Hardware upgrade from 486

Post by William C Curtis » Sun, 23 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Ok, before I start, don't laugh. I had an old 486/33 laying around, and
having heard that Linux performance was more dependent on available memory
than CPU speed, I decided to put the board to use. The system has 64MB of
memory, a non-DMA/33 harddrive, and a local bus video card (and a gravis
ultrasound sound card, but that's another story). Anyway, the system
performs decently at the command prompt -- only heavy disk access becomes a
drag, such as doing a 'find / '. And performance as a server on my home LAN
is good, as a web server, DHCP, Samba, etc. server. KDE, however, is a drag,
so I have thought about upgrading the mother board, harddrive and video. I
already have a spare DMA/33 harddrive (the current controller doesn't
support it so I haven't installed it yet). I've been looking a some
discontinued Socket-7 boards, and can probably get a motherboard (ASUS) plus
a P/233 for less than $100. Add a cheap PCI video card for another $20 to
$30. This looks like a good speed boost for a very low price. The one thing
I've liked about the 486, though, is that the CPU doesn't need anything more
than a heatsink, and doesn't generate a lot of heat.

I already have another system as my "fast" system, so I'm just looking for a
very cheap boost. Any suggestions? Any problems with Linux on the ASUS
boards?

Thanks.

Wm.

Hardware upgrade from 486

Post by David Ackla » Wed, 26 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Better (Both cheaper and faster) config for you - use a Super7 board (FIC
VA-503+ or Tyan Trinity AT) and one of the older (300-350) K6/2 series
CPUs... AGP or PCI video (your choice)...

Quote:> Ok, before I start, don't laugh. I had an old 486/33 laying around, and
> having heard that Linux performance was more dependent on available memory
> than CPU speed, I decided to put the board to use. The system has 64MB of
> memory, a non-DMA/33 harddrive, and a local bus video card (and a gravis
> ultrasound sound card, but that's another story). Anyway, the system
> performs decently at the command prompt -- only heavy disk access becomes
> drag, such as doing a 'find / '. And performance as a server on my home
LAN
> is good, as a web server, DHCP, Samba, etc. server. KDE, however, is a
drag,
> so I have thought about upgrading the mother board, harddrive and video. I
> already have a spare DMA/33 harddrive (the current controller doesn't
> support it so I haven't installed it yet). I've been looking a some
> discontinued Socket-7 boards, and can probably get a motherboard (ASUS)
plus
> a P/233 for less than $100. Add a cheap PCI video card for another $20 to
> $30. This looks like a good speed boost for a very low price. The one
thing
> I've liked about the 486, though, is that the CPU doesn't need anything
more
> than a heatsink, and doesn't generate a lot of heat.

> I already have another system as my "fast" system, so I'm just looking for
> very cheap boost. Any suggestions? Any problems with Linux on the ASUS
> boards?

> Thanks.

> Wm.

1. Hardware info on 486 motherboard

Greetings to all - I inherited an older 486 motherboard with a 486-100OD cpu.
It has PCI slots and a built in SCSI port on the board.  I have no clue as to
how to get the correct drivers for it so that I can utilize the SCSI CDROM
that came with it.  I want to utilize it for a server at home to network 2
other machines.  It is also going to be my gunea pig server to learn
networking on it.  The following info is all I get at boot up:

PCI400C-A with NCR SCSI
Ref Id 07.1

Any help you could lend on drivers for the scsi port would be greatly
appreciated.  Please reply via email to reduce bandwidth on the newsgroup.

Sincerely,

Cliff Etzel

2. Running scripts automatically after rebooting.

3. Where is a 486 hardware compatibility list?

4. Input w/2.5.3-dj3

5. Hardware maintenance for 486 running SCO UNIX

6. rwall error-->slow reboot

7. SUNPC 486 : PC Hardware emulator on SUN SPARC

8. VGA Buffer Access

9. 486-based Unix hardware requirements (SCO/Solaris/Linux/BSD/...)

10. RedHat Linux 5.1 on 486/66, Hardware parameters

11. Hardware (?) problem with Linux on 486

12. 486 Hardware suggestions needed

13. PowerPC 486 hardware emulator + Linux ?