problem with a ASUS SP3G and a AMD DX4-100? I'll try this combination
since several days, but I haven't found the correct jumper settings. The BIOS always
detects an INTEL DX2-66 and LINUX says this too (33,22 bogomips instead of 49,...!).

Does anybody know the correct jumper settings???

So long
bjoern

ASUS SP3G and AMD DX4-100 ???

Post by Christopher J. Whi » Mon, 06 Feb 1995 00:26:23

Quote:

>Hi all!

>Is there a Problem with a ASUS SP3G and a AMD DX4-100? I'll try this
>combination since several days, but I haven't found the correct jumper
>settings. The BIOS always detects an INTEL DX2-66 and LINUX says this
>too (33,22 bogomips instead of 49,...!).

>Does anybody know the correct jumper settings???

>So long
>bjoern

I just bought this board, although I have a DX2-66.  Haven't got all
the parts together yet, but here's the info I got about the jumpers
that came with my board:

CPU SL Selector: JP30-JP32 (Intel 486DX4 is SL-Enhanced CPU)

JP30 1&2
JP31 1&2
JP32 1&2

CPU Internal Clock Selector: JP33

JP33 leave open

CPU Type Selectors: JP34-JP36, JP38

JP34 2&3
JP35 1&2
JP36 2&3
JP38 leave open  (this jumpter is by itself, above the CPU)

Intel DX4 Voltage Selection: JP40

JP40 2&3 (selects 3.45 volts)

CPU External Clock Selector: JP18 & JP20
I'm not positive, but I think the DX4 uses the 33Mhz clock.

       25Mhz   33Mhz
JP18    2&3     1&2
JP20    2&3     1&2

I hope this helps.  I've still got some things to figure out before I
even try to boot mine.  Maybe you can help me.

Are you using the on board SCSI-2 controller?  If so, I know to set
the board to be a terminator (I'm not using an external SCSI devices).
But how do you terminate the other end of the chain?  I'm just using a
single SCSI hard drive.

Second, do you use the keylock feature, using the lock mounted on the
case?  I've got the lock, but it is only a two wire connection, and
anohter two wires for the power indicator.  The motherboard has a five
pin connection for both functions, so I'm not sure what to do here.

Let me know if you get it up and running.

cj white

ASUS SP3G and AMD DX4-100 ???

Post by Jes » Mon, 06 Feb 1995 09:05:27

: >
: >Hi all!
: >

: -----------------------------------------------------------------------
[...]

set it up for standard dx-33 system but instead change jp36 to 1-2 instead of
2-3..   dont forget that it wont come up in the bios msg right.. but it works
right.. also set it up as a NON-SL cpu

Jess Johnson

ASUS SP3G and AMD DX4-100 ???

Post by Frank Damgaa » Tue, 07 Feb 1995 01:06:12

Quote:>Is there a Problem with a ASUS SP3G and a AMD DX4-100? I'll try this combination
>since several days, but I haven't found the correct jumper settings. The BIOS always
>detects an INTEL DX2-66 and LINUX says this too (33,22 bogomips instead of 49,...!).
>Does anybody know the correct jumper settings???

I don't have an ASUS SP3G yet, but found following on the subject:

Datum      : Mo 16.01.95, 09:41  (erhalten: 17.01.95)

Aus <comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips>:

After a few calls to ASUSTEK in CA, here is the solution:
-Reason:The motherboard came out before the AMD 3V chips.
-Set the jumpers to the following (undocumented):
    Jumper:    Setting:
    -------    --------
      34         2&3
      35         1&2
      36         1&2
      38        open

-The BIOS now says that I have a 486DX2/100 but the guy said that
it is because the BIOS doesn't recognize AMD 3.3V chips.  A future
BIOS update will fix the problem.

--
Joerg Mueller

        University of Copenhagen / Dept. of Computer Science

ASUS SP3G and AMD DX4-100 ???

Post by pkes.. » Tue, 07 Feb 1995 01:08:27

The bios doesn't yet recocnize the amd dx4-100 signature, let's hope an updatet
bios will help.

Quote:

>Hi all!

>Is there a Problem with a ASUS SP3G and a AMD DX4-100? I'll try this combination
>since several days, but I haven't found the correct jumper settings. The BIOS always
>detects an INTEL DX2-66 and LINUX says this too (33,22 bogomips instead of 49,...!).

>Does anybody know the correct jumper settings???

>So long
>bjoern

1. Linux hates AMD DX4-100 & ASUS PVI-486 SP3?

Phil,

        I have heard from various sources about the BIOS not being able to recognise the AMD CPU. A BIOS upgrade was suggested which is available from the ASUS site in Taiwan, the name of which eludes me right now. The other point that was raised is that the AMD CPU should not be setup as a power saving CPU, so in effect tell the system that it is not a SL type CPU. Hope this helps,

Chris

2. ipamasquadm portfw?

3. Asus SP3G & AMD 486DX4-100

4. Remote Management

5. AMD DX4/100 on ASUS AP4 - does it work

6. CD-ROM , not a block device?

7. AMD DX4/120 vs. INTEL DX4/100

8. Help with ipchains and ip forwarding

9. AMD DX4-100 , HOT-433 PCI/ISA main board, can't boot

10. AMD DX4-100 will not reboot

11. How many bogomips w/AMD DX4-100

12. AMD DX4-100 will not reboot.

13. cpuinfo for AMD DX4-100