PCI bus problem with ASUS A7V?

Post by MH » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Recently installed an ASUS A7V (w/ AMD 800 TB) and experienced
intermittent problems with PCI devices.  The board I have does NOT have
onboard sound, and I am not using the ATA100 controller.  The first
thing I noticed was my NIC in PCI slot 3 was not recognized.  I replaced
it, thinking the NIC might be bad and that SEEMED to be the case.
Eventually, the second NIC went unrecognized, so I changed PCI slots.
Once again, everything was fine.

I then installed a sound card in PCI slot 3 and it worked fine, for a
time.  Eventually, the sound card was no longer recognized.  I moved it
to another PCI slot, and everything seemed fine.  I assumed that PCI
slot 3 was bad.  However, I had also been experiencing problems with my
SCSI CDROM.  It was attached to the secondary channel on my Adaptec 2940
UW.  For example, upon booting RH 6.2 from  the SCSI CDROM everything
went fine until I was asked to "place the RedHat CD in your drive" (or
something like that), at which point Linux no longer recognized the CD.
This occurred a couple of times, so I eventually bought another IDE
CDROM and installed it.  Then, I once tried to mount the SCSI CDROM and
discovered Linux didn't see it.  Rebooted the system and all was fine.

I'm not sure if I have some faulty hardware here, or whether it's a
problem with the VIA southbrige controller.  I hope it's the former, but
I fear it may be the latter.  I've returned the MB for replacement, so
I'll know soon.  Anyone experience similar problems with this type of
system?  Any long-term, rock-solid success stories out there?

Other components:  SB Live Value; ASUS Geforce DDR; 3COM 3C905B; Yamaha
16x4x4 CDRW; ASUS 50x IDE CDROM; 128 MB PC100 SDRAM ECC.

PCI bus problem with ASUS A7V?

Post by kept » Tue, 17 Oct 2000 04:00:00

just make sure your bios has plug and play turned off...this caused all of
my problems with the board. i was unable to configure my sound and network
cards which are in slots 4 and 3 respectively

> Recently installed an ASUS A7V (w/ AMD 800 TB) and experienced
> intermittent problems with PCI devices.  The board I have does NOT have
> onboard sound, and I am not using the ATA100 controller.  The first
> thing I noticed was my NIC in PCI slot 3 was not recognized.  I replaced
> it, thinking the NIC might be bad and that SEEMED to be the case.
> Eventually, the second NIC went unrecognized, so I changed PCI slots.
> Once again, everything was fine.

> I then installed a sound card in PCI slot 3 and it worked fine, for a
> time.  Eventually, the sound card was no longer recognized.  I moved it
> to another PCI slot, and everything seemed fine.  I assumed that PCI
> slot 3 was bad.  However, I had also been experiencing problems with my
> SCSI CDROM.  It was attached to the secondary channel on my Adaptec 2940
> UW.  For example, upon booting RH 6.2 from  the SCSI CDROM everything
> went fine until I was asked to "place the RedHat CD in your drive" (or
> something like that), at which point Linux no longer recognized the CD.
> This occurred a couple of times, so I eventually bought another IDE
> CDROM and installed it.  Then, I once tried to mount the SCSI CDROM and
> discovered Linux didn't see it.  Rebooted the system and all was fine.

> I'm not sure if I have some faulty hardware here, or whether it's a
> problem with the VIA southbrige controller.  I hope it's the former, but
> I fear it may be the latter.  I've returned the MB for replacement, so
> I'll know soon.  Anyone experience similar problems with this type of
> system?  Any long-term, rock-solid success stories out there?

> Other components:  SB Live Value; ASUS Geforce DDR; 3COM 3C905B; Yamaha
> 16x4x4 CDRW; ASUS 50x IDE CDROM; 128 MB PC100 SDRAM ECC.

1. Asus A7V pci problems & solutions

Hi !

I had trouble with my new Asus A7V to detect PCI ethernet (3c905b-tx) &
sound (sound blaster 128) cards.
They weren't detected during the bios boot sequence, they were detected
by windows 98, but not by FreeBSD 4.2.
The only workaround I found was to disabled the "pnp os" in the asus
bios setup.

bye
Pierre

Pierre Caruel -- R3/409 -- 05 62 17 88 33

Supaero/Ecole Nat. Sup. de l'Aeronautique et de l'Espace
French National Aerospace School

2. Changing a stubborn hostname.

3. Problems with Asus A7V Motherboard

4. Linux Just SUXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

5. Problems installing FreeBSD onto an ASUS A7V ..

6. internal modem that works

7. Asus A7V/333 problems

8. latest version of linux

9. Problem with asus a7v and quantum lm ultra ata 66

10. ASUS A7V UDMA installation problems

11. Agpgart problems?: G400, DRI, and VIA Apollo KT133 Chipset (Asus A7V mobo)

12. Problems with Yamaha CRW-8824/Asus A7V/RedHat 7.0

13. ASUS A7V ATA 100 problems